September........what's the best 7 day itinerary

acadran

1 minute ago, acadran said:

Given we sail from Vancouver, what would be an ideal itinerary for September for a first timer?  Galcier Bay or Hubbard?   Or try to do both?  

If itinerary offers both, that would be my first choice.

However, with well over 20 sailings into Glacier Bay, it is still my favourite. Regardless of the weather, we have never failed to see a glacier and as an additional bonus, the Park Rangers provide brilliant commentary. While at Hubbard, I have missed it a couple of times dues to ice. 

If you are considering late September, you also have an increased chance of rough weather, if going up to Hubbard.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

However, with well over 20 sailings into Glacier Bay, it is still my favourite. Regardless of the weather, we have never failed to see a glacier and as an additional bonus, the Park Rangers provide brilliant commentary. While at Hubbard, I have missed it a couple of times dues to ice. 

If you are considering late September, you also have an increased chance of rough weather, if going up to Hubbard.

Valuable information.  Thank you.   My first choice was Koningsdam (we loved her sister ship the Nieuw Statendam) but Majestic Princess has a 10 day that goes to both GB and Hubbard (but  $$$$)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Glacier Bay is a must see. Don't miss the chance to see it.

I treated my sister to an Alaskan cruise when she retired five years ago.  We went in Sept. and I would never go at that time again.  It was rainy in Juneau, Glacier Bay's main glacier had no snow, just bare rock, etc.  Not much of a treat for her 😞.  The only bright, sunny day was when we went to Dawes Glacier (up Endicott Arm).  I'd been to Alaska a number of times, but had never been to that fjord/glacier.

Regarding Hubbard, would I be correct in assuming that later in the season (e.g. August or September) would offer a better chance at getting close to the glacier? (We just got back from an Alaska cruise that didn't include Hubbard, and I'm already starting to plan a return trip.)

11 hours ago, strickerj said:

Regarding Hubbard, would I be correct in assuming that later in the season (e.g. August or September) would offer a better chance at getting close to the glacier? (We just got back from an Alaska cruise that didn't include Hubbard, and I'm already starting to plan a return trip.)

Correct.  One year we went in Sept and then the following May.  Got very close in Sept but far away in may.  Many people on May cruise were very disappointed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m confused. I’m looking at a Princess Cruise for September so we can go to Glacier Bay. Are you saying it may be bare rock? Now I’m thinking because of that maybe I should stay away and maybe go on CelebrityCruise that goes to  Endicott Arm.  Would that be a better choice for September. Really don’t want to go to Alaska and see bare rock. 

2 hours ago, cruiseforus said:

I’m confused. I’m looking at a Princess Cruise for September so we can go to Glacier Bay. Are you saying it may be bare rock? Now I’m thinking because of that maybe I should stay away and maybe go on CelebrityCruise that goes to  Endicott Arm.  Would that be a better choice for September. Really don’t want to go to Alaska and see bare rock. 

Have been to Glacier Bay well over 20 times, which includes weekly visits for 2 Alaska season and I have never failed to see glaciers in GB.

My only photos in Sept are from 1980. Even in September, some weeks were sunny and others overcast and/or stormy.

239732820_1980-SunPrincesscruisinginGlacierBayapproachingaGlacier.thumb.jpg.5b1d92914cc09b0d18fa2dcd3c5b0d55.jpg1236459281_1980-SunPrincesscruisinginGlacierBayGlacier2.thumb.jpg.9f8947f569780e90de0f7cc61839caa6.jpg2085050905_1980-SunPrincesscruisinginGlacierBayGlacier7.thumb.jpg.3ecc8a0cd6b05983d013be790abab838.jpg

Hardly all rock. Glacier Bay is a much better option than Dawes Glacier

• Thanks 1

Went to glacier bay last year in September. I am very confused on why someone would think they would see rock. 

We had a great time there during that time frame and would absolutely do it again.

Ok, I guess I didn't see rock exactly (just looked at my photos).  But the glacier was very "dirty" and the day was overcast so it wasn't the same as when my DH and I had visited in May and the glacier was "cleaner" looking and larger.