Back from The Celebrity Flora's Galápagos Inner Loop: A Review

maryogreen

C0827C0D-E038-49F3-8F4A-CEFEEE29374A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a50c5e49577f005df915c9787362a1dd.jpeg

A Little Background

When my husband and I first thought about dong a Galápagos cruise, we knew we didn't want to go on one of the small boats that carry 16-50 passengers. We felt there was too much risk of being the "odd-man-out" if a large family or group had chartered the boat and liked the idea of the 100-passenger Flora. We typically have sailed on Seabourn, Regent and the late Crystal and consistently had heard good things about Celebrity's Galápagos operations.

We also considered Silversea's Galápagos voyages – both Celebrity and Silversea have almost identical new ships – but we liked Celebrity's Quito pre-cruise city tour with a visit to the equator as well as the charter flights directly to and from the Galápagos, with no stops in Guayaquil. Plus, we really liked Celebrity's Inner Loop itinerary...so, Celebrity it was.

Then there was the issue of getting there. We live in San Diego, and traveling to the Galápagos isn't easy. Most flights start late at night and connect through one of three U.S. cities, with nonstops to Quito – Houston (United Airlines), Atlanta (Delta) and Miami (American) – with the connecting flight to Quito arriving late at night. We opted for a mid-morning flight from Los Angeles to Miami, with an overnight stay at the excellent EB Hotel a few minutes from the airport...followed by a mid-morning flight to Quito the next morning, with an early afternoon arrival. We booked the flights on our own, and Celebrity provided the transfers in Quito.

1500690114_ViewofQuitofromAirplaneWindow.thumb.jpeg.d70bf8b6a589454c6214375501b5651e.jpeg

Travel and the Pandemic

Celebrity did a top-notch job with Covid protocols and handled all the necessary testing paperwork and arrangements seamlessly. A representative met us at the airport in Quito and arranged a van for the 45-minute drive to the JW Marriott Hotel. Each couple or group had its own van due to social distancing. We were tested twice for Covid – a PCR test after we arrived and an antigen test before flying to the Galápagos. We were required to wear KN95 masks during our stay in Quito, but did not have to wear any masks in the Galápagos. At the end of the cruise, based on U.S. regulations, we were tested again at the EB Hotel near the airport in Quito before flying home.

Quito City Tour

The city tour was on par in terms of quality and guide with any we have had on other cruise lines we've sailed. This tour offered a comprehensive look at Quito's "Histórico Centro" old town area and a fun visit to the equator as well as lovely places for lunch and dinner. Groups of about ten were assigned a guide and tour bus. We stayed together like a little Covid pod, sitting with our group at designated tables for lunch and dinner. This pandemic protocol was designed to keep us as safe as possible, but it turned out to be a great way to get to know people early on as well as a means to an end of not having to wear masks once we were on the ship.

712986880_StandingontheequatoratIntinanSolarMuseumQuitoEcuador.thumb.jpeg.ae8b1c6b4870274b40eac6d744abe0cb.jpeg

The Celebrity Flora

What a beautiful ship! We were in cabin 526, a Sky Suite with Veranda – spacious, with more than enough storage, and a lovely bathroom with a separate sink and faucet with filtered water for filling our water bottles. It's a personal choice whether to opt for a veranda or an "Infinite Veranda" cabin that offers more room with a large window rather than actual outdoor space. From our experience, we loved having the veranda. Although this isn't a cruise where you spend a huge amount of time in your cabin, it was wonderful to sit outside, take photos and watch the Galápagos go by.

2004872541_SunsetOverTheGalapagosIslands.thumb.jpeg.b9ac2036b203146f43542e98fd4f7300.jpeg

The Food

Meals were served in the Seaside Restaurant, with breakfast and lunch buffets and dinner table service. As part of Covid protocols, at the buffets the staff grabs plates and walks with you, dishing your choices. It was never a problem, with little-to-no wait. A limited special menu for lunch and dinner was also available at the outdoor Ocean Grill. We were hugely surprised by the quality, variety and taste of the Galápagos-based Ecuadorian cuisine. The wonderful chef was from Colombia and will soon be opening one of the specialty restaurants on Celebrity's newest ship. The service was terrific as well and equal to other ships we've sailed, with servers even learning our names and whether we preferred regular or carbonated water. Special kudos to the incredibly talented and personable Ukrainian server Natalia, who proudly boasts that she and her Ecuadorian husband, also a server, opened the Flora.

B44D70CB-E98A-42D9-9D78-1D05724EBB4C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.03c84317a721610141babfd34a503211.jpeg

The Internet

This was the best and fastest Internet we have had on any cruise ship. And it was free. Outlets were available for both U.S. and European-pronged plugs. It is helpful to bring a multi-use adaptor with USB ports for charging phones, cameras and laptops.

The Expeditions

The main event on this itinerary is the fantastic wildlife and fascinating landscape of the Galápagos Islands. We couldn't have asked for a better experience here. Excursion briefings were held each evening before dinner in the Discovery Lounge, where we selected our expeditions for the following day. We were off the ship twice a day on morning and afternoon hikes or zodiac cruises that included options for beach snorkeling. An additional deep water snorkeling experience was also offered on several days.

F4EB1EE0-EB69-4D90-B031-85A6D941B160_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.211e461382d23532320f787383e9aa8e.jpeg

The expedition team guides were certified naturalists by the Galápagos National Park Service. They did a terrific job leading the hikes and zodiac tours, explaining what we were seeing as well as identifying the various birds and animals. All were excellent, but we did have a few favorites including the ever-delightful Charly, whose enthusiasm was so effervescent that it seemed as if he was seeing the Galápagos for the first time!

E486D908-C36A-4429-8BB4-ADB44FE4EDE8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.eddd5b3e5f137307f8e8429baffa0723.jpeg

Bottom Line

Our experience on the Celebrity Flora was outstanding in every way. We can't stress enough how well organized everything was and how friendly the staff was. From the moment we were met in Quito to the champagne welcome and greeting from captain Patricio and hotel director Vlado when we arrived on board, to the final night at the EB Hotel, our experience we equal to any cruise we have sailed.

We arrived home exhausted from this most active adventure and incredibly fulfilled!

A39DD8D7-9E97-411D-8652-66EBB8AE0CC1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4e27be5e70a0a4f97cb1ed0e876fcf07.jpeg

Mary

Travel Blog: https://www.themodernpostcard.com

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

14 minutes ago, maryogreen said:

@thebutlerdiditThank you so much! I'm glad you found the review helpful. I will be posting stories and photos on my blog from each expedition in the coming days.

Mary

I have bookmarked your blog for future reading and reference. I’m looking forward to going through it in detail.  Can I ask a very basic question? This itinerary and ship seems very all inclusive. Does onboard credit come into play at all? Which services or products cost extra once onboard?

9 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I have bookmarked your blog for future reading and reference. I’m looking forward to going through it in detail.  Can I ask a very basic question? This itinerary and ship seems very all inclusive. Does onboard credit come into play at all? Which services or products cost extra once onboard?

You're absolutely correct that this is an all inclusive cruise. The only extra costs that I'm aware of were for alcoholic beverages at the Quito city tour lunch and dinner and anything extra you might want to purchase on board at the spa, gift shop or premium wines. We had no onboard credit, so perhaps someone else could weigh in on how this would be handled. Hope this helps!

I am awaiting a quote from Celebrity for a Galapagos cruise ... but not on the Flora, which I would generally prefer. I am told that the suite bathrooms have see through glass doors which is my main sticking point. 

Your comments would be appreciated.

Ta

Question for you: on board the Apex last month, we booked the Celebrity Flora for a 7 Night Inner Loop, Galapagos cruise, which includes two nights pre-cruise at the JW Marriott in Quito, and two nights post-cruise at the JW Marriott. Is this more or less the same cruise that you took, just with a different hotel involved? I am asking only because you mentioned a different hotel. 

Tom & Judy

Nice review.  We are booked for an Xpedition sailing in Nov 2023.  I saw the same flight schedule problem as you (we live in Chicago) and had concluded that I want to book an overnight stay near MIA in between flights like you did.

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I am awaiting a quote from Celebrity for a Galapagos cruise ... but not on the Flora, which I would generally prefer. I am told that the suite bathrooms have see through glass doors which is my main sticking point. 

Your comments would be appreciated.

Ta

We had heard about the bathroom glass as well and wondered if it would be an issue. It was not at all a problem for us. The bathroom has a larger mirror in the center, which does not show through to the living area, and glass on each side that looks through to the living area and beyond to the veranda doors. The design idea, I imagine, was to offer a feel of the outdoors. The bed faces the veranda doors as well. The Flora is a stunning ship, and for me the bathroom glass would not be a deal-breaker. But it's good to do your own research and go with what you find is the best fit. Best of luck with your plans. The Galápagos is a fabulous and unforgettable place!

7 hours ago, TFree said:

Question for you: on board the Apex last month, we booked the Celebrity Flora for a 7 Night Inner Loop, Galapagos cruise, which includes two nights pre-cruise at the JW Marriott in Quito, and two nights post-cruise at the JW Marriott. Is this more or less the same cruise that you took, just with a different hotel involved? I am asking only because you mentioned a different hotel. 

Tom & Judy

Hi Tom & Judy, Yes, this is the same itinerary as ours. The difference is that we did not book the post-cruise. It's a 45 minute drive between the airport and the JW Marriott. When we returned to Quito, Celebrity divided us into groups – those who were doing the post-cruise were transferred to the JW Marriott; those – including us – who had flights either later that evening or early the next morning were transferred to the EB Hotel, which is less than 10 minutes from the airport. Be sure to keep an eye on the Celebrity website as it gets closer to your cruise. Things tend to change because of Covid protocols. I know the post-cruise shopping excursion was cancelled on our cruise. If it is cancelled when you sail, the JW Marriott should be able to arrange a driver or private tour for you. I was thrilled that the pre-cruise city tour went as scheduled, with mask-wearing and smaller groups. Here's a link to my blog post on what we saw in Quito, which should give you an idea how much we were able to take in:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/a-day-in-quito-galapagos-gargoyles-glittering-gilded-ness-a-tale-of-two-equators/

Mary

6 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Thank you for your review!  We're booked next year on Flora for the Inner Loop, so we look forward to hearing more about it.

You are so welcome! The Galápagos is such a special place, and seeing it on the Flora is a real treat. I will be posting stories and photos from all our excursions on my blog, which you might find helpful as you plan your time there. 

Mary

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Nice review.  We are booked for an Xpedition sailing in Nov 2023.  I saw the same flight schedule problem as you (we live in Chicago) and had concluded that I want to book an overnight stay near MIA in between flights like you did.

Thank you! We found that staying overnight in Miami and arriving in Quito in the daytime was a great way to avoid jet-lag and get settled before the city tour. After reading reviews of hotels near Miami International, we chose the EB Hotel, which I highly recommend checking out as you do your research. Also, Quito is in the U.S. Central Time Zone, and although the Galápagos runs on U.S. Mountain Time, the ship remains on Quito time...a nice bonus for someone from Chicago 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you for your great review.  We are going to be aboard the Xpedition August 20 for the Northern Loop cruise.  We're lucky to be living in FL so we're flying out of Miami.  I'll check out your blog for more details! 

Your review of Flora/Inner Loop was just perfect, along with your photos.  We would have been on the exact same cruise, but unfortunately had to cancel.  Thank you for sharing a little of what we missed.  The Blue footed Boobies are my favorite!

I always enjoy reading reviews of Galapagos cruises. Galapagos is high on my bucket list and definitely want to go in the next couple years. The Buenos Aires-Santiago beat it out for next year 🙂

Did you have any issues with the altitude in Quito? 

49 minutes ago, catlover2027 said:

Thank you for your great review.  We are going to be aboard the Xpedition August 20 for the Northern Loop cruise.  We're lucky to be living in FL so we're flying out of Miami.  I'll check out your blog for more details! 

I'm so glad to know you enjoyed the review! You are sure to have a wonderful time in the Galápagos, and you definitely have a flight advantage living in Florida 🙂 Please feel free to email me (blog's contact page) if any questions arise before your cruise that I might be able to help with. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Your review of Flora/Inner Loop was just perfect, along with your photos.  We would have been on the exact same cruise, but unfortunately had to cancel.  Thank you for sharing a little of what we missed.  The Blue footed Boobies are my favorite!

I'm sorry to have missed you on the Flora, and I hope you will be able to reschedule. I will be posting stories and photos on my blog from every excursion, if you'd like a little more detail of what we experienced. I have to admit that the blue-footed boobies were my favorites as well!

Mary

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

I always enjoy reading reviews of Galapagos cruises. Galapagos is high on my bucket list and definitely want to go in the next couple years. The Buenos Aires-Santiago beat it out for next year 🙂

Did you have any issues with the altitude in Quito? 

My husband and I were concerned that Quito's altitude would be an issue, but we didn't have any problems. The Celebrity tour guides advised everyone to drink LOTS of water and avoid alcoholic beverages, which can impact altitude sickness. We did not take any pre-medication. 

We did an Antarctica cruise with Seabourn a few years ago that began in Buenos Aires and ended in Santiago. Although Antarctica was the centerpiece of the cruise, we were thrilled that we had booked the itinerary that included Argentina and Chile. Still an all-time favorite!

• Like 1

Absolute enjoyed your review and second all that you have said here. I also did the Flora late April, May and it was the adventure of a lifetime. I tell all not to put it off. Do it while you are young and able to thoroughly enjoy it.

97A3258D-9BCC-4DAA-82ED-406D0690B1FD.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoseAnn55 said:

Absolute enjoyed your review and second all that you have said here. I also did the Flora late April, May and it was the adventure of a lifetime. I tell all not to put it off. Do it while you are young and able to thoroughly enjoy it.

97A3258D-9BCC-4DAA-82ED-406D0690B1FD.jpeg

RoseAnn55, Great to hear from another recent Flora traveler! I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed the review and that you had a similar experience. And I completely agree with your recommendation of not putting this most active Galápagos itinerary too far down on the list!

16 minutes ago, julieacp1 said:

Thank you for this wonderful review! We are booked on the Celebrity Flora in 2024.

julieacp1, You are very welcome! I'm happy to share information on this wonderful adventure. I will have stories and photos from each excursion on my blog in the coming days. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions as it gets closer to your cruise.

Mary