Internet Voom Surf - PLUS STREAM

Can someone tell me the difference between Surf and Stream internet packages?  I'm assuming you can text/imessage, etc on just the SURF and streaming is for you tubes, movies, etc plus texting/messages?

Thanks

I have seen prior posts on this. If you just plan to text or check a couple of emails, then the basic version will work. If you are planning on using Social Media, Facetime, Movies, ect. then it will help to upgrade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hollon said:

Can someone tell me the difference between Surf and Stream internet packages? 

Functionally there's no diff (everything mostly works on both tiers) but the ~8X higher speed of Stream (4Mbps vs .5Mbps down) may make some apps/things work better. Sometimes a bigger diff in performance is when you go from a non-O3B ship to one which has it.

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Surf is worthless for anything more than checking email or messaging.  IF you plan on doing anything other than that get stream.  Surf is not dissimilar to your old dial-up internet.

On Oasis it was fine. 

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

On Oasis it was fine. 

Just now, UK_Cruiser99 said:

I had surf on odyssesy of the seas and was able to chrome cast youtube to the tv with no issues.

Really! I had it on Liberty, which is O3B as well, and it was awful! 

Also, upload speeds seem to be almost unusably slow.  I remember trying to upload a few pics via email and it took hours - as in I left it sending when I went to sleep one night, and it still wasn't done at 6am when I woke up.  These were not large photos, either.   I finally just saved uploads for when I had access to WiFi or cell service in port.   

Had no problems with Surf on Symphony two weeks ago in Caribbean for wifi calling and myVegas games that usually can't handle dropouts.  Port side of Solarium had weak signal and lots of dropouts, starboard side was fine.  Then we hit heavy rain and lost internet for a couple of hours.  Ship stuff obviously still worked fine.