Cancellation questions

catdoc

My husband and I are booked on an Alaska cruise leaving on July 27th. We were really looking forward to it but have been in a car wreck. We were t-boned in an intersection, totalled our car and have some injuries. We will be ok with time but can't travel. 

Carnival customer service is closed until Monday so I can't call until then. We do have Carnival's travel insurance. Do you know if we can just move to another sail date, or do we need to cancel and re-book? We booked the trip with one of those amazing rates with onboard credit. I know we would lose the rate but do we get to keep the credit? I would appreciate any info you have. 

This was a retirement trip for my husband and we had everything ready to go, excursions booked, airline tickets, pre-cruise hotel, everything. We are so very disappointed but happy to be alive.

• Like 1

I’m very sorry to hear about your accident and that you have to cancel your cruise.  You can cancel your cruise on-line, but then you’ll need to initiate a claim against your Carnival insurance.  Taxes and port fees, prepaid tips, and other pre-purchased items will be automatically refunded.  The travel insurance should cover your cruise fare, and unfortunately you will lose your OBC.  I believe you need to wait till Carnival’s customer service line opens to get information about how to start the insurance claim.

So very sorry about your accident and applaud your spirit and ability to see the bright side of eventual full recovery.  Cars and cruises can and will be replaced.  Do note that all your damages are the financial responsibility of the responsible driver.  From what you describe, it sounds like the other guy.  Please consider contacting an attorney.  That doesn't make you out to be some kind of ambulance chaser.  It just serves to protect your interests.  Good luck. 

Totally agree that your best bet is a Monday phone call.  The whole issue about OBC depends on how it originated.  If it was a perk pursuant to booking this cruise as part of a rate package (as it sounds to be in this case), then yes it's gone.  If this was a carryover of the $300 or $600 from a previously cancelled pandemic cruise they will gladly move it over to a new cruise for you.

• Like 2

We had to cancel a cruise with OBC in May due to a death in the family.  Our PVP told us to file a claim for the assessed penalties with AON and send a copy of the approval when it came.  Fortunately, it only took one month to get our refund approved.  Emailed the copy of the approval letter to our PVP and he responded back that to OBC has been approved and applied to our next cruise.  I assume having the AON insurance approval saves Carnival the trouble having to investigate that it's a valid reason for a cancellation and verify all the documentation themself.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody. I did talk to Carnival and have started the process of reimbursement with AON. They don't reschedule cruises anymore, that was a Covid thing. The agent said that she was making notes and there is a possibility we could get our onboard credit transferred. It's worth a try.

We are looking forward to healing and cruising again!  I'm starting to plan. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, jsglow said:

So very sorry about your accident and applaud your spirit and ability to see the bright side of eventual full recovery.  Cars and cruises can and will be replaced.  Do note that all your damages are the financial responsibility of the responsible driver.  From what you describe, it sounds like the other guy.  Please consider contacting an attorney.  That doesn't make you out to be some kind of ambulance chaser.  It just serves to protect your interests.  Good luck. 

Totally agree that your best bet is a Monday phone call.  The whole issue about OBC depends on how it originated.  If it was a perk pursuant to booking this cruise as part of a rate package (as it sounds to be in this case), then yes it's gone.  If this was a carryover of the $300 or $600 from a previously cancelled pandemic cruise they will gladly move it over to a new cruise for you.

Thanks for the advice. We do have a lawyer because it happened out of state at a doctor's appointment visit and our bills are very high. But the driver who hit us barely had any insurance so it's not looking great. But it will be ok.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 6:04 PM, catdoc said:

My husband and I are booked on an Alaska cruise leaving on July 27th. We were really looking forward to it but have been in a car wreck. We were t-boned in an intersection, totalled our car and have some injuries. We will be ok with time but can't travel. 

Carnival customer service is closed until Monday so I can't call until then. We do have Carnival's travel insurance. Do you know if we can just move to another sail date, or do we need to cancel and re-book? We booked the trip with one of those amazing rates with onboard credit. I know we would lose the rate but do we get to keep the credit? I would appreciate any info you have. 

This was a retirement trip for my husband and we had everything ready to go, excursions booked, airline tickets, pre-cruise hotel, everything. We are so very disappointed but happy to be alive.

The person who T boned you can pay you as part of the settlement for a better cruise on Princess. Glad you are doing well. I would ask to be compensated by the party who T bones you for a new trip as part of the settlement 

On 7/18/2022 at 7:54 PM, catdoc said:

Thanks for the advice. We do have a lawyer because it happened out of state at a doctor's appointment visit and our bills are very high. But the driver who hit us barely had any insurance so it's not looking great. But it will be ok.

You should be able to file under your own policy's uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (if your policy has this) after the other party's insurance is exhausted.

• Like 2