Umbrellas on Great Stirrup Cay

FloridaGram

@ccc321

Isn't this better than an oversized beach umbrella - just a bit pricey these days ... Just hate to bring our own - similar (not as "sturdy") - portable one from Cabela's (or from Walmart/Amazon, etc.)  Non-vented one on the left, vented one on the right side.   

@CherWolf  Pre-covid, we had no problems and used shorex credits for it, cost went up from $30 to $35, then to $40 ... Now it's "no can't do" anymore and it's a $50 ding ding to the onboard account, kind of annoying.  Fortunately, we read about it before our most recent tender stop at the island and wasn't surprised.  Answer - applied against non-refundable OBC.  No happy campers here.  

IMG_20170502_112012.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:14 PM, CherWolf said:

$45 now, I think.  That's what I paid in December.

Yup. It was either $45 or $49 in April. According to NCL, the clamshell is considered a "rental" and not a "shore excursion". Therefore it is not eligible for the "shore excursion" credit. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:52 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yup. It was either $45 or $49 in April. According to NCL, the clamshell is considered a "rental" and not a "shore excursion". Therefore it is not eligible for the "shore excursion" credit. 

I know.  Bummer.  Pre-pandemic, it was part of the shore excursion.  

On 6/18/2022 at 11:42 AM, mking8288 said:

@ccc321

Isn't this better than an oversized beach umbrella - just a bit pricey these days ... Just hate to bring our own - similar (not as "sturdy") - portable one from Cabela's (or from Walmart/Amazon, etc.)  Non-vented one on the left, vented one on the right side.   

@CherWolf  Pre-covid, we had no problems and used shorex credits for it, cost went up from $30 to $35, then to $40 ... Now it's "no can't do" anymore and it's a $50 ding ding to the onboard account, kind of annoying.  Fortunately, we read about it before our most recent tender stop at the island and wasn't surprised.  Answer - applied against non-refundable OBC.  No happy campers here.  

IMG_20170502_112012.jpg

On 5/31/2022 at 5:00 PM, PATRLR said:

Nov 2017 was last time we were there and I thought I remember that we were able to use the Shire Excursion credit.

Yes, back in 2017, the rules for the Shore Excursion Credit were much more relaxed.

Times have changed and NCL is trying to get every dollar that they can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 6:23 AM, Beer Belly said:

If you are traveling with others, maybe split the cost of a Cabana or Villa ?

I was looking at Cabanas this morning. I don't see how you can "split" the cost. It charged $399 (minus the $50 credit) for each of us. So, I immediately removed it from my cart. I'll find a clam shell. 😎

17 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

I was looking at Cabanas this morning. I don't see how you can "split" the cost. It charged $399 (minus the $50 credit) for each of us. So, I immediately removed it from my cart. I'll find a clam shell. 😎

Use one credit card, pay your friend half in cash on the spot, or when they get the Credit card bill

I probably didn't explain myself correctly. When you book the cabana is charges you PER ADULT. So $399 x 2 (less the $50 credit). Nearly $800 seems like an awful lot for a cabana. Am I misunderstanding how it works? Can I just book a cabana for one person but have others join me?

2 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

I probably didn't explain myself correctly. When you book the cabana is charges you PER ADULT. So $399 x 2 (less the $50 credit). Nearly $800 seems like an awful lot for a cabana. Am I misunderstanding how it works? Can I just book a cabana for one person but have others join me?

The charge you see on NCL’s website is per cabana, not per guest.  It’s technically assigned to Guest 1, but you can have as many people in it as the stated capacity allows, all for that same price. (So only put ONE cabana in your cart, under whoever is guest 1 so you can use the excursion discount.)

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1