Which cruise line for Europe? Carnival or ?????

luv2trvlnow

We have booked the Pride for a B2B next year starting on September 29, 2023 (9 days) followed by the October 8, 2023 cruise for 10 days.  When reading the comments on another thread about the Pride being a disappointment, some people say that other cruise lines do Europe better.  

My question is how do they do it better?  These are our ports and times.  Are they bad ports?  Bad times in port?  What other factors would make the other cruise lines better.  This is our first European Cruise.

Get on ship in Rome

Naples 7-7

Day at Sea
Dubrovnik 8-6
Kotor, Montenegro 7-5
Corfu, Greece 7-4
Messina (Sicily) 9-6
Day at Sea
Livorno - Florence 7-7
Rome - Cruise 2 
Day at Sea
Day at Sea
Mykonos  9-6
Kusadasi (Ephesus) 7-5
Athens 6-5
Santorini 7-4
Katakolon 8-5
Messina (Sicily) 9-6
Naples 7-7

Arrive at Rome port

• Like 3

Excellent selection of ports. Other people have their own agendas - some never leave the ship. We've cruised the Med several times on Carnival and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

For us, the ports are what we are interested in. The ship is not the destination - it is just transportation from port to port and a place to sleep. You can spend more, but why?

Touring in all the ports will wear you out.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Excellent selection of ports. Other people have their own agendas - some never leave the ship. We've cruised the Med several times on Carnival and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

For us, the ports are what we are interested in. The ship is not the destination - it is just transportation from port to port and a place to sleep. You can spend more, but why?

I'm happy to read this as I'm looking for a Northern Europe cruise next summer and my usual cruise line NCL the pricing is outrageous, found a good deal on Carnival but hesitant from all the "party atmosphere" I've read regarding Carnival, but assuming a cruise in Europe would be a different dynamic then a 5 day Carribbean cruise

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, njkate said:

I'm happy to read this as I'm looking for a Northern Europe cruise next summer and my usual cruise line NCL the pricing is outrageous, found a good deal on Carnival but hesitant from all the "party atmosphere" I've read regarding Carnival, but assuming a cruise in Europe would be a different dynamic then a 5 day Carribbean cruise

Just go have fun

25 minutes ago, njkate said:

There's ZERO party atmosphere on Carnival's Europe cruises. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, njkate said:

My experience is that the party atmosphere notion  is exaggerated. We are retired 60-somethings and enjoy Carnival. Yes, people are having a good time;   but there are many quiet places if that's what you want. Perhaps we've lucked out but have rarely if ever encountered a drunk obnoxious passenger

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, ober134 said:

My experience is that the party atmosphere notion  is exaggerated. We are retired 60-somethings and enjoy Carnival. Yes, people are having a good time;   but there are many quiet places if that's what you want. Perhaps we've lucked out but have rarely if ever encountered a drunk obnoxious passenger

Hood to know! Thank you

19 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The ship is the destination for those that cruise the Caribbean all of the time just like it could be for someone that lives in Europe that has seen the ports over there multiple times. This was mentioned by someone who missed out on Greenland and was relegated to going to Norway instead.

If you're cruising in Europe for the first time obviously the ports are going to be more important but at the same time, you're on the ship more than you're in port so the ship you choose is indeed important. 

Carnival as usual is the price leader most of the time but since they only have a single ship in Europe there are other lines that provide more variety and choice.  If you wear rose colored glasses and think that Carnival does no wrong, choose the Pride. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The ship is the destination for those that cruise the Caribbean all of the time just like it could be for someone that lives in Europe that has seen the ports over there multiple times. This was mentioned by someone who missed out on Greenland and was relegated to going to Norway instead.

If you're cruising in Europe for the first time obviously the ports are going to be more important but at the same time, you're on the ship more than you're in port so the ship you choose is indeed important. 

Carnival as usual is the price leader most of the time but since they only have a single ship in Europe there are other lines that provide more variety and choice.  If you wear rose colored glasses and think that Carnival does no wrong, choose the Pride. 

Broad statement

The Enchanted Princess does a 21 day cruise out of Athens visiting many of the same ports with no duplication and only five at sea days, leaving on September 23.  Princess also has their EZAir program which provides round trip air at a reduced rate and also provides the flexibility to not having to pay until final payment.  Next year the Enchanted will be 3 years old versus the 20+ years that the Pride has been around.  Many don't care about the ship, while others factor it into their decision.  I personally would want my first cruise across the pond to go off without a hitch, unlike what Eli_6 went through on the Pride this week.

• Like 2

The ship is the destination for those who never leave the ship.

Carnival Corp has a LOT of ships in Europe. Carnival only sends one, maybe two, if any. Same with Alaska. They do so because it is the most popular American brand and Americans trust Carnival. You won't find a lot of foreigners on Carnival. Carnival Corp has no need to compete with itself more than it does.

If you want a cruise line that makes obnoxious PA announcements in 50 different languages, perhaps look elsewhere.

The onboard currency for Carnival will be US dollars and not monopoly money.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I personally would want my first cruise across the pond to go off without a hitch, unlike what Eli_6 went through on the Pride this week.

I have cruised the Med, the Baltics, Panama Canal, Alaska, Caribbean, and more on Carnival (and other lines), including a British Isles cruise from Dover on Carnival Legend (a sister ship to Carnival Pride), and not once, as in never, have had a cruise like what some allege. We did a b2b2b on Carnival Splendor that ended, started, and ended in Dover.

These are not normal times, the pandemic is still out there and there are supply chain issues and other factors outside of any cruise line control.

As with other cruise lines, of course Carnival has a discounted air program - Fly2Fun.

My first Med cruise (not my first cruise to Europe) was on Carnival, even before Carnival Splendor. I flew to Europe not even knowing my cabin assignment - the porter had to look up my cabin and write it on blank luggage tags at the port. No worries and one of the best cruises ever.

I don't understand the blinders some wear, but that is their problem. I suppose if you aren't young at heart. As Frankie sang -

Fairy tales can come true
It can happen to you if you're young at heart
For it's hard, you will find
To be narrow of mind if you're young at heart

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The Enchanted Princess does a 21 day cruise out of Athens visiting many of the same ports with no duplication and only five at sea days, leaving on September 23.  Princess also has their EZAir program which provides round trip air at a reduced rate and also provides the flexibility to not having to pay until final payment.  Next year the Enchanted will be 3 years old versus the 20+ years that the Pride has been around.  Many don't care about the ship, while others factor it into their decision.  I personally would want my first cruise across the pond to go off without a hitch, unlike what Eli_6 went through on the Pride this week.

Yes I looked at that cruise from Princess.  The cost for the 2 of us would be $9200 for a balcony.  The cost for the Pride is $4600.  So twice the cost.  We can use that $4600 for private excursions by locals who will know their port very well.  Also we are mostly interested in Greece, Italy, and Kusadasi for Ephesus.  We preferred these ports.  

I did read on the thread about the Pride being a disappointment, that you stated when you take your first trip across the pond it will not be on Carnival.  So currently you have no European experience to base your opinion on.  I don't either. But I will read everyone's thoughts and then make my decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I booked on Celebrity for next May.  This will be my first time away from Carnival but the itinerary is what I wanted.  I plan on being off the boat as much as possible and enjoying the ports.  The boat is my hotel and transportation so I don’t need to be in a suite and have all the perks Celebrity has with the Retreat and special restaurants. 

I agree with most comments on this thread.  Bottom line: it depends. If its a specific itinerary or port, then select the sailing. If its just to get away, then select whatever floats your boat in your budget. If its to experience a new or different ship, that's ok too. As I mentioned, we are primarily Carnival cruisers.... But there is an itinerary we want not available on CCL, so we booked Royal. Its all about choices... As long as I'm on a ship somewhere I'm happy. Expectations are in check and I count my blessings.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WhiteOptima said:

I booked on Celebrity for next May.  This will be my first time away from Carnival but the itinerary is what I wanted.  I plan on being off the boat as much as possible and enjoying the ports.  The boat is my hotel and transportation so I don’t need to be in a suite and have all the perks Celebrity has with the Retreat and special restaurants. 

Good for you. Enjoy! Nobody (almost nobody) is saying don't cruise on a specific line. If it works for you, great. Do your own research - don't let an armchair admiral make the wrong decision for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

The ship is NOT always the destination. I guess you speak for all

Never said it was the destination all of the time for everyone.  I said it was the destination if you've cruised the Caribbean over 35 times.  If you're going somewhere for the first time such as Europe, Alaska, Hawaii or the South Pacific then the ports obviously are more important but the ship choice should still be in the running when you choose which to cruise.  Some put cost at the top of their list and Carnival and MSC are the price leaders on both sides of the pond.

4 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Yes I looked at that cruise from Princess.  The cost for the 2 of us would be $9200 for a balcony.  The cost for the Pride is $4600.  So twice the cost.  We can use that $4600 for private excursions by locals who will know their port very well.  Also we are mostly interested in Greece, Italy, and Kusadasi for Ephesus.  We preferred these ports.  

I did read on the thread about the Pride being a disappointment, that you stated when you take your first trip across the pond it will not be on Carnival.  So currently you have no European experience to base your opinion on.  I don't either. But I will read everyone's thoughts and then make my decision.

Correct, have not crossed the pond yet and when we do we'll have about 65 cruises under our belts.  One thing I will ask though is if you were so concerned about saving money since excursions are so important, why spend the extra money for a balcony?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Correct, have not crossed the pond yet and when we do we'll have about 65 cruises under our belts.  One thing I will ask though is if you were so concerned about saving money since excursions are so important, why spend the extra money for a balcony?  

For us it's more important to have access to a balcony and if we need to stretch our money elsewhere, we will.  That's one reason why we cruise Carnival.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Because some people, like my wife & I put a priority on a balcony cabin...that's why. I'm sure some people will agree with me. :classic_wink:

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Because some people, like my wife & I put a priority on a balcony cabin...that's why. I'm sure some people will agree with me. :classic_wink:

I understand, but if you're off the ship everyday in Europe on an excursion, you don't get much time to spend on your balcony. It's different than the Caribbean or Alaska.