Are Falklands Fully Open Yet?

ALD18

Was wondering whether the Falklands were fully open to the big cruise ships again or just the smaller ones still?  They were being overly cautious on opening up post COVID.  We're heading there in January 2023 on the Norwegian Star and wondering about investigating the shore excursions there.  Particularly looking at 3rd party excursion to see the Emperor penguins.  Understand there was/is confusion of what size and who's ships were stopping there now.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Was wondering whether the Falklands were fully open to the big cruise ships again or just the smaller ones still?  They were being overly cautious on opening up post COVID.  We're heading there in January 2023 on the Norwegian Star and wondering about investigating the shore excursions there.  Particularly looking at 3rd party excursion to see the Emperor penguins.  Understand there was/is confusion of what size and who's ships were stopping there now.  Thanks.

Try Patrick Watts for the best excursion to see the penguins - 3 different kinds.  They will have their young by January.  pwatts@horizon.co.fk

48 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

There are no cruise ship calls there at this time of year and the cruise season usually starts in December, so whatever the rules were at the end of the last season, which was months ago, won't necessarily apply in December. Probably you want to check back closer to December.

Patrick Watts is taking bookings for Volunteer Point only at this. However, we do not know for sure if we will get to go. I am on the same sailing and have booked an excursion with him.

11 hours ago, Shella73 said:

Patrick Watts is taking bookings for Volunteer Point only at this. However, we do not know for sure if we will get to go. I am on the same sailing and have booked an excursion with him.

Yes, we were looking at using them as well.  Did he give you any direction in regards if he was actually open running the excursions?  Some time ago he posted on one of these forums that he was taking bookings but the ports were still not open for business.  You could book with him on the assumption they would be reopening in due time, but you could get out of the booking easily if they were still closed.  Did you have to pay for the excursion up front or was book and pay later?  Thanks!!!!!

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

Yes, we were looking at using them as well.  Did he give you any direction in regards if he was actually open running the excursions?  Some time ago he posted on one of these forums that he was taking bookings but the ports were still not open for business.  You could book with him on the assumption they would be reopening in due time, but you could get out of the booking easily if they were still closed.  Did you have to pay for the excursion up front or was book and pay later?  Thanks!!!!!

We are going December 23 and we’re paying day of.

8 hours ago, tony s said:

We are going December 23 and we’re paying day of.

Kind of simplifies things across the board in regards to money changing hands and port does not open.  Thanks for the input, will be looking into booking with them asap.  Appreciate everyone's responses. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tour booked with Patrick Watts for February 2023.  Though hopeful the Falklands will be accepting cruise ships next year, he did not sound too optimistic. After rebooking a South America cruise each year since 2019, I’m tempering my own optimism with realism that any cruises will return to South America any time soon. 

Edited by psygist

We went ahead and booked with him as well, but as you stated he didn't sound to optimistic.  Although, did seem to leave the door open a little bit.  I liked he refused payment prior to arrival to simplify things financially for all involved.  Here's hoping it opens  up as the King penguins at Volunteer point is the premier attraction of the trip for me.  

3 hours ago, psygist said:

I have a tour booked with Patrick Watts for February 2023.  Though hopeful the Falklands will be accepting cruise ships next year, he did not sound too optimistic. After rebooking a South America cruise each year since 2019, I’m tempering my own optimism with realism that any cruises will return to South America any time soon. 

We are on the Sapphire Princess in Jan-Feb and I just tried to book with Patrick Watts Volunteer Point for  Feb 01, 2023. He said he was fully booked with a long wait list! He didn't give me any indication that cruise ships may not be able to come!

He did offer me a tour to Cape Bougainville to see Rockhopper penguins. Not my first choice but maybe ok. Anyone know of this tour?

• 3 weeks later...