So my topic on dealing with post shoulder surgery and cruising got removed - which guideline did I violate?

zalusky

So I created a post over the weekend discussing my wife's shoulder surgery and our planned cruise next month.  Everybody was helpful and there were good tips from people who have gone through it and then cruised.  Then Sunday night I think the thread was removed and I don't have permission to view it.  I looked through all the guidelines and cannot see anything that would apply.

Can somebody educate me on what might be inappropriate about this topic?  How can you follow the rules if you don't know what you did?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, deec said:

strange...maybe one of us who responded broke a rule....hope you had been reading them each day.  Best of Luck to your wife!

If that was the case I wish they could just delete that post!  I am sure it was helpful to others with varied but close situations.

11 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Bummer! 

It might not get you anywhere but I would ask the folks who run this website. Tell them you would like to know so that you can avoid making the mistake in the future. 

The guide lines state decisions are final and no notification to any participant will happen.  I am hoping that posting this reference doesn't get this thread removed

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

Posts may be removed from our forums at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic without notification to the author or discussion participants. We may also MOVE a post to our Floataway Lounge that has veered off the original topic. All decisions regarding post removals are final.

Edited by zalusky
  • Like 1

I have noticed over the past couple of months that posts, and also whole topics, have been removed without explanation. Maybe they should put a few informed forum contributors on the “Board of Deletion Decisions”. It seems rather unfair that the contributors don’t have a say in what gets deleted, as some of the info can be very informative and helpful to others. 

Even Trip Advisor isn’t that harsh —. and for saying that, this post will probably be deleted. But at least TA doesn’t delete whole topics. They close topics for unacceptable content, which is fair, but they don’t delete a post without explanation. 

• Like 4

My recollection is the thread was filled with excellent suggestions on how to manage the trip if your spouse decides she is able to travel.

I wonder if CruiseCritic moved it to a "helpful hints' or similar thread for all cruise passengers?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

My recollection is the thread was filled with excellent suggestions on how to manage the trip if your spouse decides she is able to travel.

I wonder if CruiseCritic moved it to a "helpful hints' or similar thread for all cruise passengers?

If they did move it I should still be open it in its new location.  When I tried to open it under the notifications list representing the last poster that referenced me I get permission denied.

5 hours ago, zalusky said:

So I created a post over the weekend discussing my wife's shoulder surgery and our planned cruise next month.  Everybody was helpful and there were good tips from people who have gone through it and then cruised.  Then Sunday night I think the thread was removed and I don't have permission to view it.  I looked through all the guidelines and cannot see anything that would apply.

Can somebody educate me on what might be inappropriate about this topic?  How can you follow the rules if you don't know what you did?

I have developed a couple of discussion forums and performed the Admin and Moderator roles for over 10 yrs. While I developed similar rules of conduct, we took a softer approach to moderating the forum, providing a warning for inappropriate posts.

CC is clearly a much larger forum, so they utilise a management method that works for the forum owners. Unfortunately, they do not provide feedback on why topics and/or posts are removed.

I am surprised to read your new post, as I saw nothing that was questionable content. You received lots of great suggestions.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently had shoulder replacement surgery (8 months ago), I think I posted to your discussion, and I certainly don't recall anything that would be remotely objectionable.

My wife and I did an 11-day Caribbean cruise 7 weeks after my surgery, and I had no trouble whatsoever on the trip. I made sure to put my affected shoulder away from the aisle on the plane, with my wife on my left side to protect my shoulder; I brought my therabands so I could do physical therapy on board, and stuck to my schedule (sliding balcony door worked fine for anchoring the band). I also made sure not to pick up my suitcase with my affected arm.

Swimming in the pool was a great thing to do; it felt really good to do isometric exercises in the water, and my doctor recommended it as well. 

All in all, there was nothing that prevented me from having a great time on the cruise.

• Like 2