Does it really matter if I test 72 hours before Jade boarding in Athens?

jamadeliz

Hi, we are on the Jade in late July.  We are required to test 72 hours ahead of time and then again at the port.  I am wondering what happens if we just wait to test at the port and don't test in the US before we leave?  We have deviated to fly in 2 days early.  Thanks all.  

I also have questions about this situation.  We are departing from the UK, on the Jade in September.  I am hoping that things will have changed by then, but can't guarantee.  I was told when I booked, that we needed to test 72 hours before boarding, and that would be the only test required.  I only found out later that for Greece, a further antigen test is done, by NCL, actually at the port.  

That's pretty clear, but what is not clear, is what do you have to do with that 72 hour test?  Upload it somehow, or just take it to the port.  I then assume (Greece only), they are concerned you have picked covid up in the intervening 3 days, and test again.  In which case, as you say, why not just turn up and get tested at the port.  Or will they not let you onto the port without showing the negative test?  I note that for cruises departing US ports, the test has to be done no more than 48 hours before.  

These rules are so random, and so confusing, it wouldn't surprise me if there are many people get it wrong.  And of course, if you turn up at the port, having previously tested negative, then subsequently test positive, what on earth do they do with you.  Refer you to the authorities who ship you off to self isolate, leave you to sort yourself out, or what?  Ive asked this question on live chat, but they refer you to the cancellation/refund policy, which isn't quite what I am asking.  My cruise consultant, who is otherwise very helpful, didn't appear to know that this extra test at the port was required.  Of course I get that with so many different rules for different countries, it's hard for them to have all this information at their fingertips.  

It would be wonderful, for us who are cruising after you, if you'd post back on here, exactly how this works.  

• Like 1

We just sailed out of Barcelona last week. We took a rapid PCR test at Walgreens the morning of our flight (we flew in to arrive 1 day early before the cruise) and I had a print out of those results with us when we checked in. Having that paper in our hands and all my documents ready saved us a bunch of time. We were in/out of the check in process in 5 minutes.

There was a section to the side for Eurofins testing for folks who needed it, but if you can do the test at home before traveling why would you not do it? By doing it ahead of time we did not need another swab at the port before getting on the ship. Just showed our vaccine cards, negative test results, passport and we were on the ship in no time. 

Folks who didn't have all their paperwork had extra steps and needed to be tested.

• Like 1

We are sailing on Sunday out of Athens, yes had the 72 hour test, but just noticed NCL sail safe has changed for the EU.  There is no mention now of another test at the docks.  Does anyone have any other info?

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure what your cruise docs say from your booking…but I know we were told by our TA to follow the 72 hour test in order to get a full refund from NCL, should we end up later testing positive At the Athens pier. We were told that a negative test 72 hrs before would protect us financially. I still don’t know what to actually expect. 
The info keeps changing. 
we cruise in three weeks 

6 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Is it 72 hours or 3 days?  Our cruise departs Athens on a Sunday and we leave NY on Thursday.  If we test Thursday morning in NY that would be a little over 72 hours 

It's by days, not the hours to account for changes in time zones and overnight flights and such. We sailed on a Friday, had to have our test by Tuesday or later. So if you sail Sunday, testing on Thursday or Friday or Saturday will be fine.

We ended up doing it on Wednesday morning before we flew due to problems with CVS on Tuesday, but it worked out better as Walgreens was a rapid PCR so we had results in my email in time to print before our flights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we sailed from Athens a few weeks ago (April 8th) we flew in a week early and took a test at a local clinic, all the pharmacies do it and they only charge 10 Euro.
NCL were not even interested in seeing our test they just did their own so yes, in theory you could just turn up without a test but would I risk it for the sake of 10 Euro? No I wouldn't.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, ziggyuk said:

When we sailed from Athens a few weeks ago (April 8th) we flew in a week early and took a test at a local clinic, all the pharmacies do it and they only charge 10 Euro.
NCL were not even interested in seeing our test they just did their own so yes, in theory you could just turn up without a test but would I risk it for the sake of 10 Euro? No I wouldn't.

Hi, did you have to book a spot for a  test or could you just walk in?

23 minutes ago, jamadeliz said:

Hi, did you have to book a spot for a  test or could you just walk in?

I booked a spot online but honestly it is unnecessary, you can just walk in to almost any pharmacy and they are everywhere in Athens.
If you want to book they will come to you at your hotel for a little extra.

This is where we booked:

https://doctornearyou.gr/

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:27 AM, jamadeliz said:

Hi, we are on the Jade in late July.  We are required to test 72 hours ahead of time and then again at the port.  I am wondering what happens if we just wait to test at the port and don't test in the US before we leave?  We have deviated to fly in 2 days early.  Thanks all.  

This same question was asked on the May 29, 2022 Jade Roll-Call by @Scotdailey.  You might want to check that out.

The short answer is yes - you must test.  That is NCL's published protocol and the protocol exists to protect all passengers and crew.

Second, focus on the replies by @Sailing12Away in this thread who is spot on in her points.

Third, if you don't test you risk finding out too late that you are COVID positive at the pier and end up having to watch the Jade sail away from the window of your quarantine hotel room.  Don't believe it?

I was booked on that May 29th sailing; took a NAAT test on Thursday morning just hours before my flight for the Sunday sailing.  SURPRISE, despite the lack of any symptoms, I tested positive and had about two hours to unravel my travel plans lest I be out the total cost of my trip.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:27 AM, jamadeliz said:

I am wondering what happens if we just wait to test at the port and don't test in the US before we leave?

What happens is you violate protocol, put everyone on your flight and arrival hotel at risk of catching COVID from YOU, and risk testing positive at the pier with the obvious consequences.  Are the risks worth it?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

What happens is you violate protocol, put everyone on your flight and arrival hotel at risk of catching COVID from YOU, and risk testing positive at the pier with the obvious consequences.  Are the risks worth it?

Don't be such a drama queen with your made up requirements!
Protocol says you test within 3 days, there is no requirement to test before getting on the aircraft, there is no requirement to test before entering the hotel, you will be following protocol if you test in a local pharmacy on the morning of your cruise.
Don't accuse the poster of putting others at risk when with your made up rules!

• Like 1

It is not necessary to take the test 72 hours beforehand, all it does if you test positive at the pier NCL will assist you? Well we have witnessed how helpful they are on these pages recently.  

On 5/27/2022 at 7:06 AM, vanchelle said:

I’m not sure what your cruise docs say from your booking…but I know we were told by our TA to follow the 72 hour test in order to get a full refund from NCL, should we end up later testing positive At the Athens pier. We were told that a negative test 72 hrs before would protect us financially. I still don’t know what to actually expect. 
The info keeps changing. 

The only thing anyone can say with 100% certainty about future cruises is that all this is subject to change, for better or worse.  I travelled to Europe in March.  The requirements were very onerous a couple weeks before.  They were mostly eliminated by the time we got on the flight.

Personally, I'll take a telehealth test a couple days before my cruise.  It would be disappointing if I tested positive but less devastating than if I showed up at the pier and couldn't board.  Plus, I hope I'm being a good human by not potentially exposing others while in transit.   I'll also bring some antigen tests on board with me, just in case.

Somewhat OT but here's a question I haven't asked but perhaps others have:  As the date grows closer, I'm wondering if my doc would honor a request for Paxlovid pills despite being negative at that moment?  I know a few months ago there were supply issues; not sure that's still the case (or whether it would be the case in October, when I cruise.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

The only thing anyone can say with 100% certainty about future cruises is that all this is subject to change, for better or worse.  I travelled to Europe in March.  The requirements were very onerous a couple weeks before.  They were mostly eliminated by the time we got on the flight.

Personally, I'll take a telehealth test a couple days before my cruise.  It would be disappointing if I tested positive but less devastating than if I showed up at the pier and couldn't board.  Plus, I hope I'm being a good human by not potentially exposing others while in transit.   I'll also bring some antigen tests on board with me, just in case.

Somewhat OT but here's a question I haven't asked but perhaps others have:  As the date grows closer, I'm wondering if my doc would honor a request for Paxlovid pills despite being negative at that moment?  I know a few months ago there were supply issues; not sure that's still the case (or whether it would be the case in October, when I cruise.)

I have thought about asking my doctor the same thing.   It would be nice to have Paxlovid with me for an emergency.  

Just an FYI, this was not posted because I am not planning on testing before the cruise.   I will certainly test at home before I get on a plane to Europe.  I was mainly asking if it seemed a bit ridiculous to have to test once at 72 hours and pay for the test and then again right before the cruise.  NCL did tell me this week that I could test at the port and not before I leave.  

Edited by jamadeliz

1 hour ago, Vvanalstine said:

FWIW,  I spoke with a representative and they said that testing at the port was not a requirement. My cruise is the seven day Greek Isles, with Turkey being the only deviation.

Wow. So am I understanding this correctly-they are NOT testing us at the port in Athens this month? I’m on the 7 day Greek Isles in two weeks (also with the single half day in Turkey)….

That’s what I was told by the representative I spoke with. I double checked with her as well, and she reiterated no mandatory testing at the port.

Things really seem so fluid who knows what the rules will be come July though!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vanchelle said:

Wow. So am I understanding this correctly-they are NOT testing us at the port in Athens this month? I’m on the 7 day Greek Isles in two weeks (also with the single half day in Turkey)….

Vanchelle, can you let us know what happens on your cruise?  I hope you have a fantastic trip.  

• Like 1

I was told you have to test WITHIN 72 hours before your cruise date for Non-US ports (like European cruises) - and that it means anywhere from 72 hours until 24 hours before the sailing date. It doesn't have to be around 72 hours before the sailing date, it could be 48 hours or even only 24 days before your sailing date. It just can't be longer than 72 hours/3 days before your cruise - or you would have to make a new test closer to the sailing date.....

While we are talking about the Jade and testing, what are people planning to do about the "test before returning to the USA'" requirement now that NCL is apparently not doing that on the boat.

I have a trip to the USA at 1PM on the day of disembarkment and am not clear if testing at the airport is an option and doable with the relatively short amount of time. What are others doing?