Solarium Bistro? Formal Nights?

Has been a few years. Booked a 9 day Greek Isles on the Odyssey. Day 3 and day 9 (last day) are sea days. Most other days we are in port until 6pm or 7pm except day 8 when we are in Crete only until 3pm. Any idea what the formal nights would be?

We usually do not book specialty restaurants. I see we can book/reserve the Solarium Bistro for dinner. In the past I remember eating in the Solarium but don’t remember reserving it. How is it compared to the main dining room? We have my time dining so this would give us the option of a specific time on 1-2 days if it is worth it. Thanks

Every dinner in the Solarium has been disappointing. Royal has never learned how to prepare food and hold it at the solarium buffet. The food is always held too long, completely dried out. Inedible. On our most recent Wonder of the Seas cruise this year, the rice under the Asian fish was crunchy because it was sooooo dried out.  We always say “never again”, break our rule, and end up back in the Windjammer. 

1 hour ago, martyap said:

Has been a few years. Booked a 9 day Greek Isles on the Odyssey. Day 3 and day 9 (last day) are sea days. Most other days we are in port until 6pm or 7pm except day 8 when we are in Crete only until 3pm. Any idea what the formal nights would be?

We usually do not book specialty restaurants. I see we can book/reserve the Solarium Bistro for dinner. In the past I remember eating in the Solarium but don’t remember reserving it. How is it compared to the main dining room? We have my time dining so this would give us the option of a specific time on 1-2 days if it is worth it. Thanks

It’s a scaled down Windjammer- food plated already in small portions. No longer a separate main course cooked to order option.
Go back as many times as you want. Baclava was delicious as was tahini/pita bread. I do not recall seeing the moussaka. 

Recently returned from Odyssey and SB was empty. It’s pretty soulless but quiet: I don’t think people realise you can eat there at night.
It certainly didn’t have the wow factor of the SB on Wonder or Symphony  

Edited by little britain

At dinner, I have been more impressed with the appetizers & desserts than the mains, but I still find myself going back because they are just that good. I also enjoy the quieter atmosphere at night.

Also, while you can make reservations, they will let you eat there without them if they have tables available. There are almost always plenty. 

1 hour ago, dianajo67 said:

Formal Nights are Days 3 and 8 on the 9 Night Odyssey.  We’re going to be on the 19 September Cruise.  I had already researched!

I plan on doing a Greek Isles cruise 2024-2025. Planning on September, sounds like the best month to go from my research. September 19th is perfect, good weather, kids are in school, slightly less crowds.