The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

This morning, some previously unknown atmospheric force has occurred, making outside viewing much brighter and clearer than previously known, also changing the color of the sky.  (actually, a sunny clear day is welcome, but the cold, foggy misty days provide their own kind of austere beauty & mystery it seems to me. Some of both would be ideal)

DCD553BE-89E7-4420-A65A-E0FA0ED0D3BC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Alaska is amazing, IMO only second to Antartica.  

I was just saying the same thing, I don’t think I’ve ever met a Seabourner who didn’t think Antarctica was the all-time winner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Seabourner who didn’t think Antarctica was the all-time winner.

Which is not remotely a negative judgment about Alaska, of course.  It’s  just utterly spectacular.

Reminds me of the (surely apocryphal) story about the French judge, 100 years ago, who was tasked with the case of deciding which red wines were better, those of Bordeaux or Burgundy.  After a remarkably long deliberation, he assembled those concerned to announce his decision…..which was that he would need many more years to evaluate the evidence.  😉🍷

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

a jet-boat tour of the wilderness outside of Prince Rupert, BC.  Wonderful old-growth forest with 600-year-old trees and moss, ferns, and lichens.  Particularly liked the mixed marriage between 100-year-old cedar and hemlock tree.

2DC9082E-82BF-47C2-B2CD-BE8769217856.jpeg

10F3DE62-8343-444E-A013-A58171731827.jpeg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

What is the charge for the meal? 

Can you see the menu early in the cruise and have time to sign up for it?

Yes, it was on the extravagant side, both in menu and price ($135 p/p). But hey,  a little extravagance here and there can be good for the soul, right?  🤩

Obvs Seabourn has almost completely transitioned away from the printed daily Herald, in favor of everything being on the Source app.  This particular event was listed on the Home page, per below. We were also given a “flyer” for the lunch but I can’t remember where or when it was distributed.

Very rich and tasty, thinking dinner tonight might be…..a small salad & a bowl of soup or something. 🥬

6C21B792-88BE-4559-A1F2-9A68A1E72C6F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Yes, it was on the extravagant side, both in menu and price ($135 p/p). But hey,  a little extravagance here and there can be good for the soul, right?  🤩

Obvs Seabourn has almost completely transitioned away from the printed daily Herald, in favor of everything being on the Source app.  This particular event was listed on the Home page, per below. We were also given a “flyer” for the lunch but I can’t remember where or when it was distributed.

Very rich and tasty, thinking dinner tonight might be…..a small salad & a bowl of soup or something. 🥬

6C21B792-88BE-4559-A1F2-9A68A1E72C6F.jpeg

Yes, I know it's been a long time and times have changed, but I can't remember ever paying for a meal (no matter how opulent) on any of the Seabourn triplets 😞

I think these special sommelier's lunches are fairly new, and probably not offered on every cruise.  Otherwise all food on board is included.

This sort of event happens on one or two other lines, so I  suppose   Seabourn must have thought it was a good idea, to 'keep up with the Jones's'.   It did sound as if it was a super event, but surely much more suited to a dinner than a lunch.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

This sort of event happens on one or two other lines, so I  suppose   Seabourn must have thought it was a good idea, to 'keep up with the Jones's'.   It did sound as if it was a super event, but surely much more suited to a dinner than a lunch.

More like keeping up with the HAL's.  We did a Somalier's Dinner in 2015 on the old Statendam with my brother and sister-in-law, and it was most excellent.  Great pairing with food.  So these ave been around for a long time.  The Somalier was terrific, Jacques St Pierre from Mauritius.  That I still know that says something because I am really bad at remembering names!  Doing this at lunchtime, however...  don't count on doing anything the rest of the day...  😁

Big thanks to shark b8 for the excellent blog, pictures and videos.  We sail this cruise in August and it has been really terrific seeing what is coming up.

• Like 2