Yakutania Point in Skagway

Sherme

I will be in Skagway at the end of June.  I am doing the Chilkoot Yukon bus tour that day.  The tour gets back to Skagway at around 3 pm, and the cruise ship leaves Skagway at 8 pm.  I have read that the walk to Yakutania Point is really worthwhile.  What is the best way to get to Yakutania Point from the cruise dock and is 3-4 hours enough time?

You have plenty of time but talk to your Chilkoot guide. We had Ethan a couple of weeks ago. He can drop you off at the best spot in town so you won't have to backtrack. 

Huge rec for both the Chilkoot tour and this walk out to the Point. 

23 hours ago, Sherme said:

I will be in Skagway at the end of June.  I am doing the Chilkoot Yukon bus tour that day.  The tour gets back to Skagway at around 3 pm, and the cruise ship leaves Skagway at 8 pm.  I have read that the walk to Yakutania Point is really worthwhile.  What is the best way to get to Yakutania Point from the cruise dock and is 3-4 hours enough time?

Google Map for reference:

Google Maps

Zooom the map in or out for more or less detail - - - - -

Yakutania Point is centered in image - cruise ship docks at bottom - - -

The trek back into Skagway is a long one - back to the Klondike Highway and then into town -

BUT HEY WAIT - there appears to be a pedestrian bridge crossing to the airport grounds and

a couple block walk to the WPYRR ticket office about 1500 meters to the furthest dock

position on the Railroad dock.

Any readers done this to comment ? 

53 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Google Maps

The trek back into Skagway is a long one - back to the Klondike Highway and then into town -

BUT HEY WAIT - there appears to be a pedestrian bridge crossing to the airport grounds and

a couple block walk to the WPYRR ticket office about 1500 meters to the furthest dock

We took the pedestrian bridge out to Yakatunia Point in 2019. It’s a nice short walk.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Google Maps

Yes I have done that a couple of times - you can also get to the Dyea townsite from the Point.

Would be an excellent side excursion if your cruise ship was at the Ore Dock or even the

Broadway dock - or either of the Railroad dock positions.

Time and distance - that Dyea townsite would need a tinkering of a bit more time.

Great to see of other options with the WPYRR curtailing ventures into the Canada interior

Fraser and beyond.

That Dyea had a jeep rental program that would be interesting also - taking the Dyea road

to other opportunities the Chilkoot Trail Head - Grizzly Falls Zip Line - - - - -

Thank you all for your input.  Per the port schedule, Koningsdam docks at Ore Dock, which looks closest to Yakutania Point.  I had originally booked the combo Yukon/White Pass train tour, but after it got canceled, I decided to do the Yukon bus tour with Chilkoot.  I booked the earlier (8:30 am) departure, which is supposed to return to Skagway by 3 pm, so that I would still be able to do the 4 pm summit train tour IF I wanted to.  Now that I am getting closer to my cruise, I don’t want to commit to another excursion, and since I am more interested in wildlife/nature than shopping, I thought walking to Yakutania Point and possibly on to Smuggler’s Cove would be a great way to spend the rest of my time in Skagway.  Should I be worried about bears on those trails?  

You cross a sturdy bridge on the west side of the airport.  The trail is wide, and easy to follow, I would not be concerned about bears.  It is a very easy walk, and I plan to do it again when I visit later this month.  I also enjoy hiking around Lower Dewey lake, which is on the other side of Skagway.

I was last there in 2019.

• Thanks 1

Have done Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove a couple of times.  Wear good walking shoes since you will be walking over exposed tree roots.  If you go to the visitor’s center you can pick up a map of hikes for Skagway.  Yakutania Point is classified as Easy, Smugglers Cove is considered Moderate.  Smugglers Cove continues on from Yakutania Point.  Round trip takes 1-2 hours.  It’s a beautiful area.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...