Silversea vs. Seabourn

MHF

Seabourn Odyssey has a decent solo special to Alaska in mid-September, 14 days (2 B2B 7 days really) with 2 days (I hope) in Glacier Bay.  I was on the Shadow in Alaska in 2010 so looking forward to going back.  If Ss had Glacier Bay permits, I would have done that but they don't.  

Any must do (or don't do) on Sb for those who have sailed Sb and Ss?  Hints?  I have 1 night at Thomas Keller Grill booked.  Veranda guaranty room.

Back on Ss Dawn in January 23 and Ss Spirit in October 23.  My Ss Cloud experience in May was not great so hoping for better service next year.

Missy in Maryland, recovering from mild Covid case because I stupidly went to a convention with no mask

8 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Do you like caviar?  They won't tell you, but you can order caviar (complimentary) every night if you like, e.g., to your suite or elsewhere, or in the restaurants.

Not quite true.  Our butler suggested it many times and our favourite server at the Grill provided it without request many times.  It doesn't require a secret handshake!  😁

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mysty said:

Not quite true.  Our butler suggested it many times and our favourite server at the Grill provided it without request many times.  It doesn't require a secret handshake!  😁

I think she/he is asking about Odyssey (though posting in the SS forum), this coming September. 

You had a butler on SB?  We did not.  I thought there aren't any, but maybe it was in the highest level suite you were in? 

In the base cabin, on Odyssey,  and also in the PH (pre-Covid), no one suggested caviar to us.  I found out about its availability a few years later -- on CC! (Thank you CC!). 

There are no butlers on Seabourn no matter what grade cabin you have. Either consult with Seabourn Square staff - there are usually 4 of them on duty all day and more reachable by phone - about administrative matters such as tours and special requests or for routine cabin matters the 2 cabin attendants. The fallback is always Seabourn Square itself.

About caviar on Seabourn, well, those Caviar in the Surf on beaches and the Caviar by the Pool events are widely known, and are on most all warm weather cruises. Sometimes though they might be held on deck 6 front, a large open area with seating and jacuzzi. It should be noted that Silversea ships have no similar deck space. So it goes without saying that you can ask for caviar anytime on Seabourn and get it quickly. We like it by the Sky Bar (deck above pool/no equivalent on Silversea ships) in the late afternoon when they might not be a Sailaway Party accompanied by Champagne.

In my opinion, the entertainment and "fun' aspect of cruising for social enjoyment and encouraging passengers to mix is far better on Seabourn than Silversea. Smoking areas are more extensive on Silversea, taking up about half the pool area- on one side. But bear in mind that Silversea passengers apparently like things just the way they are; they are a very loyal and sedate and maybe older cohort and/or Silversea is hopefully canny enough to make changes in time to keep their demographic happy.

Another side note: the Seabourn ships are all very similar, actually 2 modern types plus the new expedition ships. The Silversea ships vary from very old and new, plus expedition, some very old and new. They are very different; we much prefer the 3 in the Muse class. Why? It's mainly the choice of restaurants, the vast outdoor spaces such as the top deck track, their large true swimming pools, and the very modern clean feel. The others are rather disappointingly less attractive and less well appointed- so you gotta know what you're getting upfront, and then enjoy the ride. I also hasten to add that we find the food on Silversea superior across the board, but not a game changer when you throw in pricing (the new DTD is poorly thought out and poor value), social vibe/life, itinerary, the unique Seabourn Marina days etc.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Do you like caviar?  They won't tell you, but you can order caviar (complimentary) every night if you like, e.g., to your suite or elsewhere, or in the restaurants.

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I think she/he is asking about Odyssey (though posting in the SS forum), this coming September. 

You had a butler on SB?  We did not.  I thought there aren't any, but maybe it was in the highest level suite you were in? 

In the base cabin, on Odyssey,  and also in the PH (pre-Covid), no one suggested caviar to us.  I found out about its availability a few years later -- on CC! (Thank you CC!). 

My mistake!  I thought you were talking about Silversea.  Mea Culpa!

Would you prefer a Rolls Royce or a Bentley?

Never sailed on SB, so I really can't give opinions on that line.  But it seems to me that you are really looking at the little differences between the lines that might be best for you.  Don't get me wrong, those little things can be the difference between a good cruise and a great cruise.

But I think that overall you will be happy with either line.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, markham said:

There are no butlers on Seabourn no matter what grade cabin you have. Either consult with Seabourn Square staff - there are usually 4 of them on duty all day and more reachable by phone - about administrative matters such as tours and special requests or for routine cabin matters the 2 cabin attendants. The fallback is always Seabourn Square itself.

About caviar on Seabourn, well, those Caviar in the Surf on beaches and the Caviar by the Pool events are widely known, and are on most all warm weather cruises. Sometimes though they might be held on deck 6 front, a large open area with seating and jacuzzi. It should be noted that Silversea ships have no similar deck space. So it goes without saying that you can ask for caviar anytime on Seabourn and get it quickly. We like it by the Sky Bar (deck above pool/no equivalent on Silversea ships) in the late afternoon when they might not be a Sailaway Party accompanied by Champagne.

In my opinion, the entertainment and "fun' aspect of cruising for social enjoyment and encouraging passengers to mix is far better on Seabourn than Silversea. Smoking areas are more extensive on Silversea, taking up about half the pool area- on one side. But bear in mind that Silversea passengers apparently like things just the way they are; they are a very loyal and sedate and maybe older cohort and/or Silversea is hopefully canny enough to make changes in time to keep their demographic happy.

Another side note: the Seabourn ships are all very similar, actually 2 modern types plus the new expedition ships. The Silversea ships vary from very old and new, plus expedition, some very old and new. They are very different; we much prefer the 3 in the Muse class. Why? It's mainly the choice of restaurants, the vast outdoor spaces such as the top deck track, their large true swimming pools, and the very modern clean feel. The others are rather disappointingly less attractive and less well appointed- so you gotta know what you're getting upfront, and then enjoy the ride. I also hasten to add that we find the food on Silversea superior across the board, but not a game changer when you throw in pricing (the new DTD is poorly thought out and poor value), social vibe/life, itinerary, the unique Seabourn Marina days etc.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I totally agree with this assessment