One pax tested poz 3 days prior - options?

TrinaLC

22 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know that I understand the advice to do a no show. If you do a no show, you're paying 2 cruise fares for one person. If you call and cancel one person due to the positive Covid test, we don't know for sure what would happen. But worst case, they charge the single supplement for the other person (which might end up costing about the same as the no show option) but in addition you get a FCC for the person canceled.

Better case, which seems quite plausible to me, is that Carnival doesn't penalize the other person in the cabin for their cabinmate testing positive by charging the single supplement. That would be far better than a no show because the sick person gets the FCC and the other person just pays the normal amount.

The only reason I can see to do the no show is if you have insurance and would rather collect on that than get a FCC. But the OP didn't have insurance.

What am I missing?

I think it is the chance that the whole reservation will be cancelled.  The way I read it the whole cabin can not board?  I am not sure how this works.  If I was not exposed and did not live with my cabin mate, I would want to go. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I think it is the chance that the whole reservation will be cancelled.  The way I read it the whole cabin can not board?  I am not sure how this works.  If I was not exposed and did not live with my cabin mate, I would want to go. 

Yeah, that might be it. Which brings in the question of whether there are still last minute cabins available for the other person, and how much they cost, into the decision making on to whether to no show or cancel.

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know that I understand the advice to do a no show. If you do a no show, you're paying 2 cruise fares for one person. If you call and cancel one person due to the positive Covid test, we don't know for sure what would happen. But worst case, they charge the single supplement for the other person (which might end up costing about the same as the no show option) but in addition you get a FCC for the person canceled.

Better case, which seems quite plausible to me, is that Carnival doesn't penalize the other person in the cabin for their cabinmate testing positive by charging the single supplement. That would be far better than a no show because the sick person gets the FCC and the other person just pays the normal amount.

The only reason I can see to do the no show is if you have insurance and would rather collect on that than get a FCC. But the OP didn't have insurance.

What am I missing?

Since everyone is connected to the same reservation (part of your travelling party), everyone could be cancelled so no cruise for anyone.  If you didn't pay much for the second person, then the no show route ensures you still have a cruise vacation.  That was our logic - we felt the price for our cabins were good enough for solo cruisers, so we kept both cabins and enjoyed the extra space and privacy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

What am I missing?

Cruise fare is minimal sometimes, getting port fees/taxes returned, a single cabin at a great price and no hassle is what you're missing. 😄

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Cruise fare is minimal sometimes, getting port fees/taxes returned, a single cabin at a great price and no hassle is what you're missing. 😄

Well, you'd get the port fees/taxes back either way, no show or canceling as Covid positive, so that's not the difference. What I was missing is that the entire booking would be canceled, not just the positive person's portion of it.