Alaska-I know nothing about it. Help!

kelkel2

Here’s the back story. Our kids are school aged now, so ultimately our cruise vacations have to be during school break times. I am not a heat fan, I don’t enjoy it and the last thing I want is to go shore and swelter in the Caribbean. So we used to go to the Caribbean in January. 
School is out for the kids at the end of May, so I was considering an early June cruise, but the idea of the heat just doesn’t sound fun.

I’ve always wanted to do Alaska, but is this something kids would enjoy?? Is there anything kid friendly in the ports, or is this something that I should wait and do when kids are older. They would be 5 around the time I’m planning for. We would cruise Carnival, possibly NCL. 
I’m just looking for tips, advice etc. 

33 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Here’s the back story. Our kids are school aged now, so ultimately our cruise vacations have to be during school break times. I am not a heat fan, I don’t enjoy it and the last thing I want is to go shore and swelter in the Caribbean. So we used to go to the Caribbean in January. 
School is out for the kids at the end of May, so I was considering an early June cruise, but the idea of the heat just doesn’t sound fun.

I’ve always wanted to do Alaska, but is this something kids would enjoy?? Is there anything kid friendly in the ports, or is this something that I should wait and do when kids are older. They would be 5 around the time I’m planning for. We would cruise Carnival, possibly NCL. 
I’m just looking for tips, advice etc. 

Well we have our first AK cruise coming up in a couple weeks, so that early June timeframe you're talking about. We also are taking our 4 almost 5 year old. She is stoked to go, we are visiting the sled dog camp in one port where you go on a sled ride and get to play with puppies and we are doing whale watching at another. She loves animals and nature so i think she will have a blast. I would definitely stick to Carnival or RCCL as their ships are more kid friendly and will have more for the young ones to do on board. It's looking like low 60's for most of our cruise, so if you ask me you couldn't ask for better weather and a perfect locale for heat haters. About the only thing the kids miss out on it seems is the pool time/water activities on the ship with the cooler weather. I'll report back how she likes it if I can remember.

Whales in Juneau. The Crabfisherman's tour in Ketchikan. Or the Lumberjack show there. Or the Duck ride (a big buslike thing that goes in the water). Glaciers and bears. Great kid's programs on many ships. Float planes and helicopters but that gets very pricey for 4 of you. That should be a start. 

Edited by 5waldos
  • Like 1

Go to youtube and watch some videos on Ak cruises. 

The shiplife just took his mom on rccl and has video of Sitka, Juneau and Skagway, 

I TOOK MY MOM DOG SLEDDING IN SKAGWAY ALASKA! | PLAYING WITH HUSKY PUPPIES - YouTube

cruise alaska did cruse on NCL shows getting on and off ship with views of shops & including Ward Cove. Sad but shows no excursions and spends over $100 eating crab. 

Cruise Alaska - YouTube

First choices to make are one way with more cities and different Anchorage flights, or round trip. 

If round trip then Vancouver or Seattle. 

Many think Glacier Bay is must see. Big ship (4000 +) or smaller (2000+) people. After you decide on this then look at cruise lines with port times. 

Then watch closely the port times. You want longer the better. Plan for expensive shore tours and plan for them as many of the better ones will be gone by the time you hit the port. I have heard it is very different from the Carib. sightcrr

Is our OP considering a June 2022 cruise?  If so they need to get going NOW in the planning as Alaska tourism industry folks are predicting near record numbers of cruise passengers, if not a new record number.  And be prepared for high air fare costs for last minute booking.

Skim through the 2019 trip reports at the top of the forum index page for ideas.

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Is our OP considering a June 2022 cruise?  If so they need to get going NOW in the planning as Alaska tourism industry folks are predicting near record numbers of cruise passengers, if not a new record number.  And be prepared for high air fare costs for last minute booking.

Skim through the 2019 trip reports at the top of the forum index page for ideas.

Nah, I’m looking at 2024… Itineraries aren’t out yet, so not much to look at here. We currently have a 5 day spring break cruise booked for March 2024 but I’m just not sold on the idea. So I’m contemplating moving it. We have a January 2023 cruise booked as well. So plenty of time to think. I just didn’t even know if there was anything kids would enjoy. And wanted to ask the experts before I got an idea in my head and tried to sell it to my husband. 

Edited by kelkel2

Do some research online before you try to sell the idea. Check out Juneau, Skagway, Ketchickan. These ports are on most itineraries, and you can find lots of things to do. Or go "old school" and buy a good travel guide (DK "Eyewitness" guides are excellent) to give him for inspiration.

How old will the kids be in 2024?  Do you want just to cruise or would you have time and resources to do cruise + some time on land?

There are both round-trip cruises (from Vancouver or Seattle) and one-ways (to or from Vancouver, not Seattle due to US maritime law) that generally are for seven nights.  If you choose a one-way cruise (which arrive or depart from Seward or Whittier, Alaska, and depart or arrive in Vancouver) then you can add some extra time in southcentral or interior Alaska (or the north or west) in addition to the southeast "panhandle" and Inside Passage that both the one-way and round trip cruises include.

Obviously the "cruise+" plans take more time and will cost more, depending on how many days you add to the cruise and what you do with them, but equally obviously they will permit you to see more of the state.  

As for activities for the kids during the cruise, of course the major cruise lines all have kids' programs on the ships, and there is no shortage of kid-themed or kids-welcome activities in the ports of call.  Alaska cruises are very much family-oriented, so I suspect that the issue will be navigating through the various activity offerings (and keeping your wallet from evaporating.)  

Our son was born in Alaska and I can assure you there was plenty to occupy him during the summers.  The memories are still exhausting. 😵

• Like 2

Princess has a program called "Puppies in the Atrium" when Huskie puppies are brought aboard at a port.  An interesting, but brief, program is built around this and then the guests have the opportunity to interact with the puppies.  Children love it.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, 5waldos said:

The Crabfisherman's tour in Ketchikan.

Your children would enjoy it (as I think the adults will, too).  Crab pots are hauled aboard and their contents dumped on the deck.  People are given the opportunity to interact with some of these marine creatures.  Then, the boat visits an area where there are many Eagles.  The crew throw parts of fish overboard and the Eagles come swooping in for a free lunch.  An excellent tour!  

On 5/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, SightCRR said:

Go to youtube and watch some videos on Ak cruises. 

100%

We did our first Alaska Cruise with basically 2 weeks to plan (but we knew we would be back) and had a great trip. We are taking our kids (3 and 4) this summer and know they will have a good time as will we.

Look up not "tips about Alaska" instead look up vlogs where they go through their day. Normally if you search Alaska Cruise + Cruise Line you will find some. Go forward and backwards in their timeline to see the whole trip.

I would then use that to stack rank where you want to visit on a cruise and where you want to leave from.

From/To/Roundtrip: Seattle, Victoria, Northern Alaska

Ports: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Icy Strait, Stika

Glaciers: Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Edicott, Dawes

Then you can start getting an idea of the budget for excursions so you know how much you have for a room(s). 

Thanks everyone! The hardest part of planning a hypothetical cruise is you can’t see the shore excursion offerings. I think it sounds like there’s plenty we could do as a family! 

2 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Thanks everyone! The hardest part of planning a hypothetical cruise is you can’t see the shore excursion offerings. I think it sounds like there’s plenty we could do as a family! 

There are many places to see shore excursions. Google each stop and there will be many offerings. What to do in XXXtown. They may not be exactly what is offered on your ship, but nobody says that you have to stick with those. 

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Not sure about other lines, but on the Princess website you can access the different excursions offered at the Alaskan ports.  From the main website, click on the Destinations tab.  Once there, you can see the section for Plan & Book which has the link to all the shore excursions offered by Princess.  Should give you a good starting point—after a dozen Alaskan cruises, I’ve found that there’s not much difference between different cruise lines.

I highly recommend you look into a Disney Alaskan cruise based on the ages of your children (5 yo, correct?).  Our first cruise to Alaska was on the Disney Wonder with our kids (8 and 10)—lots of activities/excursions that were appropriate for families and kids.  A bit pricier than other lines but you do get what you pay for!  Now that our kids are grown (mid 20s) we cruise other lines.

9 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

The hardest part of planning a hypothetical cruise is you can’t see the shore excursion offerings

I was going to make the same suggestion as disneyochem.  Particularly for whatever cruise lines you may be considering, the shore excursions don't differ very much from year to year.  (Pricing, however, probably will.)