28 day Hawaii, Tahiti, Somoa?

phabric

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I just looked at your itinerary and would also love to hear what you think of Holland America. The itinerary is really, really good and has Fiji and the Marquesas included. It sounds like a fabulous cruise!

I've been curious about the HAL version of this cruise as well.  I've noticed there are a lot more islands visited given the extra week on board, but I wonder if they are distinct or do they all start to blend together eventually.  I guess you could say the same about the Caribbean if you've never been there and they seem different enough.

25 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I've been curious about the HAL version of this cruise as well.  I've noticed there are a lot more islands visited given the extra week on board, but I wonder if they are distinct or do they all start to blend together eventually.  I guess you could say the same about the Caribbean if you've never been there and they seem different enough.

I was/am wondering the same thing.  I guess there's only one way to know for sure...😉

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

We haven't been to Fiji (but would love to go!) but years ago, when the Princess small ships did alternating 10 day Cook Island, then Marquesas, trips we did them twice. The Marquesas are very different than the Cooks (Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora). Lots of archeological sites to visit. I did a lot of research in advance to find out what I wanted to visit and what private tours were recommended but we loved those trips ! You have to love the tropics and beaches - there are no museums and no big cities.

2022 doesn't work for us but if they do this itinerary again next year we'll definitely be looking at it!!!

Edited by chamima

8 minutes ago, chamima said:

We haven't been to Fiji (but would love to go!) but years ago, when the Princess small ships did alternating 10 day Cook Island, then Marquesas, trips we did them twice. The Marquesas are very different than the Cooks (Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora). Lots of archeological sites to visit. I did a lot of research in advance to find out what I wanted to visit and what private tours were recommended but we loved those trips ! You have to love the tropics and beaches - there are no museums and no big cities.

2022 doesn't work for us but if they do this itinerary again next year we'll definitely be looking at it!!!

Thank you for this information, I hadn't thought of historical and archeological sites.  Not that I mind lying on the beach but it is good to change things up even on a tropical cruise.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

If you have never been to the South Pacific you will enjoy it. I would not worry about the ports blending, they are different enough to be interesting. Have been to many South Pacific ports I noticed that they are not as commercial and tourist developed as those in the Caribbean. Some, example Moorea are indeed very limited in what they offer, but we were glad we visited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

If you have never been to the South Pacific you will enjoy it. I would not worry about the ports blending, they are different enough to be interesting. Have been to many South Pacific ports I noticed that they are not as commercial and tourist developed as those in the Caribbean. Some, example Moorea are indeed very limited in what they offer, but we were glad we visited.

Definitely liking the less commercial.... it's why we spend more time on Greek islands that are not Mykonos and Santorini.

4 hours ago, chamima said:

I just looked at your itinerary and would also love to hear what you think of Holland America. The itinerary is really, really good and has Fiji and the Marquesas included. It sounds like a fabulous cruise!

We've pretty much stuck to Princess and Celebrity (and a couple of Disney with the grandkids) but it might be time to start looking at something else.

Fiji is not on my HAL itinerary.  Looking forward to seeing the South Pacific...

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Fiji is not on my HAL itinerary.  Looking forward to seeing the South Pacific...

Is this your trip?

45-Day Tales Of The South Pacific (I just copied some of the itinerary, not the whole thing)

Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji Islands

ARRIVES 08:00 AM
DEPARTS 11:00 PM
Learn More
Oct 26, 2022

Dravuni Island, Fiji
TENDER REQUIRED, WHEELCHAIR ACCESS LIMITED
DEPARTS 05:00 PM
Learn More
Oct 27, 2022

Days at Sea

ARRIVES 12:00 AM
DEPARTS 11:59 PM
Learn More
Oct 28, 2022

Nuku alofa, Tonga

Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Vava u, Tonga
DEPARTS 03:00 PM
Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Cross International Dateline
CRUISING ONLY
  Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Alofi, Niue

Edited by chamima

54 minutes ago, chamima said:

Is this your trip?

45-Day Tales Of The South Pacific (I just copied some of the itinerary, not the whole thing)

Learn More
Oct 26, 2022

Dravuni Island, Fiji
Learn More
Oct 27, 2022

Days at Sea

Learn More
Oct 28, 2022

Nuku alofa, Tonga

Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Vava u, Tonga
Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

CRUISING ONLY
  Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Alofi, Niue

No, it is 35-Day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas round trip from San Diego February 18, 2023.

link is here:  K316 35-DAY HAWAII, TAHITI & MARQUESAS (hollandamerica.com)

Here is an itinerary calendar I made for myself:

South Pacific Itinerary February Feb 2022.pdfSouth Pacific Itinerary March Feb 2022.pdf

Edited by Daniel A

Guest ldtr

Personally, having visited the ports on both cruises I would find the HAL 35 day cruise to be much better than the 28 day Princess cruise.

3 hours ago, chamima said:

Is this your trip?

Learn More
Oct 26, 2022

Dravuni Island, Fiji
Learn More
Oct 27, 2022

Days at Sea

Learn More
Oct 28, 2022

Nuku alofa, Tonga

Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Vava u, Tonga
Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

CRUISING ONLY
  Learn More
Oct 29, 2022

Alofi, Niue

I've looked at this itinerary, I like that it has an overnight in Bora Bora.  Since the Zuiderdam has a capacity of 1,964 passengers and Bora Bora limits passengers to 1,200, how does HAL pull this off?  Are they limiting the ship occupancy to 1,200?

Guest ldtr
19 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've looked at this itinerary, I like that it has an overnight in Bora Bora.  Since the Zuiderdam has a capacity of 1,964 passengers and Bora Bora limits passengers to 1,200, how does HAL pull this off?  Are they limiting the ship occupancy to 1,200?

I expect that they will not be doing Bora Bora.

42 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I expect that they will not be doing Bora Bora.

I would agree except HAL has a 45 day cruise on the Zuiderdam (capacity 1,964) in Oct of this year that has an overnight in Bora Bora.  Since the new capacity regulations took effect in January, it would be incredibly dishonest of HAL to have not revised their itinerary if they know they will not be stopping in Bora Bora.  That's why I'm speculating that they are reducing their capacity on this sailing to 1,200, but I really don't know.

Edited by mnocket

Guest ldtr
7 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I would agree except HAL has a 45 day cruise on the Zuiderdam (capacity 1,964) in Oct of this year that has an overnight in Bora Bora.  Since the new capacity regulations took effect in January, it would be incredibly dishonest of HAL to have not revised their itinerary if they know they will not be stopping in Bora Bora.  

If you look at the schedule of Bora Bora there are several ships from various lines that are still on the schedule after September. Ships that are clearly to large to stop there.

I expect that the cruise lines are treating Bora Bora like they did Venice.  They will stay on the schedule until they are officially notified that they cannot visit.  So expect changes to take place closer to the departure dates

From their point a view a miracle might happen. After all until they are officially notified there is always a possibility, law or no law.

HAL still shows Bora Bora for the Noordam in October on the way to Australia as well.

I agree it is unethical, but not unusual for cruise lines.  

Edited by ldtr

20 minutes ago, ldtr said:

If you look at the schedule of Bora Bora there are several ships from various lines that are still on the schedule after September. Ships that are clearly to large to stop there.

I expect that the cruise lines are treating Bora Bora like they did Venice.  They will stay on the schedule until they are officially notified that they cannot visit.  So expect changes to take place closer to the departure dates

From their point a view a miracle might happen. After all until they are officially notified there is always a possibility, law or no law.

HAL still shows Bora Bora for the Noordam in October on the way to Australia as well.

I agree it is unethical, but not unusual for cruise lines.  

My 35 day cruise next year originally had an overnight in Bora Bora.  On February 14 of this year I was notified that the itinerary no longer had a port call at Bora Bora.  It may be possible that they made an agreement that HAL will limit the number of persons disembarking at Bora Bora.

Guest ldtr
Just now, Daniel A said:

My 35 day cruise next year originally had an overnight in Bora Bora.  On February 14 of this year I was notified that the itinerary no longer had a port call at Bora Bora.  It may be possible that they made an agreement that HAL will limit the number of persons disembarking at Bora Bora.

Well HAL still shows the Noordam going there in October, Royal and NCL still show larger ships going there.  All clearly above the limits.

Princess seems to have changed their itineraries.

The cruise lines actually have made more changes to 2023 cruises, than they have 2022 cruises

I just got back from spending 10 days in French Polynesia.  The locals on Bora Bora seem pretty certain that the law will be strictly enforced concerning the size limits

I will be willing to make a wager that it does not stop in Bora Bora, with the loser buying dinner on whatever cruise we happen to be on at the same time in the future.

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Well HAL still shows the Noordam going there in October, Royal and NCL still show larger ships going there.  All clearly above the limits.

Princess seems to have changed their itineraries.

The cruise lines actually have made more changes to 2023 cruises, than they have 2022 cruises

I just got back from spending 10 days in French Polynesia.  The locals on Bora Bora seem pretty certain that the law will be strictly enforced concerning the size limits

I will be willing to make a wager that it does not stop in Bora Bora, with the loser buying dinner on whatever cruise we happen to be on at the same time in the future.

No wager from me!  I'm in total agreement with you that Bora Bora will be off the table for mainstream cruise lines.  🤷‍♂️

Guest ldtr
22 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Just checked all of HAL cruises.  They show 10 cruises still showing stops in Bora Bora.   All on cruises 34 days or longer.  The ships are Noordam, Volendam and Zuiderdam.

Noordam 1972

Volendam 1432

Zuiderdam  1964

I can see where what you suggested might work for the Volendam, but I doubt they would lower the others to that level.

13 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Just checked all of HAL cruises.  They show 10 cruises still showing stops in Bora Bora.   All on cruises 34 days or longer.  The ships are Noordam, Volendam and Zuiderdam.

Noordam 1972

Volendam 1432

Zuiderdam  1964

I can see where what you suggested might work for the Volendam, but I doubt they would lower the others to that level.

Agreed, what I was envisioning was only being able to disembark in Bora Bora through a HAL sponsored excursion with a max of 1200 passengers.  I think they are still showing the old itineraries because they haven't yet negotiated new ports of call.  The likelihood of the excursion scenario is very slim so no wager for that one either.  😁

Wager or not, I'd be more than happy to share dinner if and when we might appear on the same cruise roll call!  🙂 

Edited by Daniel A

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Agreed, what I was envisioning was only being able to disembark in Bora Bora through a HAL sponsored excursion with a max of 1200 passengers.  I think they are still showing the old itineraries because they haven't yet negotiated new ports of call.  The likelihood of the excursion scenario is very slim so no wager for that one either.  😁

Wager or not, I'd be more than happy to share dinner if and when we might appear on the same cruise roll call!  🙂 

Sounds like a plan