Alaska Land Tour

babs135

Best before or after the cruise?  I've just done a search and I got the impression that with Covid still prevalent we'd be better doing it after the cruise to avoid testing positive and being denied boarding. What  would be the choice in a pre-Covid world?  If it makes any difference we would be flying in from the UK.

Pre-Covid it was recommended to do the land portion first as it can be more energetic/hectic, then relax on the cruise portion.  But with increasing reports of people testing positive, I would do the cruise first.  EM

Before COVID I believe the prevailing wisdom was to do the land tour first followed by the cruise. The reasoning was that the land tour can, at times, be a little hectic with alternating travel and then days at a lodge. We just did that this May and found it to be a good way to go.

That said, our group was tested upon arrival at the last lodge before ship embarkation. One person test positive (spouse was negative) and off they went to Anchorage for quarantine while missing their cruise. We kept in touch and it turns out they did their five days and then hired a rental car for a spur-of-the-moment driving trip which they enjoyed.

Subsequently, it is my understanding that Princess started testing land tour groups at the beginning of their tours so I'm not sure which option is better. Someone testing positive after a cruise would then miss the land tour.

I suppose one has to balance which part of the journey they feel is more important to them.

I took a COVID test 72 hours prior to getting on the ship.  I did not take another COVID test after cruise and before, during or after the land portion.  Agree with others, land portion is hectic, but going south to north, the views get better each day.

We did the land cruise first last month. Tested at last lodge and good to go. It is very busy going lodge to lodge, so it was soooo relaxing to be in one place when we then went on cruise. Hopefully, next year Covid won’t be such a problem. Look how much it has changed since last summer!