scooter on Oasis

i have already booked Central Park Balcony cabin on 12th floor - husband will most likely need a scooter - has anyone experienced scooter fitting through door of cabin and how fits in cabin during cruise ??

6 minutes ago, mykidsmom said:

i have already booked Central Park Balcony cabin on 12th floor - husband will most likely need a scooter - has anyone experienced scooter fitting through door of cabin and how fits in cabin during cruise ??

It won’t fit, or at least won’t fit well.  What you need is an accessible cabin.   Please don’t be rude and leave a scooter in the hall when not using.  They can potentially  block others that always need scooter/wheelchairs from getting by and they are a hazard in general to others using the hallway, and they are a major hazard in case of a really ship emergency.  Strollers and scooter do not belong in the hallways.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, topnole said:

It won’t fit, or at least won’t fit well.  What you need is an accessible cabin.   Please don’t be rude and leave a scooter in the hall when not using.  They can potentially  block others that always need scooter/wheelchairs from getting by and they are a hazard in general to others using the hallway, and they are a major hazard in case of a really ship emergency.  Strollers and scooter do not belong in the hallways.  

I really hate it when an abled body person starts preaching to a person about how to use a mobility device, especially when they did not even ask a question such what you just answered, and you are also, really have no idea if the scooter would fit or not.  My wife has a scooter, and many scooters can fit in the cabin, but only a person with the proper knowledge can answer.

For the poster, are you buying a scooter or renting one?  If you are buying a scooter, and plan on using it on vacation, the recommendation is a travel scooter that can fold up, and/or take apart.  Fold up is better but more expensive.  Travel scooters do fit, and very seldom do we have a HC cabin.  The door width is thinner, and you need to know the width of the scooter, plus add 2 inches.  Carefully purchase a scooter that will match your vacation style.  Ours have traveled on 8 different ships, and was used in about 20 different countries, and flew on several types of aircraft

If renting one, find out from the rental company how wide it is.  They will know if it fits or not.  That is their business.  

Also for the poster.....make sure the bed is closest to the balcony, and not the doorway.  It matters.

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I really hate it when an abled body person starts preaching to a person about how to use a mobility device, especially when they did not even ask a question such what you just answered, and you are also, really have no idea if the scooter would fit or not.  My wife has a scooter, and many scooters can fit in the cabin, but only a person with the proper knowledge can answer.

For the poster, are you buying a scooter or renting one?  If you are buying a scooter, and plan on using it on vacation, the recommendation is a travel scooter that can fold up, and/or take apart.  Fold up is better but more expensive.  Travel scooters do fit, and very seldom do we have a HC cabin.  The door width is thinner, and you need to know the width of the scooter, plus add 2 inches.  Carefully purchase a scooter that will match your vacation style.  Ours have traveled on 8 different ships, and was used in about 20 different countries, and flew on several types of aircraft

If renting one, find out from the rental company how wide it is.  They will know if it fits or not.  That is their business.  

Leaving the scooter in the hallway is a hazard regardless of whether the other poster knows if it fits through the doorway or not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Leaving the scooter in the hallway is a hazard regardless of whether the other poster knows if it fits through the doorway or not.

And yet the poster did not ask this, but rather, they were preached to, without any particular reason by a person that is not associated with the cruise line.......so, again, stick to the question, not some random preaching which the cruise line is capable of handling

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

And yet the poster did not ask this, but rather, they were preached to, without any particular reason by a person that is not associated with the cruise line.......so, again, stick to the question, not some random preaching which the cruise line is capable of handling

LOL - look who's talking.

Hallways aren't parking lots.

"I really hate it when an abled body person starts preaching to a person about how to use a mobility device" - RANDOM PREACHING

Edited by billslowsky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My experience is a scooter rented from the places that do cruise ship rentals will fit through the door of a regular (not accessible) cabin.

The issue in the cabin is bed placement. You want a cabin where the bed is by the balcony so you have room to bring the scooter into the cabin. If the bed is by the bathroom you won't be able to get the scooter in and out of the way because it can't get past the bed.

If you post your cabin number there are people on here who can tell you if the bed is by the balcony or by the bathroom.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

LOL - look who's talking.

Hallways aren't parking lots.

"I really hate it when an abled body person starts preaching to a person about how to use a mobility device" - RANDOM PREACHING

Are you saying your are disabled?  Did you answer the poster question?  And if you did, did you actually answer it correctly, or just by your assumption?  You said it won't fit, but that is wrong.  Many scooters fit easily in the room, and most people do so with no issues.  A HC room is good for a person that needs a roll in shower, or extra help in a bathroom, and the closets are designed different, as well as some furniture, and ramps to go onto the balcony, but a scooter person, most likely is partially disabled, and will be able to walk, and use the shower, and go on a balcony without being confined to the chair.  I'm only preaching to you because you are an abled body person, that gave false info, and than told the person info that was not asked for.  NO PLACE DID THE POSTER ASKED WHERE TO STORE A SCOOTER, AND EVEN IMPLIED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO LEAVE IT IN THE HALLWAY.  THEY ACTUALLY DID THE RIGHT THING AND INQUIRE ABOUT HOW TO GET IT INTO A STATEROOM, THE OPPOSIT OF WHAT YOU PREACHED. 

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Also for the poster.....make sure the bed is closest to the balcony, and not the doorway.  It matters.

I really hate it when able body people rent scooters and block the hallway and one of my family members who is disabled can’t get by.  I’ll preach all I want to anyone about this and my abilities, or lack of, are irrelevant on the matter.  The ships say this behavior isn’t allowed, but clearly many people either don’t care or don’t know.  The OP’s question indicates they don’t know for sure whether a mobility device would be needed and it would seem they have little experience on the matter or they would’ve figured this out before booking a cabin.  

Point stands, motorized scooters do not belong in the hallway and if my comments prevent one such incident,

I’m fine with you not liking my comment.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

My experience is a scooter rented from the places that do cruise ship rentals will fit through the door of a regular (not accessible) cabin.

The issue in the cabin is bed placement. You want a cabin where the bed is by the balcony so you have room to bring the scooter into the cabin. If the bed is by the bathroom you won't be able to get the scooter in and out of the way because it can't get past the bed.

If you post your cabin number there are people on here who can tell you if the bed is by the balcony or by the bathroom.  

And depending upon the cabin location vs the elevators, I've seen scooters on Oasis ships parked in the alcoves by the elevators.  Obviously these were private scooters with bells and whistles.  But if further away from an elevator a scooter could have issues just getting down the passageway if the cabin stewards' carts are also lined up.

• Like 1

I have taken my mobility travel scooter on 7 cruises. It has always fit through the cabin doorway with no problem. We always book a standard balcony cabin. It also fit nicely inside the cabin with room to spare. Our last cruise we had our first junior suite which was also great with the scooter. If you rent from a scooter rental company, they already know the cabin doorway dimensions. As another poster noted, an HC cabin is for those folks who might need roll-in showers, maybe a little more room, etc. Rent the travel scooter through one of the reliable companies, and you’ll have no worries at all. Enjoy your cruise.

BTW, one more thing, we scooter folks know the rules about not leaving our scooters in the hallways and all the important safety rules that apply. I do wish sometimes though that the cruise line would enforce the rules about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Are you saying your are disabled?  Did you answer the poster question?  And if you did, did you actually answer it correctly, or just by your assumption?  You said it won't fit, but that is wrong.  Many scooters fit easily in the room, and most people do so with no issues.  A HC room is good for a person that needs a roll in shower, or extra help in a bathroom, and the closets are designed different, as well as some furniture, and ramps to go onto the balcony, but a scooter person, most likely is partially disabled, and will be able to walk, and use the shower, and go on a balcony without being confined to the chair.  I'm only preaching to you because you are an abled body person, that gave false info, and than told the person info that was not asked for.  NO PLACE DID THE POSTER ASKED WHERE TO STORE A SCOOTER, AND EVEN IMPLIED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO LEAVE IT IN THE HALLWAY.  THEY ACTUALLY DID THE RIGHT THING AND INQUIRE ABOUT HOW TO GET IT INTO A STATEROOM, THE OPPOSIT OF WHAT YOU PREACHED. 

Read posts 7 and 11.  They were able to give useful information without your random preaching.

My response was to your post,  I can do that.  As you apparently can too, since none of your posts were to the OP. 

6 hours ago, topnole said:

well don't worry - we will not be in your way !!! hopefully not even on the same ship as you - thanks for your somewhat rude non-answer to my innocent  question !!!

29 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

I have taken my mobility travel scooter on 7 cruises. It has always fit through the cabin doorway with no problem. We always book a standard balcony cabin. It also fit nicely inside the cabin with room to spare. Our last cruise we had our first junior suite which was also great with the scooter. If you rent from a scooter rental company, they already know the cabin doorway dimensions. As another poster noted, an HC cabin is for those folks who might need roll-in showers, maybe a little more room, etc. Rent the travel scooter through one of the reliable companies, and you’ll have no worries at all. Enjoy your cruise.

BTW, one more thing, we scooter folks know the rules about not leaving our scooters in the hallways and all the important safety rules that apply. I do wish sometimes though that the cruise line would enforce the rules about that.

thank you so much - i already inquired from company recommended by RCCL and the width of the scooter is about a couple inches smaller than our cabin doorway - if we have to squeeze around the cabin with it, no problem as mostly only in cabin to sleep LOL

12 minutes ago, mykidsmom said:

well don't worry - we will not be in your way !!! hopefully not even on the same ship as you - thanks for your somewhat rude non-answer to my innocent  question !!!

Asking people not to be rude and create a safety hazard is considered rude? Got it.  

Being rude and creating serious safety hazards for those that can’t walk, don’t dare say a thing about them or you are rude.  Got it.  

Per another comment on this thread, scooter people (whatever that means) know the rules.  Well apparently not because I can’t remember the last time I cruised and didn’t see scooters out in the halls during the day and night. 

Well, you most certainly won’t be in my way and hopefully you won’t be in anyone else’s way either.  But there is a half a chance your cabin isn’t laid out well for a scooter.  Now you know the type you need.  And if you find yourself blocked by another scooter, which will happen eventually if you continue to cruise using one, you can come back and thank me for mentioning it to people who seem new to needing one. Your discomfort with my reply is nothing compared to the discomfort and embarrassment one endures if they can’t get to their cabin in time to use the bathroom because a thoughtless person could care less about disabled people who can’t just get up and walk away from their scooter if needed.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

Asking people not to be rude and create a safety hazard is considered rude? Got it.  

Being rude and creating serious safety hazards for those that can’t walk, don’t dare say a thing about them or you are rude.  Got it.  

Per another comment on this thread, scooter people (whatever that means) know the rules.  Well apparently not because I can’t remember the last time I cruised and didn’t see scooters out in the halls during the day and night. 

Well, you most certainly won’t be in my way and hopefully you won’t be in anyone else’s way either.  But there is a half a chance your cabin isn’t laid out well for a scooter.  Now you know the type you need.  And if you find yourself blocked by another scooter, which will happen eventually if you continue to cruise using one, you can come back and thank me for mentioning it to people who seem new to needing one. Your discomfort with my reply is nothing compared to the discomfort and embarrassment one endures if they can’t get to their cabin in time to use the bathroom because a thoughtless person could care less about disabled people who can’t just get up and walk away from their scooter if needed.  

Just to clarify, I used the term “scooter folks” as a description of folks who use scooters, not a derogatory term. Believe me, we’ve been referred to as far worse than that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mykidsmom said:

I was on the Allure of the Seas with scooter I rented . I had a handicap cabin no problem. I met nice people and her boyfriend had A scooter . They left it in hallway and the cruise line took it every night and charged it . They could not take in cabin.They don’t always have enough handicap. I will be going on Oasis in Aug . Again I have l a handicap cabin and a scooter rented . I hope this helps I would het in touch with Travel agent or Royal they will have the answers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off of the Oasis of the Seas this morning.   Had a Central Park interior view standard stateroom.  There was plenty of room for the scooter.  It was easy to drive the scooter into the room.  I found it easier to just manually push it out by moving the little lever in the back.  You will need someone to hold the door open for you.  Or, you can use a door stop.  This only works if your stateroom has the bed near the balcony/or window.  Not if the bed is near the door.  I moved the table to the side next to the closet.  There was plenty of room for the table there.

image.thumb.jpeg.3287f24db0c85c51f4e99a421e4199ea.jpeg

Edited by karin037
  • Like 1