How much aggravation is there..Vancouver to Anchorage

EagleAlum

My husband and I are taking the Northbound Inside passage from Van to Anchorage..How are the airports and customs and getting your luggage from one place to the next? How is the process? This is my first time that I have flew to my ship..We normally drive to the port. Any information would be greatly appreciated..

It's the nature of the beast that getting to/from airport-ship is a comparative aggravation. So be it.

Vancouver to ship really isn't too bad. Depending on your gate it can seem like you're walking forever to reach Immigration/Baggage Claim, but from there on out it isn't too bad. There is ample room between baggage carousels; carts are readily available. Then it's a short hop through Customs to transportation.

Now, Seward to Anchorage is another matter entirely :eek: . First, you have to be up and ready to disembark long before the roosters are up (and remember, roosters get up early up here). It's a fairly long---but beautiful ride into Anchorage. If you are staying for a time, then that's easy. If you are flying out, it's not far to the airport; last time I was there check-in was easy.

It's a long, long flight home compared to flying back from Vancouver.

Allow time in Vancouver for delays with customs. Then just take a cab to Canada Place, about $30++ca most cabs take credit cards. You clear US customs at Canada Place, since all the rest of your sailing is Alaska. In Seward you just walk off your ship.

BUT, take advantage of being in Seward and don't just pass through. It is a city filled with superb touring possiblities, so at least stay the day here. I highly recommend a Kenai Fjords boat tour with at least 6 hours on the water. There is one leaving at 11:30am, with time for a look at something else if of interest- Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs.

Then if necessary and can't overnight- take the Alaska RR (NOT the costly cruise contracted train), to Anchorage, leaves about 6pm, arrives Anchorage about 10:15pm. Wonderful scenery. IF you want to leave THAT night, have a flight for 1am or later. Anchorage is a slow moving congested airport.

But again, I recommend adding several days and do some interior touring, it's a shame to be all that way and not take advantage of it. Otherwise the round trip Vancouver sailings are the better deal.

I took HAL on the same route you are doing.

I want to confirm the advice just given by budgetqueen -- you must consider doing the kenai fjords tour!

This is what I did in Seward

1) Did kenai fjords tour, most awesome scenery and wildlife I saw the whole trip. Little rough though.

2) cheap cab to exit glacier and back

3) Then boarded afternoon RR train to anchorage. Beautiful ride.

Was no trouble, didn't even overnight in seward. You can skip #2 if you want but you gotta consider that kenai fjords trip.

The Kenai Fjords trip post-cruise was awesome. One of the highlights of the trip, if not, THE highlight. Just as you, I flew into Vancouver, and flew out of Anchorage. At the time, I got a great airfare with HAL so I selected their air. There were absolutely no problems. I took the bus to the port, and the bus to the airport afterwards. Typically, I arrange my own taxi, etc, but had no problem doing this. Again, the Kenai trip is a MUST. It is pricey, but SO worth it.

Marie

We went directly from the ship to the Anchorage airport, and I wouldn't do it that way again. I had not realized just how far Anchorage is from Denver (especially with a connection) -- much longer flight times that the non-stop flight to Vancouver. Between the travel from the ship to Anchorage, waiting at the Anchorage airport, the flights home and then actually getting to our house, it ended up being one unbelievably long and exhausting travel day -- not the way to end an otherwise wonderful cruise to Alaska.

Barb

Archived