Self Guided Art Tour

Carla3

Just read a question on another platform asking if HA still does the self guided Art Tour around the ship. Apparently you check out an airpod from the library and listen to narration as you toured the ship and viewed the various Art displays. What a great idea! I’ve only done one HA cruise. It have another coming up soon. This would be great on sea day. Do they still offer this?

2 hours ago, Carla3 said:

Just read a question on another platform asking if HA still does the self guided Art Tour around the ship. Apparently you check out an airpod from the library and listen to narration as you toured the ship and viewed the various Art displays. What a great idea! I’ve only done one HA cruise. It have another coming up soon. This would be great on sea day. Do they still offer this?

They are no longer offered.   I downloaded the ones that used to be offered and you can download them HERE.   They don't have them for the pinnacle class ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I asked about this when on the Nieuw Statendam.  The front desk located the PDF version of a booklet with a picture, title, and artist name for every piece of art.  They had printed copies (a poor ink-jet version) tucked away, and after some consultation found a way to email a file to my phone.

9 hours ago, JennysUncle said:

I asked about this when on the Nieuw Statendam.  The front desk located the PDF version of a booklet with a picture, title, and artist name for every piece of art.  They had printed copies (a poor ink-jet version) tucked away, and after some consultation found a way to email a file to my phone.

Interesting that this information is now available.  While it's an improvement over the untitled art that abounds around the ship, such limited information does not satisfy me.  What in the heck is the message that the replica of David holding a smart phone supposed to say to me?  What was the sculptor's message?  

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 7:14 AM, Herkimer18 said:

Any chance you might have one for the Osterdam?

Here is the audio tour for the Oosterdam.  We plan to take this tour on our upcoming cruise on Oosterdam later this summer.  I have them for all HAL ships that existed at the time these tours were originally made (perhaps 5-7 years ago) but none for the Pinnacle Class ships.  Let me know if someone wants one for another ship.  I had a very difficult time getting them from the WayBack Machine that someone else posted a link to, but it should be easy to download directly from my file.

Here are all the available art tours

Holland America used to offer IPODs preloaded with audio art tours on the various ships.  They are no longer produced.   I was able to capture the following art tours in both the Apple Audio Book format as well as the MP3 format.   Enjoy!  HERE is the link

Amsterdam MP3
Massdam MP3
Noordam MP3
Prinsendam MP3
Rotterdam MP3
Ryndam MP3
Statendam MP3
Veendam MP3
Volendam MP3
Westerdam MP3
Zaandam MP3
Zuiderdam MP3

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Y'all ROCK! Since HAL makes a big deal of their art collections--deservedly so--you'd think they'd make the art info more readily available. I once pestered the gal at future cruises (being referred to her after reception made phone calls) about info--on a particular painting--and she reluctantly pulled out a 3-ring binder of laminated pages. Would not let me remove from her desk to even sit nearby and page through! 

And, a few years back, one of the then-new ships (K-dam?) had a small offshoot of Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum near reception. They had books and other publications to check out, as well as a gallery of loaned works--and a listing of all the other art on the ship. Wonderful! If it was the Koningsdam, it's since been replaced the Dutch Cafe. A shame, as that was quite exciting.

Then there was Riviera's (Oceania) collection of terrib--I mean, interesting art. That is, not to our taste (art history major here). Curated by the owner. Mostly early-to-mid-century expressionist, surreal, and/or disturbing paintings. Isabella Rossellini stared at our bed... A few were quite good though. Sculptures were spectacular. And they proudly shared laminated sheets of the art (provenance, discussion) individually separated by deck. 

Edited by sofietucker