Octantis - Cabins 3000 and 3001and The Shelter and Explorers Lounge

amyr

Hi all, 

A friend is considering joining us on our Octantis voyage, and the only cabins left are 3000 and 3001.  She was worried about possible noise from the Explorer's Lounge above, but I think The Shelter may provide more of a problem in those cabins?  In the deck plan and the photo I found, there's clearly a door from the corridor out to The Shelter that may well be on the same wall as the cabins.  We were on Star's maiden voyage, and I distinctly remember the folks in similar cabins up on Deck 8 were beside themselves with the door slamming and their beds shaking each time.  I assume Viking fixed that since you don't really hear about it anymore, but it looks like it could be the same situation on Octantis?

I guess I'm just asking if anyone here has been in one of those cabins and if it was a problem, and also if anyone in that general hall area was bother by the Explorer's Lounge above.  

image.thumb.png.8f23bb7d4605890675fceab71e58427c.pngimage.thumb.png.d47824326f01b603845c60cc323a8a5b.png

Thanks Peregrina!  I know about the Vikings Expedition thread, and have posted in it myself a time or two, but it was a time sensitive issue (only two cabins left!) and I was hoping a title thread would get more eyes since more people follow the forum than just the Expeditions thread.  Long shot either way since the ship is so new.  

She ended up grabbing 3042 which became open later in the day, but that may present its own set of problems with it being the last in the hallway with what looks like a very closely adjacent elevator.  She will just continue to monitor in the hopes something else will open up as people cancel.  

• 1 year later...

I'm in the vicinity of one of those cabins on an upcoming sailing, and I don't see an issue (noise wise), with it. The nice about being so far up front is that it's quick to jump on the front deck and get like a 270 degree viewing of wherever you're at.

• Like 1

Oh gosh, I realize I never reported back on my friend's cabin, 3042, adjacent to the little store.  It was a fine location, right by the lifts, and the store wasn't open early or late, so it was like she had no neighbor at all on that side.  We were on the other hall a few cabins forward of the lifts and liked the location.  It was equidistant to The Shelter on the bow and the Aula at the aft, both reachable through doors without having to negotiate stairs or lifts at all.  We really really enjoyed Deck 3.

So you didn't have noise or vibration in 3000 from the doors banging on the bulkhead at all?  That's good to know.  One time when we went through it was windy and the door got away from us and closed HARD.  My friend was very glad she wasn't in that room.  I think it was 3001.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, janetcbl said:

We were on the third deck and I found it to be a perfect location. Easy to get to the upper part of the Aula, the Shelter and the Explorer’s Lounge. Nothing is far away on the ship.

In 3020 presently. Perfect location for everything.

• 4 weeks later...

We had room 3001 when we went to Antarctica.  I don't believe that the public spaces will  cause any issues with noise.  There is a crew entry door nest to each cabin. 

When we were onboard they were prepping Octantis for dry dock and there was traffic starting at 6 AM.  We spoke to guest services and by the afternoon the issue was resolved and virtually the entire guest services team knew of the issue,  The mark of a great cruise line is how they handle problems and Viking did a great job,  I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjdenn said:

We had room 3001 when we went to Antarctica.  I don't believe that the public spaces will  cause any issues with noise.  There is a crew entry door nest to each cabin. 

When we were onboard they were prepping Octantis for dry dock and there was traffic starting at 6 AM.  We spoke to guest services and by the afternoon the issue was resolved and virtually the entire guest services team knew of the issue,  The mark of a great cruise line is how they handle problems and Viking did a great job,  I wouldn't worry.

thank you for your input on cabins 3000 and 3001. When did the Octantis go into dry dock? Do you know what they were supposed to work on during dry dock. I was hoping they would install stair rails on the Aula, as they have on the Polaris. We board the ship in 16 days and counting!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info on cabin 3042.  I was more worried about the elevator noise than the shop with limited hours.  I'm thinking about choosing that for our Antarctica sailing vs 3020 just to be closer to midship but I don't know if there will be much difference in movement to justify the extra category cost.

• 1 month later...

The only issue we had with Cabin 3000 on the Octantis was the noise and vibration from the bow thrusters. We were not disturbed by noise of people going to the bow. Of course, being so far forward, you certainly feel the ship's movement more, especially yaw.