Using Geo-Blue on Oceania or Azamara

We currently have Geo-Blue annual policy for our travels.  Thankfully never had to use on ship.

I was curious on the procedure.  Do you pay the cost up front to the ship and apply later for a refund.  Or will the ship file a claim with Geo-Blue

will Geo-Blue reimburse the actual cost, or like Medicare only the approved amount.

Would love to hear from someone with actual experience.

You would need to pay up front and file for reimbursement with GeoBlue.  Be sure to get detailed records from the ship medical center before leaving the ship.

In off-ship situations, this may be different. GeoBlue has a worldwide network of providers.  If you are able to use one of those providers, they will accept GeoBlue assignment and you will not need to pay upfront (except for possibly the deductible).  The provider deals directly with GeoBlue. Unfortunately, none of those network providers are cruise ship medical centers. 

Pay upfront and file for reimbursement is pretty much the way most travel insurance works.  This includes plans purchased from the cruise line as well as third party plans.

PS:  I have read about situations where GeoBlue may get involved with a non network provider on your behalf for an expensive medical problem.  If you ever are in situation like this, it would not hurt to contact GeoBlue at the beginning.  Maybe @Hlitner can provide additional insights. 

Edited by Jersey42

11 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

You would need to pay up front and file for reimbursement with GeoBlue.  Be sure to get detailed records from the ship medical center before leaving the ship.

In off-ship situations, this may be different. GeoBlue has a worldwide network of providers.  If you are able to use one of those providers, they will accept GeoBlue assignment and you will not need to pay upfront (except for possibly the deductible).  The provider deals directly with GeoBlue. Unfortunately, none of those network providers are cruise ship medical centers. 

Pay upfront and file for reimbursement is pretty much the way most travel insurance works.  This includes plans purchased from the cruise line as well as third party plans.

PS:  I have read about situations where GeoBlue may get involved with a non network provider on your behalf for an expensive medical problem.  If you ever are in situation like this, it would not hurt to contact GeoBlue at the beginning.  Maybe @Hlitner can provide additional insights. 

In the past we have had minor claims ashore  and reimbursement, other than a deductible was smooth.  Urgent care in Australia and in Canada..  Was just curious about shipboard claims.  Have heard stories about exorbitant fees from shipboard

2 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

I can only speak to our one major claim situation where the Provider (Osaka General Medical Center) treated my DW.  That major teaching hospital was not a Network Provider and I was actually on the phone with GeoBlue while DW was being treated.  The result was that we had to settle our bill at discharge (done with a credit card) and later submit the paperwork for reimbursement (we were fully reimbursed).

The reality of travel is most folks seek treatment in an urgent or emergency situation and have little choice as to hospitals or physicians.  If you get lucky and the providers are part of the GeoBlue's network they will normally accept assignment which means you would pay little or nothing up front.  But we have long suggested that travelers make the assumption that if they need medical treatment while traveling, they will likely be required to pay their bill and later seek reimbursement.  Accordingly it is very valuable to have 1 or more major credit cards with a high credit limit.  It is the same with medical services on the ship.  With Geoblue we had to pay Princess and were later reimbursed by Geoblue.

I am not aware of any travel medical insurance that reliably will directly pay hospital and physician bills.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In February, I required treatment in the medical unit on the Silhouette. I requested and received detailed billing from the medical unit (nearly $1,000).  The bill was charged to my cabin, similar to if I had bought a beverage package or jewelry in a ship store. 
When I returned home, i filed the GeoBlue claim form along with the required detailed statement from the medical unit. A few weeks later, I received a check for the full amount, minus a $200 deductible. 
Although the medical issue was stressful, filing the GeoBlue claim was not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Have heard stories about exorbitant fees from shipboard

Actually, I've heard quite the opposite. Then again, if you come from a country where you rarely if ever actually receive a bill from a healthcare provider, I'm sure the one from the ship infirmary could be a huge surprise.

5 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Thank you all.  The best insurance is the one you never need to use.

Actually, one "uses" insurance even when there isn't a claim!

Having that "peace of mind" also has considerable value!  🙂 

GC