What is meant by "telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test "?

We recently used OnPoint testing before a Disney cruise.  We used the government tests and had no problems using the results provided by OnPoint.  I am confused by Holland America's statement that the telehealth service must be affiliated with the manufacturer of the test.  Anyone have insight into this?  Is this really enforced?

• Like 1

FWIW, I used OnPoint for my cruise last week. Tested on the 15th. I took screenshots of my negative and uploaded them tie Verifly, and had no issues. 

No one asked to see the results at the port, just verified I was green in verifly. So I can’t speak to is HAL would have had an issue. But verifly did not, and HAL trusted verifly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenofEverything said:

We recently used OnPoint testing before a Disney cruise.  We used the government tests and had no problems using the results provided by OnPoint.  I am confused by Holland America's statement that the telehealth service must be affiliated with the manufacturer of the test.  Anyone have insight into this?  Is this really enforced?

I’m interested in an accurate answer to this as well. 

See my post in the other thread about tele-health testing. We bought BinaxNow Ag tests, which are administered/proctored by eMed, which is affiliated with BinaxNow (Abbott Labs). No one else can/will proctor a BinaxNow test. This is what HAL means. We used these tests on Oceania, and with airlines.

I think where there COULD be a problem is by using the telehealth services popping up around the country that will agree to monitor any self test, including the U.S. government-issued ones.  The true self-tests (not purchased through eMed or other companies recommended by the cruise line whose price does not include telehealth monitoring), or the U.S. government-issued ones are the ones that these telehealth services popping up around the country will agree to monitor.  Apparently, they do watch you open the test, do it, etc., just like the ones that are purchased with telehealth services included in the purchase price.  I believe you're okay IF you use ones purchased that include the telehealth monitoring in the purchase price.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NattilyAttired said:

See my post in the other thread about tele-health testing. We bought BinaxNow Ag tests, which are administered/proctored by eMed, which is affiliated with BinaxNow (Abbott Labs). No one else can/will proctor a BinaxNow test. This is what HAL means. We used these tests on Oceania, and with airlines.

Yes, I did see your post on the other thread.  Can you tell me the cost of testing like you did?

1 minute ago, QueenofEverything said:

Yes, I did see your post on the other thread.  Can you tell me the cost of testing like you did?

We bought our tests in a six-pack for about $170, I think, from Optum (www.store.optum.com). I do not see the six-pack available today. However, they are selling a two pack for $69.99, and a 3-pack for $99.99. These prices include the test kit AND the online proctoring and validation report.

11 minutes ago, NattilyAttired said:

We bought our tests in a six-pack for about $170, I think, from Optum (www.store.optum.com). I do not see the six-pack available today. However, they are selling a two pack for $69.99, and a 3-pack for $99.99. These prices include the test kit AND the online proctoring and validation report.

Thanks for that info

3 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Thanks for that info

This is also on the HAL site under FAQs about testing.

Holland America Line has partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to home. These at-home tests include a telehealth service. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your Optum test kit online here * (2-pack for $69.99 or 3-pack for $99.99). Order your Radeas single pack for $45 here. An eMed 6-pack is available here.

Optum Link https://cruise.emed.com?utm_source=carnival-corporation&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=two&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test

EMed Link for 6-pack https://store.emed.com/s/product/detail/01t8c00000M7G8yAAF?utm_source=website&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=Carnival+6+Pack&utm_id=Carnival+Cruise+Line+-+6+Pack+Link  

Radeas Link https://cruise.radeas.com/

We have used the Optum proctored test kit for two previous cruises with no problems. A 3 pack means only three tests not two in each box. So for two people you need at least2 boxes.

My problem is a bit different. I am currently tested positive for Covid. My doctor tells me that by my scheduled cruise in August I will be negative. I’m not so sure that the antibodies will be gone by then. How does a certificate of recovery work and does this count for HAL and Canada?

5 hours ago, grammi said:

I’m interested in an accurate answer to this as well. 

As I said it the post right above yours, we did OnPoint (with tests from iHealth) and successfully boarded the cruise 10 days ago. First hand experience reported as accurately as I can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

We have used the Optum proctored test kit for two previous cruises with no problems. A 3 pack means only three tests not two in each box. So for two people you need at least2 boxes.

My problem is a bit different. I am currently tested positive for Covid. My doctor tells me that by my scheduled cruise in August I will be negative. I’m not so sure that the antibodies will be gone by then. How does a certificate of recovery work and does this count for HAL and Canada?

That doesn't seem to agree with their website:  2-Pack includes two individually wrapped tests, each test includes a personal virtual visit with an eMed Certified Guide who will help you properly administer the test and verify the result in just 15 minutes.

So if a 2 pack includes 2 tests and 2 virtual visits can you use it for 2 people?

I think it depends on what you order. The one I used yesterday had only one test in the box.
After reading your post, I checked the stack of them that I have, and see that one of the others has 2 separate tests in the box. Both are by Abbot and both are labeled “Binax Now”. The one with 2 tests is clearly marked in the upper right hand corner that proclaims  “2 tests”
Sorry for the confusion. I guess one has to carefully read the description when ordering. I have ordered several a few months ago, and don’t remember when I ordered what! Again, sorry for the misinformation.

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

I think it depends on what you order. The one I used yesterday had only one test in the box.
After reading your post, I checked the stack of them that I have, and see that one of the others has 2 separate tests in the box. Both are by Abbot and both are labeled “Binax Now”. The one with 2 tests is clearly marked in the upper right hand corner that proclaims  “2 tests”
Sorry for the confusion. I guess one has to carefully read the description when ordering. I have ordered several a few months ago, and don’t remember when I ordered what! Again, sorry for the misinformation.

Perhaps the confusion is with the versions ordered.  The Binax Now Ag tests sold online are the eMed proctored version and are one test per box.  They are sold in 2 or 3 packs but that just means you will get 2 or 3 individual sealed boxes.  They come with a big red "DO NOT OPEN Until Instructed" banner on the box.  You don't open the box until your online test proctor instructs you to do so. If you open the box before being told to do so, you invalidate the proctored test and just wasted your money.

There is also a Binax Now version sold in drug stores that are a two-pack  Those tests are not linked to the online proctor and do not have the "DO NOT OPEN..." banner on the box.  Since this version isn't medically supervised, it isn't accepted by the cruise line.  It is simply a home test for your own use.

I believe the Binax Now Ag proctored version are only sold online.

6 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I think where there COULD be a problem is by using the telehealth services popping up around the country that will agree to monitor any self test, including the U.S. government-issued ones.  The true self-tests (not purchased through eMed or other companies recommended by the cruise line whose price does not include telehealth monitoring), or the U.S. government-issued ones are the ones that these telehealth services popping up around the country will agree to monitor.  Apparently, they do watch you open the test, do it, etc., just like the ones that are purchased with telehealth services included in the purchase price.  I believe you're okay IF you use ones purchased that include the telehealth monitoring in the purchase price.

To clarify, yes, they work but so do the others mentioned. 

As noted by several people on the HAL forum with firsthand experience, the US government test used with any of several online proctoring sites is accepted by HAL for cruise testing.  Not just the eMed/Abbot Binax Now (for example)

See post #12 above by @rubytue and quote #5 by @Gray Lady in this link:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

To clarify, yes, they work but so do the others mentioned. 

As noted by several people on the HAL forum with firsthand experience, the US government test used with any of several online proctoring sites is accepted by HAL for cruise testing.  Not just the eMed/Abbot Binax Now (for example)

See post #12 above by @rubytue and quote #5 by @Gray Lady in this link:

Oakridger, Here is the direct quote from the HAL web site.  Regardless of what others have said, here is the rule in writing.  Whether other passengers had the non-affiliated-with-the-manufacturer test results accepted for boarding after being monitored by one of these companies popping up around the country who agree to monitor any self test, per the rules below, that monitoring method does not seem to be a guarantee of acceptance for boarding per the written rules below.

"Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to a at-home test) that meets the following criteria:

• Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted. The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription. 
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of the acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test."

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

As posted on the other thread, I'll try to get a written clarification from HAL.  

I know that I called HAL with this question, and was told that testing sites, such as Total Testing Solutions, On-Point, etc. were acceptable because they were medically affiliated, video proctored, and were able to email you a QR code. These test results have been accepted by HAL for boarding. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Perhaps the confusion is with the versions ordered.  The Binax Now Ag tests sold online are the eMed proctored version and are one test per box.  They are sold in 2 or 3 packs but that just means you will get 2 or 3 individual sealed boxes.  They come with a big red "DO NOT OPEN Until Instructed" banner on the box.  You don't open the box until your online test proctor instructs you to do so. If you open the box before being told to do so, you invalidate the proctored test and just wasted your money.

There is also a Binax Now version sold in drug stores that are a two-pack  Those tests are not linked to the online proctor and do not have the "DO NOT OPEN..." banner on the box.  Since this version isn't medically supervised, it isn't accepted by the cruise line.  It is simply a home test for your own use.

I believe the Binax Now Ag proctored version are only sold online.

AF Navigator is correct. The BinaxNOW Ag tests are the only Binax tests that come with the online proctoring option. These tests come one test per box, not two tests. A three pack will include three separate boxes of one test each. Each test must remain sealed until you are on the internet call with the proctor. You can indeed purchase one three-pack for 2 or 3 different people to use. We bought a six-pack, and used two before departing for our cruise in April, two for the return trip home after post-cruising in Rome, and will use the other two in a month before an Alaska cruise.

I was in the Zaandam July 2-9 and used Azova to proctor an iHealth test (free government mailed test).

Azova provides video proctor and sends a report with QR code. I uploaded the report to Verifly and it was accepted. I received the green check and “ready to sail” badge in Verifly. 

At boarding, the HAL reps were just checking for the check mark and ready to sail on Verifly, they didn’t ask for anything else. Took 30 seconds.

7 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I don't trust anything I'm told by a representative on the telephone.  I go by what's in writing on Holland America's web site.

Well @12cruise2 I got something in writing on the HAL chat and it just restates (sort of...I think??) what you are quoting from the current website.  However, like many "policies" on HAL they are, in practice, consistently inconsistent as reported by several people with firsthand experience here on CC!  If one wants to be absolutely sure and cover yourself, might as well get the eMed or Optum or the other they specifically mention on the website. The chat I copied below left me still wondering  about the inconsistent application of the stated policy. I tried! 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for bringing this issue to light for everyone @12cruise2!

This chat was done about 15 minutes ago.

• [Garrett] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...
  • [Garrett] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line my name is Garrett. How may I assist you?
  • [NANCY XXXXX] I will be cruising to Alaska from Canada. Can I use the US government issued Covid test and have it proctored by any of several online proctoring services?
  • [Garrett] Hello Nancy. Unfortunately the Government issued Covid tests do not meet our requirements as they need to be Medically Observed. The only home test kits that would have Telehealth components so a technician can verify the results. Here is an example of such a test https://store.optum.com/carnival-cruises/ .
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] I would use an online proctoring service such as "Rapid Test and Trace". HAL cruisers have told me they used such and it was accepted by HAL for their cruise. I wanted to get an OK for that also.
  • [Garrett] That site, Rapid Test and Trace, provides a few different types of tests. As long as you purchase ones that have the "Observed Online Session" on them they would be accepted.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Hmmm. I was told that others have used the US government free tests and HAL accepted them with the Rapid Test and Trace monitoring. Are you sure that isn't accepted? If not, I wonder how those people got on their HAL cruises a couple weeks ago.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Canada's ArriveCAN app also accepted them for cruises to Canada.
  • [Garrett] If the test you are referring to has telehealth components than it would be accepted. If not, it would not be, I can only advise of policy, there may have been an exception made at the pier. ArriveCAN does not follow the Cruiseline requirements.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Okay, I appreciate your statement of policy. I guess there are conflicting applications of the policy. That's what I was hoping to clarify with you. I appreciate your help. Thank you
  • [Garrett] You are welcome! Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us again.
  • [Garrett] All Agents have left the conversation

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Well @12cruise2 I got something in writing on the HAL chat and it just restates (sort of...I think??) what you are quoting from the current website.  However, like many "policies" on HAL they are, in practice, consistently inconsistent as reported by several people with firsthand experience here on CC!  If one wants to be absolutely sure and cover yourself, might as well get the eMed or Optum or the other they specifically mention on the website. The chat I copied below left me still wondering  about the inconsistent application of the stated policy. I tried! 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for bringing this issue to light for everyone @12cruise2!

This chat was done about 15 minutes ago.

• [Garrett] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...
  • [Garrett] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line my name is Garrett. How may I assist you?
  • [NANCY XXXXX] I will be cruising to Alaska from Canada. Can I use the US government issued Covid test and have it proctored by any of several online proctoring services?
  • [Garrett] Hello Nancy. Unfortunately the Government issued Covid tests do not meet our requirements as they need to be Medically Observed. The only home test kits that would have Telehealth components so a technician can verify the results. Here is an example of such a test https://store.optum.com/carnival-cruises/ .
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] I would use an online proctoring service such as "Rapid Test and Trace". HAL cruisers have told me they used such and it was accepted by HAL for their cruise. I wanted to get an OK for that also.
  • [Garrett] That site, Rapid Test and Trace, provides a few different types of tests. As long as you purchase ones that have the "Observed Online Session" on them they would be accepted.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Hmmm. I was told that others have used the US government free tests and HAL accepted them with the Rapid Test and Trace monitoring. Are you sure that isn't accepted? If not, I wonder how those people got on their HAL cruises a couple weeks ago.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Canada's ArriveCAN app also accepted them for cruises to Canada.
  • [Garrett] If the test you are referring to has telehealth components than it would be accepted. If not, it would not be, I can only advise of policy, there may have been an exception made at the pier. ArriveCAN does not follow the Cruiseline requirements.
  • [NANCY XXXXXX] Okay, I appreciate your statement of policy. I guess there are conflicting applications of the policy. That's what I was hoping to clarify with you. I appreciate your help. Thank you
  • [Garrett] You are welcome! Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us again.
  • [Garrett] All Agents have left the conversation

Nancy, you have went above and beyond to try and get an answer. I think a better question to the CC community would be if anyone has had their test denied for boarding done by these proctoring sites. I believe the people from HAL answering the question think people are doing the home tests without medical proctoring. The on-line proctoring services all offer “medically observed” tests. I don’t believe they care which brand of test you take, just if it is medically observed. Then again, I can’t help but have this little nagging at the back of my mind that somehow kickbacks are involved from the sale of OptumRx tests. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

...I think a better question to the CC community would be if anyone has had their test denied for boarding done by these proctoring sites. ...Then again, I can’t help but have this little nagging at the back of my mind that somehow kickbacks are involved from the sale of OptumRx tests. 

That would probably be a simpler approach at this point. 

Ha ha.  I thought of that kickback possibility too.  😉