Emed testing when on a pre cruise landtour to board ship

welshrich

Hello

We are on an RCI landtour in June before boarding Radiance of the Seas in Seward.  We don't need a test for the tour anymore but have been told to bring an eMed test to gain entry onto the ship.  As we are from the UK I'm not sure what type to get, is it the standard antigen test which the tour leader observes or does it have to be a proctored test?

I’m on the same RCL cruise. So glad the test requirement has been dropped for the pre-cruise tour portion! I purchased the Abbott Binox emed tests (monitored) through the RCL website. We’ll use them in Anchorage the day before the cruise. Make sure to tuck them in your carry-on if you plan to have the tour handle your larger bags. 

2 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hello

We are on an RCI landtour in June before boarding Radiance of the Seas in Seward.  We don't need a test for the tour anymore but have been told to bring an eMed test to gain entry onto the ship.  As we are from the UK I'm not sure what type to get, is it the standard antigen test which the tour leader observes or does it have to be a proctored test?

I am on a July land tour, did royal send you something stating no test needed for land portion?

59 minutes ago, bob63005 said:

I am on a July land tour, did royal send you something stating no test needed for land portion?

Hi, yes, it was on May 12th, an email about updated protocols that testing was only required for boarding the ship and not the RCI land tour.

To play it safe @welshrich I'd be arranging an American-based test with proctoring - we have had enough reports confirming that Canadian authorities are happy to accept the FDA-approved 'free to all US citizens who ask for them' Antigen tests, provided they were officially proctored, but rather than take the risk that any test acquired in the UK will also be compliant I'd spring for something like eMed tests, which include x number of test kits and the fee for proctoring each bult-in.

The crux is that the person who observes has to produce a report, in Canadian-Government-acceptable format, with type of test, time of test, results of test - and then get those results to you in time to board. Cruise lines have been allowing prepurchase of these through their usual channels for buying stuff onboard on advance, but that's something to check with RCI about...

• Like 1

Morning Welshrich

We are using Project Screen by  Prenetics to be bought in the UK and delivered by DPD and are £30 each. They do have to be monitored and you book an appointment to be observed by a telehealth consultant so you will need WiFi access. They are FDA authorised.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

• Like 1

Just following on from my last reply, I ordered mine yesterday and they are being delivered today by DPD. When you book your observed appointment make sure you adjust the time zone (top right of screen there is a drop down box). I have booked appointments for June and there are plenty available. DO NOT open or register your your test until the monitored appointment. The appointment is for one person only so I have booked 7.12-7.24 and then 7.24-7.36 for my husband.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Challenger540 said:

Just following on from my last reply, I ordered mine yesterday and they are being delivered today by DPD. When you book your observed appointment make sure you adjust the time zone (top right of screen there is a drop down box). I have booked appointments for June and there are plenty available. DO NOT open or register your your test until the monitored appointment. The appointment is for one person only so I have booked 7.12-7.24 and then 7.24-7.36 for my husband.

Hope that helps.

thankyou for this, it's really useful.

Be sure to watch one of the you tube videos so you will know exactly what to do and where any difficulty might be.  Very helpful and we learned it is useful to have a pr if scissors next to you as the box can be hard to open and you do it being watched.   One might want to purchase an extra test to have on hand just in case you need it. Be sure to preload the NAVICA App especially if you will be coming from another country.  We purchased these from the cruiseline.  When we last boarded in LA we did not have appt for the test we just went online when we were ready. 

On 5/20/2022 at 3:19 AM, Challenger540 said:

Hope that helps.

We will be arriving in Vancouver 3 days prior to our cruise in August. We will need to take these tests with us for embarkation. Can you tell me how long after you ordered them  you received them.  Also, how far out are the appointment time/dates?

We have ours in hand for a cruise for both June and July. Took a few days to get them. You do not need to make online appts. You just log on when you are ready. Each person will have to log on separately.  We did them in the evening two days before our cruise when we used them in Nov.  Be sure to download the NAVICA App.