Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks Dani.  I bet I will have plenty to catch up on "the thread" when I get back!

There is no catching up on that thread. Your probably 10 pages behind by now🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our plan is to sail from Vancouver to Seward, then fly to Dutch Harbor. Laura's mom grew up there before the war.

The world cruise doesn't go there, but we get Antarctica and Norway/Iceland/Greenland 

Iceland and Greenland is on our bucket list. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I know a cruise you can take😉

You know I would love it.  Sharon would miss the Grandkids after the second week.  I would miss them after awhile but would try to fight through it.  😆 

• Haha 4

For those who like lighthouses.

image.thumb.png.6eb5244aafc29d1f76357a3e52cb934f.png

And they say this is an inactive volcano. 

image.thumb.png.4bcec903935fbac5e799ec829d6baa38.png

Although it's a lot of steps, it was worth going to the top.  We were able to find a ramp like path to go back down.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

For those who like lighthouses.

image.thumb.png.6eb5244aafc29d1f76357a3e52cb934f.png

And they say this is an inactive volcano. 

image.thumb.png.4bcec903935fbac5e799ec829d6baa38.png

Although it's a lot of steps, it was worth going to the top.  We were able to find a ramp like path to go back down.

We did the same thing last year when we were on Sitka.  I was tired and my knee was throbbing but I was glad we stumbled upon that little set of stairs.  Great views from there.

• Like 1

We got in the bus line about 2:30pm to head back to the pier.  About 5 buses loaded before we got on.  Wasn't a long wait.  When we got back to the pier Ovation had pulled away from the pier to allow Celebrity in.  Here are some waiting for a bus to town. It might look like a lot but by the time we shopped, there was a huge line behind this.  I would not be surprised if the last ones in line waited over an hour.

image.thumb.png.20b4fc48f8cc805c4f72542f9cd3da8b.png

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Before this I really never considered it.  After this trip I will do it again.  Will your world cruise bring you up here any?  If so you will love seeing the snow topped mountains. 

Since I live in the Seattle area, Alaska has always been my last choice for cruise itinerary. I have always loved seeing Alaska through the eyes of those that might not live in the same type of terrain. About the only thing we are missing in the PNW is glaciers. LOL

Having said that, although it is very much like where I live, Alaska is beautiful, and so peaceful, and the people are so kind. With all the craziness in other states, it would rate high on my places to move. Luckily, I like the cold and not fond of heat or sun. Crazy, I know.

Even though I just got back Fri., I’m already thinking of going back and seeing the places I missed. Your pictures have been amazing. Thanks for your review.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Iceland and Greenland is on our bucket list. 

When I lived in Cincinnati, WOW airlines offered very cheap flights from Cincinnati to Iceland.  I had several neighbors that flew there for a week or even just a long weekend to get the experience.  Those WOW flights only lasted about 6 months.  I heard that WOW was never able to make money.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Our plan is to sail from Vancouver to Seward, then fly to Dutch Harbor. Laura's mom grew up there before the war.

The world cruise doesn't go there, but we get Antarctica and Norway/Iceland/Greenland 

aw I hope to do Iceland next year on the new NCL Prima.  Not sure if I will ever get to Antarctica.

I will have to look up Dutch harbor 

• Like 1

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

aw I hope to do Iceland next year on the new NCL Prima.  Not sure if I will ever get to Antarctica.

I will have to look up Dutch harbor 

Aleutian Islands, all the way west. 

Deadliest Catch

• Like 3

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Aleutian Islands, all the way west. 

Deadliest Catch

oh okay.  I think that area is part of Earthquake area too.

But can you see russia from them islands.  sorry for joke ya know via SP - ha ha

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When I lived in Cincinnati, WOW airlines offered very cheap flights from Cincinnati to Iceland.  I had several neighbors that flew there for a week or even just a long weekend to get the experience.  Those WOW flights only lasted about 6 months.  I heard that WOW was never able to make money.  

Be from Ohio we have flown into Cinci from Arkansas but they were usually more expensive than surrounding airports.   I have heard they are more in line now.  The Wow would of been nice to take advantage of.

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yes.  Since retiring I have little use for a phone so when I got this one I was looking for a camera that had phone capabilities.   😆 It's a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.  It has a 10x lens that has really come in handy on this trip.

I'm due for a new phone I'll have to look into that one.

Edited by Lorey2007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When the tender got to the ship we slapped up against it.  It got a few to jump.  We loaded up the tenders and left Celebrity behind.

image.thumb.png.cb4fc2589149a7b60b7e72a95460bffa.png

I've never had to tender in a lifeboat😬

Edited by Lorey2007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I'm due for a new phone I'll have to look into that one.

They have come out with S22 since I have bought this one.  You might want to compare.   I did not see much difference. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Since I live in the Seattle area, Alaska has always been my last choice for cruise itinerary. I have always loved seeing Alaska through the eyes of those that might not live in the same type of terrain. About the only thing we are missing in the PNW is glaciers. LOL

Having said that, although it is very much like where I live, Alaska is beautiful, and so peaceful, and the people are so kind. With all the craziness in other states, it would rate high on my places to move. Luckily, I like the cold and not fond of heat or sun. Crazy, I know.

Even though I just got back Fri., I’m already thinking of going back and seeing the places I missed. Your pictures have been amazing. Thanks for your review.

I feel the same way.  I was born, raised and lived 48 of my 56 years in Vancouver, BC and have travelled all over BC, WA and OR. Now I call central CA my home and love the sunshine but in my mind the PNW is the most beautiful place in the world.  Alaska is not dissimilar and I loved my cruise there last year but in spite of having been saturated in its beauty for most of my life I am looking forward to another this year in August.  I love cold to but prefer my rain in more a more solid and white form and confined to the mountains.  

For avid cruisers who have never done an Alaskan cruise, you have to do it.  The experience is unforgettable.  Thank you @Ozark_Kid for this awesome live review.  It is pumping me up for mine in August.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1