Change to cruisetour testing requirements

hapster85

We were already planning to do so, but it's now required. We just got a notification logging into the Personalizer. A negative covid test is now required before the the land portion of our Alaska cruisetour. We fly out June 25th.

Website protocols not yet updated, but would expect that to happen soon.

• Like 2

Couldn't get a screenshot, but here is the text from the notification:

Important Acknowledgements for Your Cruise Vacation

Before entering Cruise Personalizer, read and acknowledge these notifications

Updated Covid-19 Testing Requirements For Your Cruisetour

Please be advised that we have implemented a new requirement and cruisetour guests 2 years of age or older must now produce a negative COVID-19 test at the start of their pre-cruise land tour. The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. You will not be able to begin your cruisetour without proof of a negative COVID-19 test. At-home medically observed antigen tests such as https://*****/optumtest are allowed. All guests over 5 years of age must also be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and bring acceptable proof of COVID-19 vaccination to present at cruisetour check-in. Boosters are encouraged for eligible guests. You will also require a negative COVID-19 test to board the ship for the sea portion of your cruisetour, which we will provide at no cost to you. For health and safety guidelines for your voyage, visit https://*****/pc_usfaq.

Edited by hapster85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

Just read my email about this, bet it catches a lot of people off guard.  I was surprised they were not already requiring it.

Also surprised it wasn't already required. Guessing more than expected were testing positive at the end of the land portion?

Just received email this morning on this new requirement for Land Tour part of cruise.  Thanks Princess for sending this out on Memorial Day!   Little short notice for those of us that start on the land tour next week.  Flying to Anchorage Saturday (June 4th) and Land Tour starts next Wed (8th).  So have to get test done in Anchorage.  Not really enough time to order one of those telehealth self test since we will be leaving town before it could probably get here.  Other nice little problem is that we have excursions in Anchorage every day that are majority of the day.  Nice timing there Princess!!!  I am pro-active to get things scheduled and you continue to make new changes.  (Sorry for the rant, a bit frustrated as this is the 3rd year we have scheduled this cruise.  Making reservations and canceling them for 3 years in a row gets really old)

So looking at options in Anchorage to get test done where site is open early or late.  3 couples are on this cruise. 

I see Capstone on Spenard Road that might be option. I think they are open 7 days a week from 7 to 7?

Maybe Quest Diagnostics?

Saw some notes on the Egan Center is doing testing for Cruise passengers but says on Cruise Days?

Seeing maybe Walgreens can do Rapid Test??  Tried to sign up for appointment but Rapid Test is not an option when you try to schedule an appointment?

Also saw the airport has Covid testing 24X7 - 7 days a week.  But also saw they charge $250 for at test?  (that is highway robbery!)

Appreciate any input from those having experience with Covid Rapid testing locations in Anchorage.  Really want to do a Rapid test since a PCR test may take too long with our scheduling. 

Blazeman

4 hours ago, chopper825 said:

I wonder if tne Walgreens Rapid NAAT is accepted.  Its not clear here but I believe it was in the past

I was wondering the same thing. We leave in 5 days. So nice of them to give us advanced notice. 

I would NOT get this test. Rapid NAAT is not on the princess site as an approved test. We will be looking at other options. 

25 minutes ago, chopper825 said:

Does it specifically say this test not approved. I have done it for 2 other cruises but on Royal.  I am calling them. 

No, but it also does not list Rapid NAAT under its approved list, but it does have Rapid Antigen, IMO its not worth rolling the dice.

I’m going to rant here on my soapbox.  I give the cruise lines a lot of leadway during the pandemic with lots of changes happening very quickly.  I also think there are a lot of people that do not do their due diligence when preparing for a trip during the pandemic and if they aren’t up to speed on requirements then its mostly on them.  But I feel I am one that does their research and keeps up on what I need to do.  This to me is completely unacceptable from Princess’ side.  The communication they sent out in the middle of the night last night looked like any other booking confirmation email.  It had our itinerary listed and was 1 page.  The email subject line simply said Booking Notification.  Give that we are 5 days from leaving I dismissed this as just a general before the start of the trip type of email.  So i didnt read it in detail.  That part may be on me but I think Princess did a horrible job communicating this change.  The email should have read Urgent: Change to COVID testing, or something to that affect.  If I hadn’t been up on these boards I may have missed it entirely and that could have lead to me missing my trip.  Do I own some of this, absolutely, but did Princess drop the ball on communicating this, most definitely.  Completely unacceptable in my opinion.  

Off my soapbox, and excited for our trip once again…….

• Like 2

My goodness, tough for those of you who are leaving soon! I am annoyed at this extra step (when I could travel to Alaska and get on the bus/train and do the exact same activities without a COVID test, and not even have to wear a mask on the plane), but would be really mad if I had to scramble last minute for it.

If our cruise tour starts on 7/26 PM (hotel check in 4 pm), we can get a PCR (at home) on 7/23 and that would count as 3 days? We fly on 7/24 and have a few days in Anchorage beforehand. 

12 minutes ago, basil92008 said:

My goodness, tough for those of you who are leaving soon! I am annoyed at this extra step (when I could travel to Alaska and get on the bus/train and do the exact same activities without a COVID test, and not even have to wear a mask on the plane), but would be really mad if I had to scramble last minute for it.

If our cruise tour starts on 7/26 PM (hotel check in 4 pm), we can get a PCR (at home) on 7/23 and that would count as 3 days? We fly on 7/24 and have a few days in Anchorage beforehand. 

I have never heard of an at home PCR test, but yes if its a PCR (and not an antigen test) then your time frame is correct (within 3 days of departure).  But the question is when does your cruise tour actually start?  I would say at hotel checkin but do they consider the next day the start of your cruisetour?  If they do then no you would be outside the window.  It’s a total cluster.

3 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

I have never heard of an at home PCR test, but yes if its a PCR (and not an antigen test) then your time frame is correct (within 3 days of departure).  But the question is when does your cruise tour actually start?  I would say at hotel checkin but do they consider the next day the start of your cruisetour?  If they do then no you would be outside the window.  It’s a total cluster.

Oops, sorry, I not a home test, but at a pharmacy near my home, instead of trying to schedule it while traveling. Seems simpler that way!  Yes, that was my question, do they count the cruise tour starting at hotel check in or when you get on the bus the next day? 

I strongly doubt this rigamarole is adding to our safety.

Edited by basil92008

17 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Couldn't get a screenshot, but here is the text from the notification:

Important Acknowledgements for Your Cruise Vacation

Before entering Cruise Personalizer, read and acknowledge these notifications

Updated Covid-19 Testing Requirements For Your Cruisetour

Please be advised that we have implemented a new requirement and cruisetour guests 2 years of age or older must now produce a negative COVID-19 test at the start of their pre-cruise land tour. The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. You will not be able to begin your cruisetour without proof of a negative COVID-19 test. At-home medically observed antigen tests such as https://*****/optumtest are allowed. All guests over 5 years of age must also be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and bring acceptable proof of COVID-19 vaccination to present at cruisetour check-in. Boosters are encouraged for eligible guests. You will also require a negative COVID-19 test to board the ship for the sea portion of your cruisetour, which we will provide at no cost to you. For health and safety guidelines for your voyage, visit https://*****/pc_usfaq.

Thanks for the information Hapster.  

I'm not sure who to ask, but I was wondering if anyone with the land portion after the cruise has gotten the same notification.  We cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on June 22 and have not received anything so I'm not sure if the new rules will also apply to post-cruise land tours. 

Man, I was so sure that we had everything figured out already.  Oh, well.  I suppose if it's required they will take care of the testing between the cruise and land tour.  

I'm not sure who to ask, but I was wondering if anyone with the land portion after the cruise has gotten the same notification?  We cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on June 22 and have not received anything so I'm not sure if the new rules will also apply to post-cruise land tours?

Man, I was so sure that we had everything figured out already.  Oh, well.  I suppose if it's required they will take care of the testing between the cruise and land tour.

7 hours ago, chopper825 said:

I wonder if tne Walgreens Rapid NAAT is accepted.  Its not clear here but I believe it was in the past

Yes, this test is fine.  Princess will accept a NAAT test, and that is what the Walgreens test is ( it is the IDNow Rapid NAAT test).

I have been on three three recent cruises with Princess and HAL.  Both lines have the same exact wording for approved tests.  On all of these cruises, the Walgreens test was accepted without question.  Many others we cruised with also used this test.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Yes, this test is fine.  Princess will accept a NAAT test, and that is what the Walgreens test is ( it is the IDNow Rapid NAAT test).

I have been on three three recent cruises with Princess and HAL.  Both lines have the same exact wording for approved tests.  On all of these cruises, the Walgreens test was accepted without question.  Many others we cruised with also used this test.

Awesome, good to know, thank you!

We have a cruise tour that departs from Anchorage on 6/13/22. We were scheduled to arrive in Anchorage on 6/12/22 but added an extra day through Princess. My itinerary states my cruise tour begins on 6/11/22. Therefore, I say my PCR test window should be based on my 6/11/22 arrival date/Captain Cook check-in. If I am wrong and cannot get a test to fit these last minute rules, I plan to forego the cruise tour and cruise and spend my 2-weeks in Alaska on my own. At least that way I will not need a test to get back into the US. I understand Princess's predicament and do support testing for safety reasons, but it sure seems like nothing is being done to make our vacation a less stressful event. I can stay at home and be stressed at work without spending $12,000. Vent is now complete.