Seabourn/Carnival Stock holder discount

JPH814

2021 US Annual Report - Shareholder Benefit - Final.pdfThe price of the Carnival stock has taken a tumble lately.  As of today's close, you can buy 100 shares for $884 . That number of shares (100 or more)  entitles you to a "stockholder credit" when you take a Seabourn Cruise (or other Carnival lines).  For a 7 to 13 day cruises you get $100 of On Board Credit.  For longer cruises, you get a $250 on-board credit.  This is almost a no-brainer.  Check out the attachment.

I do not know how much longer Carnival is going to honor this (Although they have been doing it for a long time). .Jump on this if you can.

Edited by JPH814

First of all - I am a Seabourn fan and I hold Carnival stock, now almost exclusively for the shareholder benefit (ShB). That said, as a retired financial planner person, I suggest considering what you are really trying to accomplish. If you are looking exclusively at the ShB, then it may pay off long-term. According to one Morgan Stanley analyst (https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/29/investing/carnival-stock-morgan-stanley/index.html), there is still more potential downside on the stock. Again, this is just an opinion and the usual disclaimer, past performance is no guarantee of future results, is evident. Again, I am retired and no longer in the business.

• Like 1

I disagree with the title of the post.  This is a benefit for those who own CCL stock and ought not to be called a "discount".  There are some who believe that we CCL stock owners do get a discount on our fares because of that ownership.  Certainly not the case.  

@rkacruiser I think it's splitting hairs, but you're of course correct that the shareholder promotion is an onboard credit, not a discount off the base fare price. And for anyone wondering while reading this thread, it's a pretty small thing: $100 or $250, depending on the length of the cruise. 

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 4:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

I disagree with the title of the post.  This is a benefit for those who own CCL stock and ought not to be called a "discount".  There are some who believe that we CCL stock owners do get a discount on our fares because of that ownership.  Certainly not the case.  

You are absolutely right.  I do not know why I titled it that way,  Oh well....

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, cruiseej said:

@rkacruiser I think it's splitting hairs, but you're of course correct that the shareholder promotion is an onboard credit, not a discount off the base fare price. And for anyone wondering while reading this thread, it's a pretty small thing: $100 or $250, depending on the length of the cruise. 

My point is not that it is significant when you realize the price of a cruise - especially Seabourn. (Remember it applies to any of CCL cruise lines)  My point is more from the stock point of view:  with today's price you would get an immediate 11.3% return on the investment (for a 7 day cruise) or a 28.3% return (for a 14 day cruise).  It would at least make sense to buy 100 shares, file for the OBC and then sell it.   Unless you anticipate taking additional cruises in the near future.

Sorry the attachment did not get posted.  Simply google "Carnival stock benefits"  and you will find the details

So I have 100 shares of Carnival as well and my Cruise departs July 16th.  How do I get the information to Seabourn?  Travel Agent? Call Reservations myself?

I have a 150.00 OBC from them already for rebooking during covid, and my TA is providing another 500.00!  Is this something that can be piggy backed on top of those??

Thanks,

Steve in Dallas

Edited by iramack
correction of dep date

1 hour ago, iramack said:

So I have 100 shares of Carnival as well and my Cruise departs July 16th.  How do I get the information to Seabourn?  Travel Agent? Call Reservations myself?

I have a 150.00 OBC from them already for rebooking during covid, and my TA is providing another 500.00!  Is this something that can be piggy backed on top of those??

Thanks,

Steve in Dallas

All you have to do is email your brokerage statement showing ownership of 100 shares of CCL to Seabourn guest services.  You should black out your account number and any other information.  Just your name, statement date, # of CCL shares information will suffice.  I do it with a snippet tool of a page of my e-statement.

The shareholder OBC isn't much, but it is the only OBC that is stackable with any other OBC.

Edited by sfvoyage