Another ArriveCan Question

Elaine5715

1 hour ago, pkster said:

This is not exactly right.  I'd recommend you read the following:  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise (which includes the passage pasted below). Yes, you do need a COVID-19 test, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative test.  In particular, see #3.

Getting an embarkation test before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

Oh, this actually contradicts the link I posted, and neither has a date on it. Still, this press release said the testing requirement would be dropped for all fully vaccinated travelers on April 1: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-will-remove-pre-entry-test-requirement-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers-on-april-1.html. IME, ArriveCAN did not ask for a test result, only proof of vaccination and the health questionnaire.

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

Right, my point was just to clarify that it's the cruise lines requiring it, no longer the Canadian government. That's why the test results don't need to be included in your ArriveCAN submission.

No, the requirement for a COVID test to board a cruise ship is laid out in https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-may-6-2022. See Testing Framework.

I believe you have conflated entering Canada with boarding a cruise ship. They are not the same as the order applies to cruise ships entering and departing Canada.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

No, the requirement for a COVID test to board a cruise ship is laid out in https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-may-6-2022. See Testing Framework.

I believe you have conflated entering Canada with boarding a cruise ship. They are not the same as the order applies to cruise ships entering and departing Canada.

I see, so you're saying the Canadian government is still requiring COVID test to board a cruise ship that leaves from, arrives in, or calls on any Canadian port, but technically the test isn't required to be granted entry into Canada? (That is, you'll be denied boarding the cruise without passing whether you intended to go ashore in Canada or not?) That seems kind of weasel-wordy - the press release sure suggested that you wouldn't need a COVID test at all to take a cruise to/from Canada, whereas instead, we get a distinction without a real difference, IMHO. But if that's the case, it is what it is.

8 hours ago, strickerj said:

I see, so you're saying the Canadian government is still requiring COVID test to board a cruise ship that leaves from, arrives in, or calls on any Canadian port, but technically the test isn't required to be granted entry into Canada? (That is, you'll be denied boarding the cruise without passing whether you intended to go ashore in Canada or not?) That seems kind of weasel-wordy - the press release sure suggested that you wouldn't need a COVID test at all to take a cruise to/from Canada, whereas instead, we get a distinction without a real difference, IMHO. But if that's the case, it is what it is.

Yes, and yes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, strickerj said:

Right, my point was just to clarify that it's the cruise lines requiring it, no longer the Canadian government. That's why the test results don't need to be included in your ArriveCAN submission.

ArriveCAN is required to enter Canada. A CoVid test is not required unless you are going to cruise. 

27 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

ArriveCAN is required to enter Canada. A CoVid test is not required unless you are going to cruise. 

I see that now, although I still find it weird that the press release (and revised guidelines) say a COVID test is no longer required to enter Canada by land, air, or sea, but it actually is still required to board a cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I see that now, although I still find it weird that the press release (and revised guidelines) say a COVID test is no longer required to enter Canada by land, air, or sea, but it actually is still required to board a cruise.

The government of Canada has determined that cruise ships present a high risk of infection and is using its power to protect people.  But don't all cruise lines still require testing before boarding anyway? It is the timing which differs and needs to be followed. 

42 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

The government of Canada has determined that cruise ships present a high risk of infection and is using its power to protect people.  But don't all cruise lines still require testing before boarding anyway? It is the timing which differs and needs to be followed. 

I'm not sure; I thought the testing requirements were just by the cruise lines, but I see now I was mistaken on that. My point though wasn't that they shouldn't require testing for cruise ships (that's their prerogative), but that also publishing that COVID tests wouldn't be required for entry "by sea" adds to the confusion when the cruise ship testing requirement actually is in place.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I'm not sure; I thought the testing requirements were just by the cruise lines, but I see now I was mistaken on that. My point though wasn't that they shouldn't require testing for cruise ships (that's their prerogative), but that also publishing that COVID tests wouldn't be required for entry "by sea" adds to the confusion when the cruise ship testing requirement actually is in place.

Agree that the "by sea" does make it a bit confusing. Other "by sea" would include container ships, etc. It would help if they were to clarify immediately that cruise ships were a separate thing and perhaps provide an immediate link to their cruise ship requirements. 

Certainly many people are confused by what is needed- but many also balk at completing the ArriveCAN. I can't figure out why. It is such a simple thing to complete- takes minutes- as someone here on CC said- just do it. It takes less time to complete it than it would take to argue that you don't need it. 

• Like 1

I keep checking on the requirements and have downloaded the Arrivecan App onto my phone. 

I am sailing in August and am doing a land tour to Denali before my cruise and I am sailing out of Seward with my cruise ending in Vancouver. No other stops in Canada. So, I guess I am supposed to finish filling out the information on Arrivecan while I am in Denali? Since that will be 3 days before I sail?

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

Cruise ships represent a tiny portion of marine entries. One of the problems with press releases is that they are not good at conveying details of complex topics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Cruise ships represent a tiny portion of marine entries. One of the problems with press releases is that they are not good at conveying details of complex topics.

Yeah but the revised guidelines linked in the press release didn't mention additional requirements for cruise ships either. This is where those details should have been.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Yeah but the revised guidelines linked in the press release didn't mention additional requirements for cruise ships either. This is where those details should have been.

The press release was from Public Health Canada. The test requirement for boarding cruise ships is from Transport Canada. If memory serves, the Transport Canada order was published after the press release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Agree that the "by sea" does make it a bit confusing. Other "by sea" would include container ships, etc. It would help if they were to clarify immediately that cruise ships were a separate thing and perhaps provide an immediate link to their cruise ship requirements. 

Certainly many people are confused by what is needed- but many also balk at completing the ArriveCAN. I can't figure out why. It is such a simple thing to complete- takes minutes- as someone here on CC said- just do it. It takes less time to complete it than it would take to argue that you don't need it. 

Because if you read the instructions, they are very confusing.  Why they just don't say "Within 72 hours of boarding your cruise ship, you will need to upload an image of your identification and vaccine record to this app".

• Like 1