Munich airport

Great questions @carlmm. Not sure how we are supposed to answer questions without key info. 

Munich is a very well designed,  pretty easy to use airport,  but I don't think I would ever count on being able to connect in an hour, if I wasn't familiar with it.

I am connecting through this airport, too July 27.  

I booked with Royal Caribbean Air2Sea and had a SAS flight that connected in the US and then direct to Stockholm.  However, that was cancelled 2 months ago. I asked for a flight from the US to Frankfurt with a 2 hr layover, but that was not available.  So, like Lionheart I have a flight [United Airlines] from the US to Munich with a 1 hr 15 minute layover [arriving at 7:30 am] and then to Stockholm with Lufthansa. [booked through United]

I feel very uncomfortable about the connection.  But, there are just no other seats.  I know this must be true because they put us in business class. I hope that since we will be at the front of the plane we can get to the immigration/customs line quickly and maybe make our connection.  If not we have 5 days before the cruise.  But, I will be bummed to miss the time in Stockholm.

This timing was not my first [or even second choice] but, we love the idea of business class on the overnight flight.  

edit:  another CC poster left this message for me on another thread [I hope this will help the OP]:

A quick check tells that both Lufthansa and United uses T2.  Lufthansa's Stockholm flights seems to be using G and K gates while United seems to be using the H gates.

https://www.munich-airport.com/_b/0000000000000006574457bb5ce79589/airport-guide.pdf

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Coming from the U.S. (or another country that is considered secure), you shouldn't have to clear security again, but you will have to go through immigration. In general that's quick in Germany, but there's no guarantee and recently there have been lines.

Tip: there are electronic passport gates, but with a U.S. passport you have to register in advance with the Bundespolizei for EasyPass RTP if you are a U.S. citizen.
https://www.easypass.de/EasyPass/EN/.../rtp_node.html

Currently this is only available for adults with U.S., South Korea,  or Hong Kong passports.

Whether the time is adequate also depends on your mobility. Last month, transiting in the other direction, I was walking slowly because of Achilles tendonitis, and I'm not sure that I would have made it in an hour.

Edited by kochleffel
Add e-gate registration link
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Coming from where?

Within Schengen - no problem.

Non  Schengen to Schengen - normally close but doable, yet right now there are problems due to staff shortages everywhere. 

Newark to Munich than Munich to Stockholm 

one hour layover 

The min connecting time in MUC for Lufthansa/UA flights I believe is actually only 45 minutes in the system and doable. Even a line at pass control, I dont see it being an issue. The train that connect the two terminals takes 5 minutes for the whole process. MUC T2 is a great airport to connect through. 

And another inside thing is that MUC security is still hired by the state. Not outsourced like other airports in Germany. German airports have had their issues like all airpots, but MUC has the least issue due to the Bavarian state doing things their own way. 

I also work for an airline group where MUC is on of the hubs 😉

Edited by mousefan73

3 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

The min connecting time in MUC for Lufthansa/UA flights I believe is actually only 45 minutes in the system and doable. . . . . . MUC has the least issue due to the Bavarian state doing things their own way. 

Thank you--this is very good to know.