Looking for under-seat bag

Twitchly

Reading today about the latest luggage snafu at Heathrow and various other luggage horror stories this summer has made me look more seriously at bringing only a carryon in September. I think I might just be able to manage it if I bring a capacious bag to go under the airplane seat as well. 

I’m looking for something that can sit on top of my carryon as I’m dragging it around. No backpacks or rollers. 

Suggestions?

Edited by Twitchly

Ebags no longer makes the one I have, but this is very similar. It has qualified as the "personal item" on flights within North America. With restrictions tighter in Europe, I'm not sure how it would fare, but worth looking at.

1417711041_Carryall_Front34_Strap.jpg

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/handbags-totes/belcourt-convertible-carryall/141771XXXX.html?dwvar_141771XXXX_color=Black&cgidmaster=backpack-bags-handbags-totes

Edited by burnabyjean
  • Like 1

I have that tote - or its identical twin.  Think I may have gotten it from Magellan’s.  I put a small purse in it for airport use then the tote qualifies as a personal item.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burnabyjean said:

Ebags no longer makes the one I have, but this is very similar. It has qualified as the "personal item" on flights within North America. With restrictions tighter in Europe, I'm not sure how it would fare, but worth looking at.

1417711041_Carryall_Front34_Strap.jpg

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags/handbags-totes/belcourt-convertible-carryall/141771XXXX.html?dwvar_141771XXXX_color=Black&cgidmaster=backpack-bags-handbags-totes

If you are putting it under the seat (which will work unless the airline has already filled the space with the electronics equipment😖), two things to keep in mind: size (there's not much room under the seat) and zippers to keep everything inside the bag. 

Also, look for a bag that has a luggage handle sleeve that will slide over the handle of your carry-on to help keep the bag in place. Otherwise, gravity will help the bag that you have balanced on top find its way its way closer to the floor (and in my case, usually with a jolt as it swings down and starts dragging on the floor).

This is smaller than I think you are looking for but it shows the sleeve idea:

81s7Ehq2ZfL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, a sleeve on the back would be ideal. I’m finding straps, like the one on the black ebags tote above, but not sleeves. 

Those of you who’ve used bags with a strap on the back rather than a sleeve, how has that worked out for you when you stack it on your carryon?

I’m also wondering about small duffles, again with a sleeve on the back. I don’t need it to look pretty, just hold a lot and yet miraculously fit under the seat.

In my experience, a strap works well on an upright, four-wheeled bag. It can dislodge if you have the bag tipped (two wheels), especially if you are hurrying through an airport. 

• Like 1

Those are wonderful, Clay, and look like they would hold a lot. Did he base them on a commercially available bag by any chance?

Love the bright red carryons, too. What are they again?

Edited by Twitchly

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Those are wonderful, Clay, and look like they would hold a lot. Did he base them on a commercially available bag by any chance?

Love the bright red carryons, too. What are they again?

He did not. We discussed what we wanted and he made a pattern and made one and then we revised it slightly for the second one. Best part to me is the key ring in the pocket!  Had one inside my office computer bag and I love knowing I’m not gonna loose my keys. 

Our suitcases are Away Bigger Carry-Ons in a special editor Serena Williams red. 

• Like 1

I use this one. 

Arxus Travel Lightweight Waterproof Foldable Storage Carry Luggage Duffle Tote Bag https://a.co/d/ii5l7cA.

Sorry, I don't know how to paste links.  It's on Amazon.  It is very lightweight and folds into a very small shape.  On the other hand, because it is so thin, it doesn't pad anything inside.  I usually just use a large purse on the way to a cruise and pack this for the return trip.  The purse fits inside for the return trip and there is still a lot of room left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dd57 said:

I use this one. 

Arxus Travel Lightweight Waterproof Foldable Storage Carry Luggage Duffle Tote Bag https://a.co/d/ii5l7cA.

Sorry, I don't know how to paste links.  It's on Amazon.  It is very lightweight and folds into a very small shape.  On the other hand, because it is so thin, it doesn't pad anything inside.  I usually just use a large purse on the way to a cruise and pack this for the return trip.  The purse fits inside for the return trip and there is still a lot of room left.

You sure can’t beat the price on that one.

It is quite durable; I've taken it on at least seven trips.  If you line the bottom with a tightly rolled change of clothes to make a base, it stays upright pretty well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dd57 said:

I use this one. 

This is what dd57 wanted to post.  Anyone who wants to know how to use a link/URL to paste a picture into a CC post, I'm happy to explain -- just as long as you are working on a PC/Windows desktop or laptop (anything else and I'm useless). E-mail at me  peregrina651- cc7 @ yahoo.com (delete three spaces to make this address work) I don't want to explain here because that would be hijacking the conversation

If you have trouble with the link above, it is because somehow the final period got attached to the link and is upsetting the apple cart. In your browser delete the final period and it will take you right to the bag.

71+GOB-NOdL._AC_UL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I just bought this one at a much reduced rate over on Amazon: 

https://www.baggallini.com/overnight-expandable-laptop-tote-with-rfid-phone-wristlet/OET337-BG-B0001-NS.html

Will report back after I’ve seen it.

If your taking a laptop I suspect this will serve you well.  Once I quit work and didn’t travel with a laptop anymore I discovered how much space I was giving up due to the padding.