Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

There are nice views.  Here is the helicopter excursions.

image.thumb.png.bae7501a3b0f93c9a56716813dacf4fc.png

Great view of the ships.

image.thumb.png.d9b5d1704836e0cb3d12391efe6f6402.png

The trail became more of a challenge the further we went.
image.thumb.png.8343f3a96ca7c6264f6ca369a8050d05.png

image.thumb.png.2c2a3fab34f432469a0917d4b491c110.png

And when I started to walk to close to the edge to shoot I would hear NO shout out.  😇

image.thumb.png.ddf6726116bec813b8fdde1e993d0741.png

And It got steeper.   The boots were helping. 

image.thumb.png.2295a0acc7d530bce7443dd37b9cd2a3.png

• Like 9

I wonder if the ones that dropped in early and asked how the sail is and we were all saying how smooth it was.  Like sailing on glass!  Well the glass broke! If there were cameras around the boat you would think we were all wasted.   Many are bouncing off the walls. It is funny watching folks stumble into the Solarium. In between swells people pick up their pace before they are knocked to the side.  This video gives a hint but not justice.

Edited by Ozark_Kid
Posted two vids
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We headed back up with plans to head to head to Smugglers cove.

image.thumb.png.49a0e322dd07add281a4e44299bdc8b3.png

image.thumb.png.c5d82112e0434d013c48ba78fb1b532a.png

When we got back to this spot we found are large pile of fresh bear droppings.  They were  not there before.   I felt like there was no need for a pic.

image.thumb.png.8d361f43a156fce37f6e87096b190f41.png

When we got to the next ledge it was a big

drop down.  @Ocean Boy the moor whistle went off.  You are not going down.  She is good of taking care of her man that damaged his inner ear and does not have the best balance.   

image.thumb.png.a777966633edc46808fd7c7b27961a5c.png

Remember the wheel I spun and it said I would turn around?   We turned around. 

• Like 6

So we headed back and  you can see from the picks how steep the trail was getting.

image.thumb.png.80329215ef1c23cc5ab7511701a1ba26.png

.image.thumb.png.5cf5d9b3c01f7df2ea9eb564e3dfd929.png

image.thumb.png.7f615d16fdfda00c0c143be42d9e409e.png

At the point our dear friend was getting concerned and found a walking stick for me.  I left it at the end of the trail.

image.thumb.png.4e57abf8275a6fb33c57237d96cea8bf.png

The trail smoothed out at the end.

image.thumb.png.e2475dcaed428174898f864b186f0be7.png

I took this pic to try to show how windy it was getting. 

image.thumb.png.a92c4842965d3eab7a4ec9baa5b1a738.png

• Like 6

The boat is rocking big time and the wind is strong.   When I got back to the room my wife had the balcony door open.  I opened our room door and a huge vacuum of wind about blew me over and the balcony curtains were slapping the ceiling.   I am not exaggerating.  I took two hard steps in against the wind, the ship shifted and the wind suddenly stopped.   I flew across the room and landed In bed.  It's like being on a looooong roller coaster ride. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks Debbie.   I am so surprised that this is turning out to be one of my favorite cruises ever.  Yes I miss the warm beaches but this is a different neat experience.   I think after the Aruba cruise I want to start exploring overseas. 

So happy you are loving your cruise.  I agree, there is so much that I want to explore overseas too!  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The boat is rocking big time and the wind is strong.   When I got back to the room my wife had the balcony door open.  I opened our room door and a huge vacuum of wind about blew me over and the balcony curtains were slapping the ceiling.   I am not exaggerating.  I took two hard steps in against the wind, the ship shifted and the wind suddenly stopped.   I flew across the room and landed In bed.  It's like being on a looooong roller coaster ride. 

I suspect things should improve soon.  We arrived in SEA early this morning for Friday;s sailing and its insanely windy here too.  We watched a tall ship leave the harbor and felt sorry for the boat load of tourist and what they were about to encounter.  Looking at the forecast for Friday it shows much calmer winds!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We headed further to Yakutania Point.
image.thumb.png.57d01fd0cd2c61cde6e4fe6890082203.png

We were headed down.
image.thumb.png.8e764842d326cf6512d047938e1e18f9.png

Ended at a really cool spot.
image.thumb.png.8b72126f42a3ab146b2155d79230297b.png

image.thumb.png.898c87af9662332908742670f9da751c.png

image.thumb.png.e1810dda84464b86332f597a9db1bf63.png

image.thumb.png.898a843591e35f3f9eb14ffc1677e45e.png

image.thumb.png.c34337294715591edfbf0dee4635bb7f.png

This Is a spot worth hiking.  Maybe pack a lunch a day enjoy the area.

Weren't you afraid of coming across bears?  We saw several on one of our hikes a few years ago. It was a ship excursion and one of the guides had a high-powered rifle "just in case."

• Haha 2

The last cruise I was on to Alaska was the Rhapsody a few years ago in September.  It was a must to bring golashes and a rain coat......THis time of year would you recommend those items?  I dont want to use that space if I dont really need them:)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have been cruising for 23 years.   A few minutes ago I took my first Bonine.  We have been in larger rocks but this has been going on for a long time.

😱YIKES!! 😱 

Question....are they still having masks available, or should I pack my own?  Secondly, your fabulous photos have convinced me to get a new phone.  Why carry my heavy Canon around with this kind of photo quality.  Thanks!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Weren't you afraid of coming across bears?  We saw several on one of our hikes a few years ago. It was a ship excursion and one of the guides had a high-powered rifle "just in case."

I think everyone was more concerned with me falling down a steep hill.  Partly my balance but most me doing what I thought I could get away with to get a good pic.  😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tazzybear14 said:

The last cruise I was on to Alaska was the Rhapsody a few years ago in September.  It was a must to bring golashes and a rain coat......THis time of year would you recommend those items?  I dont want to use that space if I dont really need them:)

The weather is so unpredictable in Alaska.  We packed rain pouches and never pulled them out. At Skagway it drizzled most the day. I wore a winter leather jacket.   It got wet but not to bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

😱YIKES!! 😱 

Question....are they still having masks available, or should I pack my own?  Secondly, your fabulous photos have convinced me to get a new phone.  Why carry my heavy Canon around with this kind of photo quality.  Thanks!

They are no longer putting any in the room.  I am not sure if they would hand any out.  If you want to wear a mask, pack what you want.  

Back in the day I would bring my Ca on 50D and a small Canon water camera.  I was always concerned with losing them.  And packing lense.  I really enjoy just bringing a phone now.  If I get back into Photoshop and big prints I might get tempted to buy a small mirrorless camera 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:50 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Tonight we got to the MDR right at are scheduled dining time and we could see the line moving in.   We never had to stop.  It got a little crazy after that.   It took 1 hour and 15 minutes before the main meal was served.  1 hour and 45 minutes was spent there.

Catching up on this thread, as we were on Ovation right before you! We did the May 5-May 13 sailing. We had the same experience as this each night in the MDR except days when we were leaving port fairly late like in Juneau and Skagway. Usually about an hour to get our first course, usually about 2 to 2.25 hours in the MDR…kind of unfortunate considering we had entertainment we wanted to get to, and it just felt like dinner took up half of our day between getting ready and then actually being there. (Still scrolling through your thread and catching up, hoping things have improved as the week has gone on)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tazzybear14 said:

We bring cheap rain ponchos from Dollar Tree. They are a wear once & toss cause you'll never be able to fold them up again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cdunn2016 said:

Catching up on this thread, as we were on Ovation right before you! We did the May 5-May 13 sailing. We had the same experience as this each night in the MDR except days when we were leaving port fairly late like in Juneau and Skagway. Usually about an hour to get our first course, usually about 2 to 2.25 hours in the MDR…kind of unfortunate considering we had entertainment we wanted to get to, and it just felt like dinner took up half of our day between getting ready and then actually being there. (Still scrolling through your thread and catching up, hoping things have improved as the week has gone on)

I believe we will probably be going back to specialty dining next cruise. 

• Like 1