Best and most useful things you’ve brought on your cruise

ccc321

2 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

Yep.  We pack carefully for the cruise.  Leaving, though?  Everything gets tossed in the suitcase as it's all going in the laundry when we get home.

Same - at least 2hrs to pack FOR the cruise (doing laundry included) - 10-15min to pack for going home.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Y'all make me so worried. My husband and I pack pretty much nothing. We literally share a bookbag style backpack and small carry on (the kind that fit in a tiny plane). That's it. Why do you need a plethora of stuff? Yikes!!

Why in the world would you get "so worried" about what others bring with them.

Are they somehow expecting *you* to carry it for them?  Or...??

Why do you care what things others need or just want to bring along.

You DO understand, I hope, that sometimes there are "things" that are not optional... certain medical equipment or supplies come to mind...  And some of them, especially if there are several such "things", can take up a lot of space.

But why would you care if it is a device to help someone breath or if it is their favorite large teddy bear from childhood, etc.?

Many people would have a much more enjoyable trip (or other aspects of life) if they didn't get "so worried" about what others are doing if it doesn't interfere with what *you* want to do.

Give yourself a break!  Relax and enjoy your trip, your way.

GC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Isn't that grounds for divorce?  😁

Your post is the one of the most unique thinking posts I have read on CC.  😀  I understand your thinking.  Having to get my luggage out each time I needed an article of clothing would become a chore for me, however.  

Its easy. Plenty of room under the bed.

Just pull it out, unzip, close your eyes and grab the first shirt your hand touches. re zip push back under bed, and your good to go.

Live a little dangerously.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I must be doing something terribly wrong if it is supposed to take a day or so repacking!   Might take 20 minutes, with Mrs Ldubs prompting of course!   😃

You see you make my point for me.

I get no nagging, you call it prompting, because i never unpacked to start with.

I am winning here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Shrike said:

Yep.  We pack carefully for the cruise.  Leaving, though?  Everything gets tossed in the suitcase as it's all going in the laundry when we get home.

I dont wear designer clothes, so you may be surprised to hear that I am not averse to just throwing clothes in the bin, and not bothering to take home.

I took a few polo shirts, 4 of which I bought for £5 each, and wore them to death.

They were not coming home with me. 

My case was lighter on the return trip.

And little washing to do. *disclaimer

*not that I do the washing anyway.

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

You DO understand, I hope, that sometimes there are "things" that are not optional... certain medical equipment or supplies come to mind...  And some of them, especially if there are several such "things", can take up a lot of space.

But why would you care if it is a device to help someone breath or if it is their favorite large teddy bear from childhood, etc.?

Many people would have a much more enjoyable trip (or other aspects of life) if they didn't get "so worried" about what others are doing if it doesn't interfere with what *you* want to do.

GC

Errrrr I dont think they are worried about what others take, more that they are worried they dont take enough. Based on the huge amounts some people seem to take.

• Like 1

Huge amounts.... literally all the things I mentioned fit into the inner flap of the suitcase lid. I'd rather have them if I need them then to spend 20+ minutes searching for a store that sells them in a random port I've never been to before and paying 10x what it cost me on Amazon.

But to each their own. We've got those portable luggage scales at home and our bags have never been more than 30lbs each going on a trip. Coming home is a different story since we always bring back bottles of booze or wine from our adventures. But that's why we splurge for business class when we can and pack a folding duffle bag in the case. On the way home that gets filled with dirty laundry making extra room for the liquor in the harder cases.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

It was more a joke - I do find that unless I note specifically *sarcasm* that I'm taking too literally. Perhaps I should have been born British so I'd have an excuse for my dry humor (humour). 

I'm not actually worried - well actually, I guess a little. I see these poor creatures schlepping four and five and six and more ginormous suitcases around the airports, and then the cruise terminal. Great job security for the port personnel though!! 

I do travel, not so infrequently, with my grandmother who requires an oxygen concentrator, walker, bi-pap and all those accoutrements! Plus, of course the requisite bag(s) of yarn, croquet hooks, books, multiple bags of clothes, cartons of cigarettes (oh the irony), and so many other unnecessary items! Now, that is when I do worry, because I'm the one doing the schlepping! Perhaps this is why I have an aversion to taking boatloads of suitcases for myself!

@DarrenMis correct - I'm more worried about others, than myself. I just giggle a little at all their supplies and carry on with my day. 

Oh well - I'll keep on laughing at those with more than me - I'm not judgmental, I just enjoy a hearty laugh. And you damn well better laugh at me when I'm trying to jam that walker in my car on top of four dogs in the back! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We've got those portable luggage scales at home and our bags have never been more than 30lbs each going on a trip. 

Just a note:  If you need to weigh your suitcases before heading home, take them to the gym.  

• Like 1

We bring many of the things mentioned here like magnet clips and clothespins and OTC medicines. I like the idea of a tiny nightlight for the bathroom. We learned our lesson the hard way to bring a small, yet sturdy, wine bottle opener and a couple Rabbit-style bottle stoppers.

Paula

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It was more a joke - I do find that unless I note specifically *sarcasm* that I'm taking too literally. Perhaps I should have been born British so I'd have an excuse for my dry humor (humour). 

I'm not actually worried - well actually, I guess a little. I see these poor creatures schlepping four and five and six and more ginormous suitcases around the airports, and then the cruise terminal. Great job security for the port personnel though!! 

I do travel, not so infrequently, with my grandmother who requires an oxygen concentrator, walker, bi-pap and all those accoutrements! Plus, of course the requisite bag(s) of yarn, croquet hooks, books, multiple bags of clothes, cartons of cigarettes (oh the irony), and so many other unnecessary items! Now, that is when I do worry, because I'm the one doing the schlepping! Perhaps this is why I have an aversion to taking boatloads of suitcases for myself!

@DarrenMis correct - I'm more worried about others, than myself. I just giggle a little at all their supplies and carry on with my day. 

Oh well - I'll keep on laughing at those with more than me - I'm not judgmental, I just enjoy a hearty laugh. And you damn well better laugh at me when I'm trying to jam that walker in my car on top of four dogs in the back! 

I am British, so I got it. We dont get much right in the UK these days, very little infact, but we do own sense of humour.

15 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Powdered electrolytes.

When you combine heat, booze and not drinking enough water during the day, hangovers can be brutal. We will mix some electrolytes into some water before bed and drink it down. Helps tremendously.

This I COULD go for

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I can't agree with your assessment -- not if you're pulling a suitcase from under the bed every day instead of spending 5-10 minutes setting up your room on Day 1. 

It takes about 2 seconds. My case isnt heavy to start with. For example I only took 3 pairs of shoes, and I wore one of them to travel in. 

And plus I am right. I get no nagging. Because there is nothing to see. 

The no nagging bit is a huge win. MASSIVE.

Also, I am quite health conscious. (lost 18kg in the last 10 months), and being on a cruise is not conducive to being slimish.

So taking all of these gadgets just so I dont have to leave the room constantly is a no no. 

I would rather get a glass of wine and take to the room, and when I want another, walk to the farthest away bar to get another.

Means I can drink and be active at the same time.

I walked down to the 3rd deck and back up to 16th deck every day on reflection.  

And did a 5k run on 7 of the 11 days.

All so I could drink and eat way too much.

And not look like Boris Johnson

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Is this another example of your dry British humor, or should I have wrote "humour?" 😉

Nah. That was just a fact.

I could make so many humorous comments about said fella, but I had better not. 

Quiz question:

Why does the word Humour have a U after O, but when you spell Humorous that U isnt there?

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I am British, so I got it. We dont get much right in the UK these days, very little infact, but we do own sense of humour.

Oh I'm so thankful! This is why we get along...you get me! Most people look at me with blank stares when I make a joke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

It takes about 2 seconds. My case isnt heavy to start with. For example I only took 3 pairs of shoes, and I wore one of them to travel in. 

And plus I am right. I get no nagging. Because there is nothing to see. 

The no nagging bit is a huge win. MASSIVE.

I might should have tried your style! I found that my socks kept popping out the closet every time I opened it. Then the undies got bunched up under my t-shirts. Our style of packing up is throwing everything back in our suitcase the morning we disembark or leave a hotel. Same style when we leave home for a vacation too! 

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 5:26 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Huge amounts.... literally all the things I mentioned fit into the inner flap of the suitcase lid. I'd rather have them if I need them then to spend 20+ minutes searching for a store that sells them in a random port I've never been to before and paying 10x what it cost me on Amazon.

But to each their own. We've got those portable luggage scales at home and our bags have never been more than 30lbs each going on a trip. Coming home is a different story since we always bring back bottles of booze or wine from our adventures. But that's why we splurge for business class when we can and pack a folding duffle bag in the case. On the way home that gets filled with dirty laundry making extra room for the liquor in the harder cases.

My bag is usually 49.9#.  Few years ago I had to buy a new digital scale because the old analog one was weighing light.   The good people at the check-in gave us a bye when our bags weighed in a few pounds over.  

On 6/22/2022 at 7:14 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Just a note:  If you need to weigh your suitcases before heading home, take them to the gym.  

What is this "gym" that you speak of?

In all my cruises I don't think I've even found where the gym is let alone stepped inside of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

What is this "gym" that you speak of?

In all my cruises I don't think I've even found where the gym is let alone stepped inside of it.

I stepped into the gym on the Getaway, because that's where the embarkation day spa raffle was! Certainly wasn't going to do any cardio or pumpage of weights!!!!!

• Haha 1