Bye Bye Silversea Cruises

Yankeeclipper1

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

SS is not "more expensive because its more exclusive" it is what it is, it is certainly not exclusive  or more exclusive than any other cruise line.   

Sorry, I meant more inclusive not exclusive.. Oceania doesn't include drinks, gratuities, excursions etc. Also SS cabins are larger, so this also explains part of the price difference if you compare apples to apples.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I'm curious what problems did you have with Oceania. We had two cuisses with them so far and were very happy (except for not enough activities and mediocre entertainment, but this is less important for port intensive itineraries). 

I don’t want to hijack this thread more than it has been already. You can read my review here. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=686473

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

In our Explorer days we loved it when Pia was the chef…

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We were lucky enough to have Pia on the Cloud in June.

Totally agree about Executive Chef, Pia.  

My all time favorite Silversea chef is Anne-Mari Cornelius. I’d sail just about any itinerary if I knew she was going to be on board as Executive Chef.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Sorry, I meant more inclusive not exclusive.. Oceania doesn't include drinks, gratuities, excursions etc. Also SS cabins are larger, so this also explains part of the price difference if you compare apples to apples.

I was hoping we werent back at the "type of passenger" conversation.   It is so nice on SS not having to wear a bracelet or sign for everything you have, drink or do.   Unlimited champagne doesnt come cheap but paying for it as on other cruise lines would certainly create a big dent in the piggy bank back home!!

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

I was hoping we werent back at the "type of passenger" conversation.   It is so nice on SS not having to wear a bracelet or sign for everything you have, drink or do.   Unlimited champagne doesnt come cheap but paying for it as on other cruise lines would certainly create a big dent in the piggy bank back home!!

It was not my intention to open the  "type of passenger" conversation. I just mentioned that SS is more expensive partially because it's more inclusive (there are other reasons as well).

But you right, for people who don't drink and/or like to arrange their own excursions, Oceania might offer a better value. 

My TA sends me Oceania's marketing material, I've looked into them several times.  When compared to the three luxury lines IMO Oceania definitely has the best itineraries.  Food and drink are important to us and it appears that Oceania has competitive food, given my last Regent experience and many comments it isn't like the luxury lines offer a consistent high quality food product, sometimes it great others just ok.   Oceania costs $120/day for the premium drink package, the wines are equivalent to the luxuries, the Champagne not so much and like labrasett I like my Champagne.  Oceania's connoisseur wine list has excellent selections but is very expensive 2-3x SS.  We would prefer not to show the "card" but it isn't the end of the day. 

We would only go one of the larger ships, ships like the Regatta mentioned by "Maine" have very small rooms.  SS is much more formal which is fine by us, Oceania people dress decently which is also fine.  It varies but you an usually get a PH on Oceania for about the same as a Veranda on SS.   Oceanias room & common spaces are a step down but still seem ok. 

So we are waiting for SS to release its '24 Med schedule and hope its to our liking but if it isn't we will probably book Oceania (new Vista).    SS to Australia if I can find a biz class airfare that doesn't cost more than the cruise.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

My TA sends me Oceania's marketing material, I've looked into them several times.  When compared to the three luxury lines IMO Oceania definitely has the best itineraries. 

Just curious: when you say "the three luxury lines", which are you referring to?  SS, Seabourn, and Regent?

I've always had a difficult time trying to figure out what are the tiers of cruise lines (Basic entry level, mid-level, luxury??) and what cruise lines go into which.  

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Just curious: when you say "the three luxury lines", which are you referring to?  SS, Seabourn, and Regent?

I've always had a difficult time trying to figure out what are the tiers of cruise lines (Basic entry level, mid-level, luxury??) and what cruise lines go into which.  

Yes they are considered "ultra" luxury and Oceania is "ultra" premium.  That's my understanding anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@RetiredandTravel"if I can find a biz class airfare that doesn't cost more than the cruise."

I hear ya, pricing up for a trip next year which starts in Fiji, ends in Broome, 10k plus. TA thinks she can get it down. 🤞

Yeah you really need to make the cruise reservation within the window of getting airline tickets.   Direct LAX - SYD often run 10k+ each, Auckland a little cheaper but not much.  May have to connect but that aint so cheap either and a pain.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thanks for the response.  I must admit, however, to being a bit disappointed at not finding out about some hidden gem that I was unaware of.

Viking Ocean has delicious breads & pastries

On 7/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, ggo85 said:

Not food but beverages.  We’re on Moon and they ran out of Diet Coke and Coke Zero 5 days into a 10-day cruise.  Sorry, but that is really not acceptable.  I could see running out the last day, but halfway through!!  I thought when we stopped in the major port of Oslo, they might be able to procure enough for the last 2 days.  Nope.

i realize this may not be a huge deal to some, but for others, it’s equivalent to running out of champagne with 5 days to go. I’m not aware of any worldwide shortage of diet soda, so I’m ascribing it to poor planning. 

Of course, it didn’t ruin my cruise, but I found it surprising and disappointing. 

We are on the following sailing of the Moon and they had run out of Coke Zero by day 4! Day 5 now, with a port-intensive itinerary, we are certainly hoping it will reappear. 

I am an optimist and trying to maintain a positive attitude and have a great time, but this cruise (bar the friendliness of crew) is not what we were accustomed to with Crystal and Regent. I doubt we will be back. 

Edited by mcshane
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:54 PM, Rothko1 said:

You might enjoy Gary Bembridge’s Tips for Travellers YouTube video and podcast explaining the different categories - very informative! 

I've sailed Oceania  Seabourn and Silversea.   So far, Oceania has my vote for the best food, but by a slight margin.   I've also sailed Azamara, and that food was very, very good.   It is very subjective.  We are not Champagne and Caviar people.  Excelled bread, meats cooked well, and interesting salads and vegetables.  We ate at the Keller restaurant on Seabourn, and it was fine.  Nothing super spectacular.  I enjoyed the no charge Jaques Pepin restaurant more on Oceania. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1