Non-Refundable Deposit

twentyknots

Is there a way to tell on Celebrity's website if the deposit is refundable?  I was on the phone with my TA recently discussing a cruise in December and she was getting pricing.  When we got to the deposit amount of $900 she said it was non-refundable.  If I wanted a refundable deposit the cruise was $800 more.  Is this standard procedure for Celebrity now?   I booked a Holland cruise and its deposit is refundable.

Edited by twentyknots

3 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

Is there a way to tell on Celebrity's website if the deposit is refundable?  I was on the phone with my TA recently discussing a cruise in December and she was getting pricing.  When we got to the deposit amount of $900 she said it was non-refundable.  If I wanted a refundable deposit the cruise was $800 more.  Is this standard procedure for Celebrity now?   I booked a Holland cruise and its deposit is refundable.

Recently on all my web searches the price shown is the NR rate.  When you go to the first screen in the booking process it give you the option of paying more for Refundable Deposit and also to add Cruise Care Insurance.    The NR additional fee is based on the price of the cruise and runs around .8%

For me I book NR.     If you change or cancel they charge a fee of $100 pp and you can just move the remainder to a new booking.    

I really like Celebrity and would have booked the cruise that my TA and I were working on until she mentioned the NF deposit.

I like Holland equally so jumped over to their site and found something comparable.    When we got into the booking, she said we each had $100 in prepaid deposit from an onboard booking we had on an Alaska cruise in 2019.  I had forgotten about it.  

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Yes, my TA did say HAL had some NF deposits.  In this particular instance the prepaid deposit I made while onboard is refundable or returned to my account.

I think we all prefer refundable deposit without having to pay an upcharge.  I suppose if RCCL's approach becomes industry-wide,  then it won't be a differentiator in decision-making between lines.