Are tour operators cutting back?

I don't think this is a problem in Caribbean ports, but the ship excursions were generally all sold out months before our sailing in Europe. This was on a transatlantic in May. The private companies were also sold out. I asked onboard, and they blamed the shortfall on the tour companies not being avaiable. There were also no tour companies at the port offering trips. 

Is this problem a local one or is it prevalent, perhaps because many tour operators don't want to be exposed to Covid? Perhaps many have gone out of business?  We thought the problem because we made our booking just two weeks before sailing, but then were told the tours sold out months before.

Edited by Markanddonna

8 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I don't think this is a problem in Caribbean ports, but the ship excursions were generally all sold out months before our sailing in Europe. This was on a transatlantic in May. The private companies were also sold out. I asked onboard, and they blamed the shortfall on the tour companies not being avaiable. There were also no tour companies at the port offering trips. 

Is this problem a local one or is it prevalent, perhaps because many tour operators don't want to be exposed to Covid? Perhaps many have gone out of business?  We thought the problem because we made our booking just two weeks before sailing, but then were told the tours sold out months before.

Could part of it be attributed to guides who were out of work for so long because of Covid found other jobs?

• Like 3

This is no doubt the result of the virus lockdown; ShoreX operators were unable to stay viable in the face of no revenue for years.  Everyone had to scramble to get work and take care of their families.  I'm sure they don't want to leave those jobs to come back to providing ShoreXs when the government could just shut everything down again whenever they please. 

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

There were also no tour companies at the port offering trips. 

This was not as prevalent in European ports as in the Caribbean.

Tourism is still generally slow in Europe and as mentioned above, many guides got other jobs as they could not depend on the volume of tourists increasing quickly to pre-Covid levels.  

Perhaps by 2023 summer season it will have recovered, but 2022 will be difficult.

The OP does ask a great question.  Perhaps most folks just do not understand that the entire tourist industry (worldwide) has been thrown into chaos because of COVID.  Tour companies have gone out of business, changed ownership, etc.  Professional guides have disappeared as they moved on to jobs where that allowed them to survive during COVID.  To some degree, the entire tour industry will need to be rebuilt and this is going to take some time.  

Folks also need to understand that cruise lines do not operate their own excursions, but generally work through land-based third party companies.  We just spent a few weeks traveling in parts of Europe (independently) and I saw no sign that locals had much fear of COVID.  To a great degree, much of Europe has returned to normal with little masking, no social distancing, and very few COVID restrictions.  But many who used to work in the tourist industry have obviously moved on to other jobs.  We saw some signs that locally based tour providers were starting to get their act together, but I suspect that the larger companies that specialized in dealing with cruise lines are having a tough time given the problems within the cruise industry (i.e. cancelled voyages, low capacity on ships, etc).

For those of us who travel independently (on cruises and land trips) much has moved back to normal.  But we do not generally depend on tour guides, large tour companies, etc.  For us, traveling around Europe (just returned home this week) felt very normal.  It is the same in the Caribbean where we simply go off on our own so it is just a matter of renting a car, finding a taxi, or using local public transit.  But connecting with tour companies (who lost many of their employees) is different and it will take some time for things to return to normal.

Hank

• Like 1

The current situation would have only impacted us if we really wanted to do a D-Day sort of excursion, but we did a WWII research trip in 2018. We managed to travel by train and bus all around and did our own thing, which is typical. Some passengers stayed onboard because they either aren't in good enough condition to endure independent tours or just don't want the unpredictable nature of bus and train travel.  On the other hand, those who ventured out on their own may have learned that independent tours are a preferred way to go!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The current situation would have only impacted us if we really wanted to do a D-Day sort of excursion, but we did a WWII research trip in 2018. We managed to travel by train and bus all around and did our own thing, which is typical. Some passengers stayed onboard because they either aren't in good enough condition to endure independent tours or just don't want the unpredictable nature of bus and train travel.  On the other hand, those who ventured out on their own may have learned that independent tours are a preferred way to go!

There will always be a fair percentage of cruise passengers who are either physically unable or mentally uncomfortable with doing things on their own. In some cases that's probably for the best -- I felt more comfortable as my cruise-loving parents aged, knowing that they were taking a shore excursion through the ship and in all likelihood someone would be available to take charge should they fall or get separated from the group.

On my April cruise out of Southampton down the Atlantic coast of France, Spain and Portugal, there were a majority of UK passengers onboard, most of whom seemed more comfortable than US cruisers with DIY.  At almost every port it was easy to either walk into town and then get around via public transport, or the ship or port laid on a shuttle. At a minimum, this was an easy enough undertaking for most. However, I still met up with a few folks onboard who would not venture off the ship without the security of a shore excursion...

Tourism depends on having tourists. And as we've seen in other areas, once demand picks up, supply will lag behind. Eventually it's likely that the equilibrium will be restored; be patient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There will always be a fair percentage of cruise passengers who are either physically unable or mentally uncomfortable with doing things on their own. In some cases that's probably for the best -- I felt more comfortable as my cruise-loving parents aged, knowing that they were taking a shore excursion through the ship and in all likelihood someone would be available to take charge should they fall or get separated from the group.

On my April cruise out of Southampton down the Atlantic coast of France, Spain and Portugal, there were a majority of UK passengers onboard, most of whom seemed more comfortable than US cruisers with DIY.  At almost every port it was easy to either walk into town and then get around via public transport, or the ship or port laid on a shuttle. At a minimum, this was an easy enough undertaking for most. However, I still met up with a few folks onboard who would not venture off the ship without the security of a shore excursion...

Tourism depends on having tourists. And as we've seen in other areas, once demand picks up, supply will lag behind. Eventually it's likely that the equilibrium will be restored; be patient.

And there are passengers who will also not do private tours, only ship excursions.

When we had our Baltic cruise in 2007, we had a very small roll call. I contacted the major private tour companies for St. Petersburg and was most comfortable with Alla. My DW picked one of her tours, and I then asked others on the roll call if they wished to join. The only couple that did not join stating they would only a Princess excursion was actually a couple we had met before the cruise as they lived only one town away from DW's mother on Long Island.

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We toured independently plus some cruises for 45 years.  You just learn so much more on a tour, plus there's no stress on the planner/navigator's part. I just want to be rich enough to hire a private car and guide in every port so I don't have to get up early and can still learn all about the area.  For the foreseeable future, I'll be getting up early to join a tour. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

You just learn so much more on a tour

Not necessarily the case if you put in the time to read and research in advance. I've actually gotten to the point where basic tours annoy me due to all the incorrect information and "myths" that are passed along as truth.  I'm not trying to brag, but I've had tour operators ask me for copies of my notes.

On cruise ships I like to dine with others in the evenings and often conversations turn to what we did that day. So many people I chat with, especially on European cruises, take ship or private tours that visit multiple sites -- and then at the end of the day cannot even remember the names of the places they visited that day. Going over something multiple times at home before arriving at the place and experiencing it makes it much more likely that I'll retain the info.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not necessarily the case if you put in the time to read and research in advance. I've actually gotten to the point where basic tours annoy me due to all the incorrect information and "myths" that are passed along as truth.  I'm not trying to brag, but I've had tour operators ask me for copies of my notes.

On cruise ships I like to dine with others in the evenings and often conversations turn to what we did that day. So many people I chat with, especially on European cruises, take ship or private tours that visit multiple sites -- and then at the end of the day cannot even remember the names of the places they visited that day. Going over something multiple times at home before arriving at the place and experiencing it makes it much more likely that I'll retain the info.

Totally agree. As a researcher generally focusing on history, I do my prep at home, visit the site/museum and then do more extensive research when I return. I have learned that I generally forget 90+% of what tour guides say.  For example, I am writing an article on Jorvik, the Viking center in York, England. Armed with my photos, a book I bought there, and other internet resources, I will know far more than what I learned on the tour. All of our learning doesn't have to take place at the site or museum.

BTW, I recall sitting in the Sistine Chapel on the benches by the walls listening to my free Rick Steves audio app.  It started like this: "Look up at God's finger touching Adam's..."  All around me were people on tours standing trying to listen to their tour guide getting shushed by the guards. We sat in comfort, getting a comprehensive tour that could be paused on demand.  We did the same thing last week at the British Museum and then in Old London. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I recall sitting in the Sistine Chapel on the benches by the walls

Benches in the Sistine Chapel is something that I don't recall seeing during my two visits to this magnificent site.

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

So many people I chat with, especially on European cruises, take ship or private tours that visit multiple sites -- and then at the end of the day cannot even remember the names of the places they visited that day.

Don't torch me, please, but that is sometimes the way I am after a day of visiting a few church or cathedrals.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Benches in the Sistine Chapel is something that I don't recall seeing during my two visits to this magnificent site.

Don't torch me, please, but that is sometimes the way I am after a day of visiting a few church or cathedrals.  

I am also guilty of spending significant time sitting on one of the benches in the Sistine Chapel.  They are located along the sides and would likely be missed by folks on group tours (unless their guide took them to the side and said "that is a bench.").  The first time we ever visited we were on a cruise ship excursion where we were rushed through the Vatican Museum in order to keep to our schedule.  On subsequent visits, DW and I simply went on our own which allowed us to spend a lot more time in the parts of the museum that we found interesting.  As to the Sistine Chapel, sitting on one of the side benches made it possible for me to spend about a half hour just gazing up at the ceiling (difficult to do this if you are standing in the center).  

Having visited the Vatican 4 times plus touring the catacombs (below St Peters) have always left me in awe of the art, engineering, skill of the construction workers, etc.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

They are located along the sides and would likely be missed by folks on group tours (unless their guide took them to the side and said "that is a bench.").

Hank, you are too funny. 😂

Visiting the Vatican is one place that separates the men from the boys in tourism and shows who does their research. We bought our tickets before we left the states and didn't have to stand in that ungodly long line for tickets. It is hard to believe that many people are clueless about preordering.

We arrived early and the ticket window for preorders switched ours to an early time for the Vatican Museum. Back when we went, you could use "the secret exit" in the Sistine to St. Peters. I think I read that it is no longer available.  We used Rick Steves' apps in both the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. 

You can see them along the wall in the photo below:

The-Cantoria‖ viewed from the Sistine Chapel. | Download Scientific Diagram

All the people on the benches are the ones who didn't pay for a tour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Having visited the Vatican 4 times plus touring the catacombs (below St Peters) have always left me in awe of the art, engineering, skill of the construction workers, etc.

I have only been there twice.  The first time was on a tour and I knew when the tour was finished that I had not seen all that I had expected.  No Raphael Rooms, as an example.  

The second time, I did it on my own.  I had done more research and had purchased a good guide book.  I took my time; I stepped aside and let the tour groups go through and pass me by; then, I resumed my tour.  I spent a good part of a day in the Museum and at St. Peter's.

You can see them along the wall in the photo below:

I just didn't see them.  I think I was in so much awe that my attention was riveted to the art I was seeing.  

26 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

"the secret exit" in the Sistine to St. Peters.

Yes. I did use that exit during my second visit.  It took some "looking" when I was ready to leave the Chapel, but, I found it.  

My first two visits to the Sistine chapel were right before (1979) and right after (1999) the most recent restoration of the frescoes. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see them before the restoration work, as I can remember how drab and murky the colors were, how the details were obscured by the accumulation of dust and smoke. The restored room was nothing short of a revelation and had just been completed when I was next there, 20 years later. 

(Looking back, what was also amazing about that 1999 visit was the lack of crowds in February. We booked a "regular" tour, not one that ran before or after hours, but we were the only ones on the tour and in the Sistine there were probably around 20-30 other people.)

Now that I go to Rome so frequently, I've found it more enjoyable to focus on doing just one part of the museum at a time -- e.g., just the Egyptian galleries or just the Etruscan section.

• Like 1