Dying before the cruise

deepurple

I'm very sorry for your loss.

25 minutes ago, kapear said:

I'm very sorry for your loss. Here is our experience. Our family was scheduled to go on a holiday cruise- parents- the 4 siblings/step-siblings and spouses, 9 grandchildren. 2-3  weeks prior to the cruise, my step- dad fell, hit his head and later passed of his injury. We opted to go on the cruise, as he would have wanted us all to go. My parents had purchased HAL insurance on the cruise. With the help of our TA, my mom was able to get my step fathers portion of the cruise refunded. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, RuthC said:

I'm happy this all worked out for you. 

HAL will help facilitate committing the ashes off the stern of the ship. They will slow the ship down, and provide a certificate pinpointing where the ashes were dropped. 

Thanks Ruth.

For some reason I thought HAL had stopped allowing this.  

Off to research now - much appreciated 👍 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, RuthC said:

I'm happy this all worked out for you. 

HAL will help facilitate committing the ashes off the stern of the ship. They will slow the ship down, and provide a certificate pinpointing where the ashes were dropped. 

We have heard that. We asked our own children to do this with us, and when my FIL found out, that is what he wanted, although he was specific it MUST be a HAL ship!

• Like 3

On 7/13/2022 at 8:08 AM, kazu said:

Thanks Ruth.

For some reason I thought HAL had stopped allowing this.  

Off to research now - much appreciated 👍 

We were told we could still do this after the ships starting sailing again after the pandemic.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, KAKcruiser said:

I would guess that if someone dies, HAL would refund the money after being given a death certificate.  Then they would charge the other person in the cabin at the solo rate.  If so, it is the same amount of money but you could get rid of the anxiety.  You need to talk to someone at HAL.  

This is exactly what we do not want!

1 minute ago, deepurple said:

We were told we could still do this after the ships starting sailing again after the pandemic.

Who did you email / talk to please if you don’t mind to share?  Thanks 🙂 

On 7/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, cruising sister said:

I am confused to why she can’t check in. Each person has their own check in. I know people who have checked in at the pier.  My husband recently died and I was able to get all of his FCC transferred to me. This was on Celebrity but I am sure it will be the same on all cruise lines. I have a cruise booked for December with his name and mine both. It is cheaper than any deal I can get now. He will be a no show at the pier. 

The two ladies had the same reservation number, so I think that was the issue, which is now resolved.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, Roz said:

When I've sailed with my sister, we've been able to check in independently and print out our own boarding passes and luggage tags.  By any chance did your SIL pay for both of them?  That may have something to do with it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

They each paid their own way, but they had the same reservation number. I is hopefully resolved now. I have my mom's boarding pass.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, rrraydon said:

I'm a bit confused I think. Does your mom not have the booking number to go online to the cruiseline's website and check in? As long as she has the booking number, she can go online and check in herself.

Checking in was not the problem. Getting an active Boarding Pass box was. I have her boarding pass now, and I hope it is resolved. Thanks!

Update for me with Celebrity. My TA called X and told them of the circumstances. No problem taking DH off the reservation and I actually received a HUGE discount because X was having a sale on solo bookings. Thanks to you all for your help and info re your experiences. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Update for me with Celebrity. My TA called X and told them of the circumstances. No problem taking DH off the reservation and I actually received a HUGE discount because X was having a sale on solo bookings. Thanks to you all for your help and info re your experiences. 

I am so happy it turned out well for you. Happy sailing!

We are finally taking our Celebrity cruise in December from April 2020. Two cancellations and an unacceptable itinerary change. We are looking forward to that upcoming cruise!!!

• Like 1

Sort of related to the issue you were having, but which is now resolved:

I was unable to print boarding passes for us, two days before sailing this past March. Both of us had checked in. However, DH had not provided a billing source (our credit card), nor had he filled in next of kin, and where to fly him to should “something” happen.  As soon as he did that, we both were able to get boarding passes.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:30 PM, kazu said:

I simply called the 877 number at the top of the screen and I was forwarded to the department that looks after this. I do not remember the name of the actual department. We have been instructed to go to Guest Services when we board and let them know we have the containers, and they will contact us when they have a date, time, and location set up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deepurple said:

I simply called the 877 number at the top of the screen and I was forwarded to the department that looks after this. I do not remember the name of the actual department. We have been instructed to go to Guest Services when we board and let them know we have the containers, and they will contact us when they have a date, time, and location set up.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 3:30 PM, kazu said:

I was told to email ship services and they would help make arrangements.

onboardeventservices@hollandamerica.com

We are hoping to bring my DH ashes for burial at sea in November.

Edited by OVgirl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I was told to email ship services and they would help make arrangements.

onboardeventservices@hollandamerica.com

We are hoping to bring my DH ashes for burial at sea in November.

Thanks.  

Appreciate it.  Looks like we have the same timing but maybe just different ships.

• Like 1