Jump to content

Ice Cream on the Celebrity Summit


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Veinless said:

Anyone know what toppings are available these days? I recall sour patch kids in 2020. 

gummy bears, choc sprinkles, multi color sprinkles, choc syrup, strawberry syrup, caramel syrup

I don't recall sour patch kids or nuts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 9:16 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

It's not self serve on M class.  The question was about Summit which is an M class ship.

mast grill ice cream on summit is most certainly self-serve unless it has changed in the past 6 months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 5/16/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cinderellie said:

That sounds great, kenb, "IF" we liked coffee. But thanks for the suggestion. Others may love it.

If you have the premium drink package, order an Affogato, but ask for the espresso on the side.  Eat the gelato, and leave the espresso.  Now you have free gelato!  (maybe that's why they took it off the menu?) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, moneeman said:

 

If you have the premium drink package, order an Affogato, but ask for the espresso on the side.  Eat the gelato, and leave the espresso.  Now you have free gelato!  (maybe that's why they took it off the menu?) 

all to cheat them out of a $5 fee?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After spending a few thousand dollars why does Celebrity insist on such insulting charges for not very good gelato?  There's almost zero difference between the milk fat content between what Celebrity calls ice cream vs gelato, and they are not keeping them at different temps.  It was a memorable and ridiculous experience to be told that there was a charge for unlabeled gelato vs the ice cream in the same case.  Even if it was somehow super premium ice cream (which gelato would never be) or served at a different temp (it should be) a charge makes no sense for an inclusive experience, or any other distinguishing package like the premium drink package. It would not be surprising to lean that all ice cream and gelato on the ships is made from the same multimix vanilla flavored base in the blue cartons that is used for soft serve and at most bars when they need a faux cream base. We looked it up while on the ship, and it's promoted by the foodservice companies as a value mix.  (It's perfectly fine for what it is, and may be less full of extra ingredients than some.  Celeb seems to avoid some ingredients in its purchasing, but that may be a function of picking supply outside the U.S., e.g., French fries are from some non-US company). The selection of toppings is also on the skimpy side compared to a real world ice cream stand.

 

On the plus side, the ice cream, gelato, and soft serve aren't very heavy and, in fact, probably on the low end of the milkfat scale, gums, etc.  So there are better and thicker frozen desserts comparatively speaking, but these are perfectly fine for 80-100 temps on a hot day when one is also ingesting a lot of other food.  We'd keep them as compared to going towards chemical tasting products.  The favors correlate to Monin syrups on board, e.g., lavender, so it's possible that's the source of the flavoring.  Those are higher quality mass produced syrups compared to many other name brands and seem "clean."

 

And, usually the ice cream attendants are some of the friendliest crew.  Reeza and on Edge this Spring memorized the names of everyone that shares one, and was a real ambassador to the ship.  He greeted everyone.   Far more engaged than the cruise activity team who seems to be going through the motions.  Though no one goes on a Celebrity ship for a loud and obnoxious cruise director and events team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

After spending a few thousand dollars why does Celebrity insist on such insulting charges for not very good gelato?  There's almost zero difference between the milk fat content between what Celebrity calls ice cream vs gelato, and they are not keeping them at different temps.  It was a memorable and ridiculous experience to be told that there was a charge for unlabeled gelato vs the ice cream in the same case.  Even if it was somehow super premium ice cream (which gelato would never be) or served at a different temp (it should be) a charge makes no sense for an inclusive experience, or any other distinguishing package like the premium drink package. It would not be surprising to lean that all ice cream and gelato on the ships is made from the same multimix vanilla flavored base in the blue cartons that is used for soft serve and at most bars when they need a faux cream base. We looked it up while on the ship, and it's promoted by the foodservice companies as a value mix.  (It's perfectly fine for what it is, and may be less full of extra ingredients than some.  Celeb seems to avoid some ingredients in its purchasing, but that may be a function of picking supply outside the U.S., e.g., French fries are from some non-US company). The selection of toppings is also on the skimpy side compared to a real world ice cream stand.

 

On the plus side, the ice cream, gelato, and soft serve aren't very heavy and, in fact, probably on the low end of the milkfat scale, gums, etc.  So there are better and thicker frozen desserts comparatively speaking, but these are perfectly fine for 80-100 temps on a hot day when one is also ingesting a lot of other food.  We'd keep them as compared to going towards chemical tasting products.  The favors correlate to Monin syrups on board, e.g., lavender, so it's possible that's the source of the flavoring.  Those are higher quality mass produced syrups compared to many other name brands and seem "clean."

 

And, usually the ice cream attendants are some of the friendliest crew.  Reeza and on Edge this Spring memorized the names of everyone that shares one, and was a real ambassador to the ship.  He greeted everyone.   Far more engaged than the cruise activity team who seems to be going through the motions.  Though no one goes on a Celebrity ship for a loud and obnoxious cruise director and events team.

Very simple...don't buy the gelato. How easy is that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

all to cheat them out of a $5 fee?

All in fun, Guppy.  It's not even on the menu anymore.  I always pay full price for my (infrequent) gelato.  I'm a numbers guy, and enjoy pointing out pricing discrepancies.  I remember a few years ago McDonalds had a breakfast special where you could buy 2 egg mcmuffins for $3.33 where a single one cost $3.79.  I only wanted one, but I pointed out that they were selling 2 for less, so I wanted to pay the lesser price.  It blew their minds.  They put two on my tray.  I handed one back to them and walked off laughing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, moneeman said:

All in fun, Guppy.  It's not even on the menu anymore.  I always pay full price for my (infrequent) gelato.  I'm a numbers guy, and enjoy pointing out pricing discrepancies.  I remember a few years ago McDonalds had a breakfast special where you could buy 2 egg mcmuffins for $3.33 where a single one cost $3.79.  I only wanted one, but I pointed out that they were selling 2 for less, so I wanted to pay the lesser price.  It blew their minds.  They put two on my tray.  I handed one back to them and walked off laughing.

Ah... yup, it is amazing. What's utterly incredible is that when you explain no one gets what your talking about!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, Guppy99 said:

mast grill ice cream on summit is most certainly self-serve unless it has changed in the past 6 months

There was no self serve on the May 13 sailing.  Only hand scooped in the OV or the gelato.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe there are self serve soft serve machines at the Mast Grill on both M and S class ships. There is also soft serve behind the ice cream case on S class that is served by the attendant there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, 39august said:

I believe there are self serve soft serve machines at the Mast Grill on both M and S class ships. There is also soft serve behind the ice cream case on S class that is served by the attendant there. 

yup. Vanilla, sometimes chocolate & strawberry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I believe there are self serve soft serve machines at the Mast Grill on both M and S class ships. There is also soft serve behind the ice cream case on S class that is served by the attendant there. 

 

You can believe anything you choose to.  However, several recent cruisers have reported that there was no soft serve available.  There was none on the April 25 and May 4 cruises on the Summit.  A poster above reported none on the May 13 cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...