Refund after I cancelled

pennyspain

Three days before we were due to sail on Epic out of Barcelona on 5th June, my husband was taken into hospital. I contacted my travel agent on Friday 3rd June to ask them to notify NCL that we couldn’t travel. I have a cancellation invoice from my TA which indicates that I should get prepaid gratuities, taxes, and excursions refunded. Questions 1. Will we get our CruiseNext credit refunded? 2. How long are we likely to wait for refund? Thank you.

First - I hope your husband is recovering from whatever had him in the hospital.

You would need to review the cancellation policy for your region to find what you're entitled to receive for refund of the cruise fare.  Your TA should know this as well.  If you took out insurance, most likely a claim against the insurance is your course of action.

• Like 1

When we had to cancel the Ultimate Baltics cruise in 2019 due to a severe medical condition, our PCC cancelled it for us and gave us a link to go to AON (we had NCL insurance) to make a claim. After uploading some forms and doctor’s signed form, we got all monies back less the insurance. The cruise next wasn’t brought back but as I said we got all the monies back …. 

4 hours ago, pennyspain said:

Three days before we were due to sail on Epic out of Barcelona on 5th June, my husband was taken into hospital. I contacted my travel agent on Friday 3rd June to ask them to notify NCL that we couldn’t travel. I have a cancellation invoice from my TA which indicates that I should get prepaid gratuities, taxes, and excursions refunded. Questions 1. Will we get our CruiseNext credit refunded? 2. How long are we likely to wait for refund? Thank you.

28 days have passed since I put in a claim for the same refunds and I have yet to hear anything from NCL.  I called today and was told they would send an email to the financial department.  Will call again on Friday to see if there is any further news.  I'm wondering if it might be faster to do it via the credit card company.

Edited by jennjess

3 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Unfortunately disputing the charge with the credit card company won't work.  NCL will just provide them a copy of the cancellation policy validating the charge.

Are you suggesting that NCL's policy is that prepaid gratuities and shore excursions are NOT fully refundable?  That's a new one.

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you suggesting that NCL's policy is that prepaid gratuities and shore excursions are NOT fully refundable?  That's a new one.

Not suggesting anything, new or old, but the credit card dispute route has proven to be a loser for the cruiser in most situations.

4 hours ago, jennjess said:

28 days have passed since I put in a claim for the same refunds and I have yet to hear anything from NCL.  I called today and was told they would send an email to the financial department.  Will call again on Friday to see if there is any further news.  I'm wondering if it might be faster to do it via the credit card company.

You're omitting a lot of information.  I wonder why?

38 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Not suggesting anything, new or old, but the credit card dispute route has proven to be a loser for the cruiser in most situations.

It's worked for me every time I've used it (cruising or otherwise).  I have no idea where you're getting your information.

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's worked for me every time I've used it (cruising or otherwise).  I have no idea where you're getting your information.

Well I hope that will be my last resort, fingers crossed it won't come to that.

39 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That may be a valid route for the pre-paid gratuities and excursions, yes.  Doing a CC dispute for the fare because the cruise line is sticking to the cancellation policy and you don't like it is not a winning proposition.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

That may be a valid route for the pre-paid gratuities and excursions, yes.  Doing a CC dispute for the fare because the cruise line is sticking to the cancellation policy and you don't like it is not a winning proposition.

No doubt, but that wasn't the scenario I (and this thread) were discussing.  You may wish to reread the OP. 😎

16 hours ago, pennyspain said:

Hi Pennyspain,

If like us,  you booked through the U.K. office then as your agent says you will of course get a refund on gratuities, shore excursions etc. Sadly though you will not get your deposit (CruiseNext) refunded or any other payment for the cruise itself.   Has your insurance covered this part it should do?  Hope your husband is on the mend and you can look forward to cruising again soon

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No doubt, but that wasn't the scenario I (and this thread) were discussing.  You may wish to reread the OP. 😎

Actually, the 2 items asked after the word 'questions' don't mention the gratuities or excursions, they asked if they should expect their CND's refunded and how long it should take.  I guess we were both wrong....

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

Actually, the 2 items asked after the word 'questions' don't mention the gratuities or excursions, they asked if they should expect their CND's refunded and how long it should take.  I guess we were both wrong....

Yeah, it isn't really clear what "question 2" is referring to.  Oh well, that's the internet for ya'.

The context of my comments began with my initial comment:

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That led to the side bar on credit card disputes, which are 100% reliable when a merchant doesn't honor their own refund policies.