Almost 2 year old Cruising on Oasis

Hi Everyone! I am hoping to get some feedback. My husband and I are long time RCCL cruisers, but are looking at booking our first cruise with our son. We are looking at the 9/18 sailing out of Cape Liberty. He will still be 1 when the ship leaves, but towards the end of the sailing he will turn 2!

I was looking at the pool areas online. From what I am reading the large splash area you have to be potty trained to use. I believe that is the case for the pools too. I did see there was a small separate splash area with a slide and some fountains. Can children with swim diapers use this area? 

Same question for coco cay. I know they had a pirate ship splash zone and another larger splash zone. Are there any areas in coco cay where swim diapers are permitted?

Thanks in advance for your help. Any other tips for cruising with a toddler is very much appreciated...totally new way of cruising for us!! 🙂

7 minutes ago, kristenb87 said:

Hi Everyone! I am hoping to get some feedback. My husband and I are long time RCCL cruisers, but are looking at booking our first cruise with our son. We are looking at the 9/18 sailing out of Cape Liberty. He will still be 1 when the ship leaves, but towards the end of the sailing he will turn 2!

I was looking at the pool areas online. From what I am reading the large splash area you have to be potty trained to use. I believe that is the case for the pools too. I did see there was a small separate splash area with a slide and some fountains. Can children with swim diapers use this area? 

Same question for coco cay. I know they had a pirate ship splash zone and another larger splash zone. Are there any areas in coco cay where swim diapers are permitted?

Thanks in advance for your help. Any other tips for cruising with a toddler is very much appreciated...totally new way of cruising for us!! 🙂

Not sure since oasis has been amped, but it used to be one small area like 8 by 8 for swim diaper kids/babies.  All else is technically off limits.   But enforcement is another issue.  Pre Covid we were on oasis with our little ones many times and they were very strict about enforcement on swim diapers.  A couple weeks ago on Allure, there was seemingly no enforcement and babies with swim diapers were all over the entire splash zone, pools, and even in the hot tub-which I could believe was happening.  Every once in a while a saw an employee say something to a parent.  Then later that parent was right back in the prohibited area.  So who knows what it

will be like on your trip.  

But if you follow the rules you will probably find it is a very small area for those in swim diapers.  No pools for those in diapers and the seating around the kids area is pretty minimal.  To be honest, at that age the cruise ships

have a very inferior offering compared to land based resorts.  

Had our 10 mo old on and she was limited to a zone for babies and toddlers, a few younger kids were there too. NO pools and there was a lot of regulation monitors during the sailing. Staff and MANY guests telling us and others where we could and could not allow her. We had planned to follow the rules and did follow them. It was frustrating to hear so many comments from adults that should have been focusing on their vacation and not ours. 

• Haha 1

Pool is allowed on Coco Cay, just not on the ship outside of the little kiddie splash area (separate from the regular kid zone).

Feel free to bring a small inflatable pool and put some water in it with a bucket!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kristenb87 said:

You did not ask this but just as an FYI.

If you are booking through a travel agent or if you call in to book you can book a cabin that would normally hold 2 guests and add your son to the room with a pack n play.  Your son would pay the rate for 3rd and 4th guest which should be under Kids Sail Free so just paying the taxes.

The advantage to doing the booking this way is that the rate for the first 2 guests in a double occupancy room will be less than the rate for the first two guests in a triple/quad occupancy room and if you are using a TA they may have group space available at an even cheaper rate for double occupancy cabins that you would qualify for.

• Like 2

You might know this but was a shock to be originally with our kids. Swim diapers don't do anything except catch solid waste. So essentially peeing right in to whatever water they are in. 

It's partly why they don't allow it various places. 

• Like 1

Oasis Lagoon, splashaway bay, captain Jill's galleon are all good for swim diapers on CocoCay. Our littlest one just loved sitting in the zero entry pool at like bathtub depth. He just splashed and splashed.

While on one of our cruises, not once, but twice, main swimming pool had to be drained and sanitized due to a leaked swimmers diaper.  The passengers were furious.  

• Like 1