Which cruise line for Europe? Carnival or ?????

luv2trvlnow

45 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That sounds great!  Have you been on one, BlerkOne?

Not yet. I just started investigating. First I'm planning on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest (or perhaps the other direction). Still have too many bucket list items.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not yet. I just started investigating. First I'm planning on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest (or perhaps the other direction). Still have too many bucket list items.

Just be sure Europe gets enough rain before you go.  When the river is low your river cruise turns into a bus trip.  It has happened before.  Currently they are having a drought in Europe.  So I imagine the rivers are low.

6 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Just be sure Europe gets enough rain before you go.  When the river is low your river cruise turns into a bus trip.  It has happened before.  Currently they are having a drought in Europe.  So I imagine the rivers are low.

Yes, it will be Spring. If low, they sometimes have to bus you to another location and boat to continue.

20 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Good to know.  Thx!!

37 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, it will be Spring. If low, they sometimes have to bus you to another location and boat to continue.

In the Spring the water levels can be too high from rain and snow melt.  Then the riverboats are unable to get under some bridges.  So the same scenrio can happen.

At least I haven't heard of the rain and snow melt there being as bad as Yellowstone had this past June.  We arrived in the morning and by afternoon they closed the park and we had our reservations cancelled.  Lots of fun trying to get things figured out on the fly.  

6 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

In the Spring the water levels can be too high from rain and snow melt.  Then the riverboats are unable to get under some bridges.  So the same scenrio can happen.

It can, but I think it might be more an issue with the locks. As it is, many have to clear the top deck and much is designed to get short and small 

River cruising in Europe is very much different from ocean cruising 

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I went into a coffee bar in Amsterdam called "The Bulldog".  Very funky, cave like place.  I had a water.  It was fun.

Famous, but ..

Didja know

Good to know: Since 2008, the Netherlands has had a strict ban on smoking tobacco inside This means that you can’t smoke a cigarette or mixed tobacco-weed joint legally in any public indoor spaces, including Amsterdam coffeeshops. 🚭

Those are great ports and times in port as well. We just got off NCL and Kotor was 2-8 and Dubrovnik 6-2. Not the best. I cruised Med on Celebrity as well. I liked Celebrity best. But with the Med ports it is a very tiring vacation, at least for us it was running around in the heat to see everything. I have cruised Carnival once and I would say the only drawback would be the food. I find that the other cruiselines have better food on the buffet and dining room. But Carnival IMO has the best desserts and I liked the Five Guys and Mexican cantina a lot for lunch. I think you will generally enjoy your trip.