NCL Epic closing spice H20 and the sports deck

Got the same letter from NCL. Joining the Epic in Rome on the 16th. Just got confirmation that the ship will be sailing at full capacity. Also, it is true that Spice, and the other areas, are already closed and they are not informing prospective passengers of the issue. Dishonest, at the very least. Aside from the loss of the Spice area for adult relaxation and night time entertainment, Covid has not gone away, and a ship packed with over 4,000 passengers, with reduced outdoor space? Would not have booked if I had known. $50 compensation is a joke. Should have booked Costa for the same dates.

• Like 2

Hello! I'm sailing on the Epic from Barcelona on August 21 and have been watching the reviews closely. While I have not yet received an email from NCL that the Spice H2O deck will be closed, I do see that they recently credited me $50 onboard spending so it probably will be. I'm travelling with my adult daughter who works with kids all day long and while she loves them, she was really looking for a place without them for a few hours each day. $50 for the stateroom really doesn't make up for it especially since we already pre-booked our excursions and settled other expenses. I'll be sure to write a review when I get back and hope it's a positive one!

2 minutes ago, CandyRose2 said:

my adult daughter who works with kids all day long and while she loves them, she was really looking for a place without them for a few hours each day.

Could she get a pass for Posh (similar to Vibe on other ships) so that she has an adult only space? I don't know if you can prebook it like you now can do for Vibe or if it's a rush to guest services, but hopefully you can find out, so she can enjoy some kidless time!

On 7/19/2022 at 6:02 PM, Cruise-mom said:

Spice has been closed for a few weeks now, I am following a few groups on SM. We are sailing July 31st and received this letter a couple of weeks ago. I am not particularly happy that it's closed but I'm not mad or upset, I'm just happy to be cruising.

I think the glow party etc is on the pool deck now. They have a sign at Spice H2o advising that one side of deck 18 FWD sundeck is 18+.

Was wondering with H2o shut do NCL open the Pool Bar for longer for evening drinks outside ?

We are on Epic in September celebrating a Guinness drinker's 60th Birthday, we were advised by NCL on a chat, before booking, that Epic should have Guinness, but we want to be sure. 

If anyone on Epic in the next few weeks could check a few drinks menu for me that would be amazing, we thought the Irish Bar, O'Sheenaghs should hopefully have Guinness.

Thank you, hope you all have a fabulous cruise.

On 7/19/2022 at 2:55 AM, grillysgillies said:

I just received the following from NCL. This is for sailing out the 14th August. Just be aware if you are booking anything for this time to check as losing SPICE H20 is a big think if you like outdoor space to relax etc. There is now where else on the EPIC apart from the main pool. Also this is Adults only. Also they have the main parties out here at night. Glow, the white hot part etc. All will I guess be in the BLISS. Finally with the loss of that space there will be a rush on to find sunbeds. Why NCL have to do this is August in baffling. Also offering $50 per state room is an insult. 

It has been some time since I have been on the EPICS.  However there was always that top deck above the buffet.  Only one of the outdoor elevator goes up there from the main deck and on set of stairs.  It is quit up there. 

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Could she get a pass for Posh (similar to Vibe on other ships) so that she has an adult only space? I don't know if you can prebook it like you now can do for Vibe or if it's a rush to guest services, but hopefully you can find out, so she can enjoy some kidless time!

Thank you! I'll check out Posh. We're very excited to get away soon!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:56 PM, ColaPepsi said:

We are on Epic in September celebrating a Guinness drinker's 60th Birthday, we were advised by NCL on a chat, before booking, that Epic should have Guinness, but we want to be sure. 

If anyone on Epic in the next few weeks could check a few drinks menu for me that would be amazing, we thought the Irish Bar, O'Sheenaghs should hopefully have Guinness.

If you get a response to this please let me know, we're sailing on the 25th Sept and my Dad will be over the moon if they have Guinness..

On 8/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, BenandJess said:

Just had the email to tell me it’s closed for our sailing on September 25th, must be a decent sized job they have to do!

I sail right after you so it may still be closed 🥲

I was on the epic 7th Aug for a week.

I didnt see them doing anything to rectify the problem with the H20 and spice area.

I believe the issue is soot from the funnels, falling on customers - but cant confirm.

Given that no apparent work seems to be being done - this may continue for sometime.

As a result of the closure - the pool bar is very busy - they do try and do a pop up bar to ease - but for us the $50 OBC was a joke - has the impact was of such that the pool area is very busy.

Hi all,

Just back from my cruise on Epic. It certainly looks like H20 Spice, and the sports area, are as thedriver23 suggests, closed because of issues with the funnel scrubbers. Imagine they will have to wait to shut the engines down to deal with it.

Did it affect my cruise? No! Had a great time on the Epic. They provided an alternative in the quiet lounge area, up on 18, with a bar and all. We preferred to stay around the pool deck bar where all the fun was. It was busy, at times,  but we tipped a couple of the bar staff early on and had no problems getting served.

Have to say, NCL Epic staff and service were fantastic. The Freestyle at sea meant you could eat at anytime of the day, or night, and the selection and quality of food was really very good. Shows and entertainment top class. 

To those of you waiting to sail on the Epic, I would humbly suggest that the H20 being closed will have very little impact on your cruise. Hands up, I moaned about it before sailing, and I moaned about it for about 10 minutes after embarkation. A couple of beers at the pool deck bar, with some great company, never gave it another thought.

Epic is still a great ship. Enjoy the cruise

Harry

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 10:56 PM, ColaPepsi said:

Sorry, could not find any Guinness on board, just about every kind of larger.

51 minutes ago, ColaPepsi said:

Thank you for looking, we were hoping the Irish Bar,  O'Sheehans, would have Guinness, draft or cans being an Irish drink.

Don't be fooled by the name. On newer NCL ships it is called The Local. Most of the bars on the ship carry much the same range, in keeping with the drinks package.  O'Sheehans real claim to fame is that it is open 24/7 for food and drink. Great spot.

4 hours ago, hallux said:

To be fair - the description on the website for this venue specifically calls out "reinvented Irish pub classics".

Don't get me wrong, it certainly looks and feels like an Irish Pub, and the food is gastro pub style. The drinks menu, however, is basically the same one you will find at the other bars. Makes sense. They are catering to the tastes of over 4000 cruisers, from many nationalities. Very few Irish on board. Heard the odd familiar accent, did not meet any fellow Irish. Can't imagine a huge amount of demand for Guinness, particularly in 32c heat. Ice cold bottles of larger and long cool cocktails seemed to be the order of the day. 

• Like 1