holding out hope for some money on our June cruise

Riley_Mon

After reading about people getting a FCC of 50% from May cruises on the Crown, to be honest I was expecting something from Princess on ours.

The June 18 cruise, while not horrible, did not go to Icy Point (they didn't even try) and was late for Juneau resulting in all shore excursions canceled. Reading the "we failed to live up to the standards Princess sets for cruises" in earlier remarks for the May cruises, I thought surely our cruise would fit that category as well.

But we are in mid July, almost a month past and no communication.

From the little exposure I had to people on board, I know that everyone I came in contact with was upset with the sailing schedule, so I would assume that was reflected in the survey.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I would do with an FCC, I don't really plan on cruising at the moment, this experience was so frustrating in combination with travel and covid that I don't think cruising is worth it at the moment, but I'd like at least some admission on Princess' part they screwed up my bucket list Alaska vacation.

14 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

After reading about people getting a FCC of 50% from May cruises on the Crown, to be honest I was expecting something from Princess on ours.

The June 18 cruise, while not horrible, did not go to Icy Point (they didn't even try) and was late for Juneau resulting in all shore excursions canceled. Reading the "we failed to live up to the standards Princess sets for cruises" in earlier remarks for the May cruises, I thought surely our cruise would fit that category as well.

From the little exposure I had to people on board, I know that everyone I came in contact with was upset with the sailing schedule, so I would assume that was reflected in the survey.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I would do with an FCC, I don't really plan on cruising at the moment, this experience was so frustrating in combination with travel and covid that I don't think cruising is worth it at the moment, but I'd like at least some admission on Princess' part they screwed up my bucket list Alaska vacation.

Have you called them and asked? I know calling Princess these days is a super daunting task, but it's always said that "them that asks, gets."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

It's not clear to me why you're holding out hope of an FCC if you don't plan to cruise again. Didn't you get some sort of announcement / explaination/apology when you were onboard?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

Even when you email guest relations or any of the execs, it takes weeks/months to get a reply, IF you get a reply. It appears as if they are simply overwhelmed.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's not clear to me why you're holding out hope of an FCC if you don't plan to cruise again. Didn't you get some sort of announcement / explaination/apology when you were onboard?

FCC wouldn't be my first choice , its the only realistic expectation in this situation.

39 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Have you called them and asked? I know calling Princess these days is a super daunting task, but it's always said that "them that asks, gets."

I filled out the surveys. If anyone pays attention to them, they'd be reaching out to me

37 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

I filled out the surveys. If anyone pays attention to them, they'd be reaching out to me

I wish you well with that, but I very much doubt you'll be hearing from anybody. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jwattle said:

Did they give you onboard credit whilst on the cruise?

24 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

yes I think it was $200 in total

That's not a lot is it ? 

It sounds as if your cruise was ruined, and you were left to be so disappointed and saddened after it was over.

jwattle was correct to ask about OBC, and what you were given was not enough. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't say ruined. There was certainly enjoyable aspects to the cruise. 

but I would say that the way it was handled, it was essentially a bait and switch.  We paid for a specific cruise and got something different. Its been rehashed multiple times in other threads on here.

However, Princess admitted as much for earlier cruises in May who they offered 50% FCC, and our cruise was the exact same in terms of missed ports, reduced times as theirs.

Edited by Riley_Mon

@Riley_Mon I can only speak from my experience and what I did and what we were offered for our May 7th Crown cruise.  I filled out the post cruise survey, contacted guest relations and customer solutions as well as e-mailing the executives.  Some of this was on the advice of CC posters as well as Princess guest relation representatives post cruise.  Chats were quicker, phone calls led to 2-3 hour wait times, my main frustration and I saved the emails and chat transcripts, were Princess reps giving me a date in which I would be contacted by someone with the authority to grant or deny my request and  each time came and went without contact.  I did not appreciate that, I realize they are busy but if they say 7-10 days or within 24-48 hours and not follow through with that then that's just dishonest or bad business.  I finally got a response when I went through the Better Buisness Bureau, although Princess is not accredited with the BBB they do respond to them and have several complaints filed against them.

My advice just be professional and clear with what you are requesting and why.  I acknowledged clearly my satisfaction with the crew and the good parts of our trip as well as the disappointment and why I felt a 50% FCC was fair considering the circumstances. In the end Princess agreed. Our timeline was June 21st Customer Relations called me and notified us of the increase to a 50% FCCpp and we received our refund for cancelled excursions and OBC on July 11th.  

22 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

Sorry to hear about your dream Alaska trip being disrupted.  I recommend adding a "do-it-yourself" Alaska trip in the future.  We just got back from 2 weeks of traveling around the state and it was awesome.  We stayed a few nights in Talkeetna, Hatcher's Pass, Anchorage, Girdwood, and Seward.  Good luck!!

20 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Sorry to hear about your dream Alaska trip being disrupted.  I recommend adding a "do-it-yourself" Alaska trip in the future.  We just got back from 2 weeks of traveling around the state and it was awesome.  We stayed a few nights in Talkeetna, Hatcher's Pass, Anchorage, Girdwood, and Seward.  Good luck!!

yep, I'm actually considering something similar.  I know a couple of people that went there last year, hopping on small planes to go from destination to destination. They loved it.  I think we are considering an extended vacation in Alberta/Banff next year but I would definitely like another shot at Alaska without being at the mercy of a cruise ship. Our shore excursion guide drove from Colorado to Skagway and I've thought about that several times over the last couple of weeks. We've also talked to people that took the ferry out of Seattle. I would also probably plan on not being in the direct path of people leaving a cruise ship on the locations I chose.

Maybe in a couple of years.

Edited by Riley_Mon

44 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

@Riley_Mon I can only speak from my experience and what I did and what we were offered for our May 7th Crown cruise.  I filled out the post cruise survey, contacted guest relations and customer solutions as well as e-mailing the executives.  Some of this was on the advice of CC posters as well as Princess guest relation representatives post cruise.  Chats were quicker, phone calls led to 2-3 hour wait times, my main frustration and I saved the emails and chat transcripts, were Princess reps giving me a date in which I would be contacted by someone with the authority to grant or deny my request and  each time came and went without contact.  I did not appreciate that, I realize they are busy but if they say 7-10 days or within 24-48 hours and not follow through with that then that's just dishonest or bad business.  I finally got a response when I went through the Better Buisness Bureau, although Princess is not accredited with the BBB they do respond to them and have several complaints filed against them.

My advice just be professional and clear with what you are requesting and why.  I acknowledged clearly my satisfaction with the crew and the good parts of our trip as well as the disappointment and why I felt a 50% FCC was fair considering the circumstances. In the end Princess agreed. Our timeline was June 21st Customer Relations called me and notified us of the increase to a 50% FCCpp and we received our refund for cancelled excursions and OBC on July 11th.  

I appreciate the info.

The May 7th people had a much worse cruise than any of the following cruises so I can see a different level of expectation with those, but as I understand it, the latter cruises in May, which were the same as ours, no Icy Point, late to Juneau were offered as well. Based on threads here,  a 50% FCC unprompted.

Maybe I'll be motivated to call them next week, I'm just still in a frame of mind that I shouldn't have to initiate this discussion.

Edited by Riley_Mon

1 minute ago, Riley_Mon said:

yep, I'm actually considering something similar.  I know a couple of people that went there last year, hopping on small planes to go from destination to destination. They loved it.  I think we are considering an extended vacation in Alberta/Banff next year but I would definitely like another shot at Alaska without being at the mercy of a cruise ship. Our shore excursion guide drove from Colorado to Skagway and I've thought about that several times over the last couple of weeks. We've also talked to people that took the ferry out of Seattle. Maybe in a couple of years.

Years ago we drove from Montana to Anchorage, taking the ALCAN Highway from Dawson Creek BC to Delta Junction in Alaska.  It was an incredible journey.  Just need to do some pretty good pre-travel planning because places to stay are very limited in certain areas.  This last trip though we flew into Anchorage and took a vehicle to all the locations mentioned.  We stayed in a few VRBOs and a few cabins.  The ones in Talkeetna were very nice and reasonable costs.  The ones in Hatcher's Pass were primitive (no running water) but absolutely incredible location and views.  It's worth saving up a few years if necessary and doing the trip.  Best of luck!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Why didn’t you go to Ice Strait

point, without even trying?

Our Captain did not try to get into Key West this spring because it was

blowing Forty Five knots 

they announced ahead of time, about 3 weeks before our cruise that the boat wasn't able to go to Icy Strait due to generator issues, and this was after announcing the boat wouldn't go to Ketchikan and they were substituting Icy Strait about 5 weeks before.