One pax tested poz 3 days prior - options?

TrinaLC

We are a family of four sailing in 2 cabins. All paid for by “mom” on her CC. 

One tested positive and won’t cruise. We don’t share a household with this person, they were going to fly in and join us. 

What are our options? (We don’t have travel insurance. That is a deliberate choice. We “self insure” and over the decades are way out on top. If we don’t get FCC I’m fine with that, but if it is on the table don’t want to let it go.)

can you cancel one in a room and get a FFC?  But then does ‘single supplement’ kick in?

Would they let us swap someone else in without penalty?

If only one pax sails in that cabin, can he get the drink package for himself?  They weren’t going to get it as the other pax doesn’t drink.  

Edited by TrinaLC

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You're going to want to call Carnival with all those questions for accurate answers and options THEY may have for you. 

Hah!  Slim to none chance some random person who answers the Carnival phone line will give you accurate answers. Time and time again better information here.  

(And have you tried calling recently? Hold times through the roof and a ton of newbie agents well meaning but clueless.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Hah!  Slim to none chance some random person who answers the Carnival phone line will give you accurate answers. Time and time again better information here.  

(And have you tried calling recently? Hold times through the roof and a ton of newbie agents well meaning but clueless.)

At least as accurate as some random, anonymous poster on the Internet 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Have them (positive person) be a no-show and carry on with your cruise. Port fees/taxes will be refunded for that person. That's your best bet if you're wanting to roll without drama. If no one is exposed then you can answer all health questions truthfully and enjoy your cruise. I wouldn't bother calling Carnival, it will only cause confusion, potential misinformation and they may try to cancel you all. If you're really wanting to go, this is your best bet. Have a great cruise!  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 16

22 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Have them (positive person) be a no-show and carry on with your cruise. Port fees/taxes will be refunded for that person. That's your best bet if you're wanting to roll without drama. If no one is exposed then you can answer all health questions truthfully and enjoy your cruise. I wouldn't bother calling Carnival, it will only cause confusion, potential misinformation and they may try to cancel you all. If you're really wanting to go, this is your best bet. Have a great cruise!  

This ^^^^^^^^^

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I posted a very similar question a couple days ago.  In our case, the person testing positive could cancel to get a FCC.  Seems they won't be a no-show because they reported the + test and got a credit.  I wonder what would happen to the remaining passenger that is now a single in that cabin.  

Just now, ldubs said:

I posted a very similar question a couple days ago.  In our case, the person testing positive could cancel to get a FCC.  Seems they won't be a no-show because they reported the + test and got a credit.  I wonder what would happen to the remaining passenger that is now a single in that cabin.  

Less chance of a single supplement for a no-show IMO (since they keep base fare). Higher chance of charge if covid reported for a FCC (since fare refunded).

I think we’ll go with the no drama of a no show. 

I hope that occupant can get a solo drink package!  Probably need a separate topic but if anyone knows…

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Less chance of a single supplement for a no-show IMO (since they keep base fare). Higher chance of charge if covid reported for a FCC (since fare refunded).

Yeah, that makes sense.  Hopefully our friend will test negative in the next few days and this won't be an issue.   

TrinaLC -- Sorry for the slight detour & thx.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At least as accurate as some random, anonymous poster on the Internet 

No, not at all. You can pretty much but not always tell by a CC post. These are pretty hardcore cruisers for the most part. Phone service by Carnival is much less on point. Most have never cruised, received very little training, and the Carnival policies themselves are not clear. If someone on Cc can offer up actual experience it is far more valuable. 

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  Hopefully our friend will test negative in the next few days and this won't be an issue.   

TrinaLC -- Sorry for the slight detour & thx.    

:)

12 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

I think we’ll go with the no drama of a no show. 

I hope that occupant can get a solo drink package!  Probably need a separate topic but if anyone knows…

If you go with the no drama version, that passenger should be able to buy on board if they only want to pay for one, they can also pay for two pre-cruise (lower rate) and the no-show will be refunded when they no show. 

We had two cabins and one of the four cruisers tested positive.  She and her mom were no shows (they don’t live with us) so my other granddaughter and I went and had our own rooms.  It was lovely.  Figured that was better than all four of us having to cancel.  Taxes and fees were refunded for the no shows. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If you go with the no drama version, that passenger should be able to buy on board if they only want to pay for one, they can also pay for two pre-cruise (lower rate) and the no-show will be refunded when they no show. 

Oh good idea! Thanks. 

Pretty sure the Carnival 800 number would not have had this information!

Edited by TrinaLC

A no show guarantees no FCC. Only port taxes and fees would be refunded.

Calling Carnival is the only way to get accurate pricing for the various options, and you do have options. What would Mom say?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This is pretty darn brilliant.

Don't risk toppling the apple cart, just have them no-show, and say "they must've tested positive" and go about your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Had this happen at Xmas time.  This is what we did because we didn’t want to pay the single supplement fair.  No show like everyone mentioned but while on the ship getting ready to sail I shot off a email message to my PVP with the positive test info asking what to do.  Let him know I was on the cruise and didn’t have email access for the week.  Didn’t have to pay the single supplement and got FCC.  I wanted a paper trail that I contacted carnival prior to the ship sailing.  It took a few months but I eventually got he FCC for the cruiser. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PSU2LSU said:

Had this happen at Xmas time.  This is what we did because we didn’t want to pay the single supplement fair.  No show like everyone mentioned but while on the ship getting ready to sail I shot off a email message to my PVP with the positive test info asking what to do.  Let him know I was on the cruise and didn’t have email access for the week.  Didn’t have to pay the single supplement and got FCC.  I wanted a paper trail that I contacted carnival prior to the ship sailing.  It took a few months but I eventually got he FCC for the cruiser. 

This type of stuff will ensure they sew up any leeway. Technically a great idea but poor in spirit, they will shut the no-show down if folks abuse it and double-dip. Probably better to not broadcast this type of angle. Pretty genius though, I'll give you that! 😁

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This type of stuff will ensure they sew up any leeway. Technically a great idea but poor in spirit, they will shut the no-show down if folks abuse it and double-dip. Probably better to not broadcast this type of angle. Pretty genius though, I'll give you that! 😁

Well at Xmas time the phone lines were jam packed and you couldn't get through to anyone knowledgable.  I don't know if my PVP was on vacation or just busy but I couldn't get a hold of him either.  Also back then you had to get a test two days prior to cruising and I was trying to get the other PAX to retest.   

8 hours ago, oyme said:

If you had insurance, wouldn't you also be able to submit a claim to travel insurance as well? Would you get both the FCC and the payment from your travel ins.?

We had insurance but never filed because I was assured I would get the FCC.  It did take a few months for them to review the documents I sent in but I eventually got the FCC.  I believe the insurance company would want proof from Carnival that we didn't get FCC and had a monetary loss so we didn't pursue the insurance angle. 

On 5/16/2022 at 8:34 PM, lazydayz said:

We had two cabins and one of the four cruisers tested positive.  She and her mom were no shows (they don’t live with us) so my other granddaughter and I went and had our own rooms.  It was lovely.  Figured that was better than all four of us having to cancel.  Taxes and fees were refunded for the no shows. 

So you gave up on the FCC for the positive person and their cabinmate in order to get two singles? If paying for 4 people so 2 people can have singles is a good trade for you, then why didn't you just book singles to begin with? (Since singles generally pay about double as far as I know)

I don't know that I understand the advice to do a no show. If you do a no show, you're paying 2 cruise fares for one person. If you call and cancel one person due to the positive Covid test, we don't know for sure what would happen. But worst case, they charge the single supplement for the other person (which might end up costing about the same as the no show option) but in addition you get a FCC for the person canceled.

Better case, which seems quite plausible to me, is that Carnival doesn't penalize the other person in the cabin for their cabinmate testing positive by charging the single supplement. That would be far better than a no show because the sick person gets the FCC and the other person just pays the normal amount.

The only reason I can see to do the no show is if you have insurance and would rather collect on that than get a FCC. But the OP didn't have insurance.

What am I missing?