Waitlisted shore excursion and other questions.

mhoffrob

First, we are currently waitlisted for the Machu Picchu excursion on our Inca/Panama Canal cruise in March 2023.  This is a bucket list item for DH, so we are contemplating booking with a separate company to get there - but the HLA package (gold) is a bit more attractive to us.  Does HLA add another "batch" if enough people sign up to the waitlist?  Any odds on whether we might get in?  It's impossible to tell WHERE we fall on the waitlist, from what I can see on the website.  WOuld they possibly tell me if I call?

Also, this is a 17 day cruise - what would be the cost of a thermal suite pass?  Can't find that anywhere in packages, etc.  Can I buy that for myself, but not for DH (meaning only one of the two people in cabin)?

finally - we did the have-it-all package.  Can anywone share thoughts on whether upgrading to the premium drinks is a good option / does anyone have a list of the (or a link to a list) of the items in premium vs. standard.  I have been unable to find a 2022 list -just bar menus with prices.  WOuld like to see a list of the gins, rums, etc, as well as the beers at each level.

thanks so much!

We were recently on a waitlist for a shore excursion in Scotland.  After a week or so, they emailed us that they were adding an additional departure time and that they were removing us from the waitlist at that time, with a suggestion to book this additional departure time asap.  It took them approximately five days to make this additional departure time available to book on their website.  I checked their website several times a day waiting for this to be available to book.  We were successful in getting space!  Good luck to you!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:16 PM, mhoffrob said:

finally - we did the have-it-all package.  Can anywone share thoughts on whether upgrading to the premium drinks is a good option / does anyone have a list of the (or a link to a list) of the items in premium vs. standard.  I have been unable to find a 2022 list -just bar menus with prices.  WOuld like to see a list of the gins, rums, etc, as well as the beers at each level.

You should be able to find those on @Crew Newswebsite:

HAL Beverage Menus | Roger Jett Photography (rogerjett-photography.com)

Each bar may not have the same choices (hence all the individual pages). The limit is $11 for the Signature Beverage Package and $15 for the Elite. The cost of the liquor is the price of the drink! Wines included in either are only by the glass.

Dr'spin and I do not find the upgrade worth the cost. If you do decide to upgrade, or attempt to upgrade, be sure to do it before you have used the SBP included in your HIA package. Do not accept a sailaway drink from a roving steward! Rumor has it to go to any bartender (not server) and ask him to upgrade you. If they say they can't try another bar! 

We did a waitlist for an excursion in October this year and because people are still canceling cruises more than usual the list opened up and we got in.  It's a short time in port and we didn't want to do our own thing.  Good luck

Upgrading your drink package depends on what you like to drink. Most, including us, seem to feel the SBP meets our needs. Checking the bar menus against your tastes is the way to determine benefits to you.

Adding additional sections to a tour can be limited by the complexity of the tour, which Macchu Picchu is one of the most complex. Not all sites have unlimited capacities,  unlimited staff or other restrictions. Yes, additional capacity in a "See the City" tour might be easy, but something like Macchu Picchu is a whole different ballgame.

We were waitlisted for an excursion on a cruise we are taking in September.  Also a bucket list thing....L'anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland.  We looked and couldn't find an independent tour operator who was offering it.  Seems like tour companies closed down due to covid and not all have resumed.  Once final payment date came, the tour opened up and we got in.  I have seen others on our roll call mention they did also, as recently as a few days ago.  So there is always hope more spots will open up.

• 1 month later...

so, an update:

I made it to the top of the Silver Excursion waitlist.  But I have 72 hours to book or lose the spot.  If I book the spot, I will be removed from the Silver wait list.  So I called, first Shore Excursion agent could not stop asking me how I wanted to pay for the Silver package and did not understand my questions, so I asked for a supervisor.  He sent me into a transfer loop that 26 minutes later apparently had me on the general HLA phone system asking what I needed to do (so basically back to the beginnng of the phone tree).

Called back, explained my predicament, was basically told no one knows anything.  THere is no one in HLA who knows how long the waitlist is, where my place on it is, whether I go on to Silver b/c people dropped out or b'c they added a second grouping; No one knows my spot on the Gold list, how many people are on the excursion, whether a second grouping might be added. No manager, supervisors, or staff can answer these questions, but yes, if I book the Silver I lose all chance to get on the Gold.  

Don't mean  to whine ~~ just that I'm just incredibly frustrated that there are no answers.  This is a 3 day excursion, part of a once-in-a-lifetime cruise and experience, and whether or not we book it, or even stay on this cruise vs. travel only to Peru on our own hinges on answers no one seems to have.  I'm not sure if we should settle for the Silver or cross our fingers and hope for Gold??????

12 minutes ago, mhoffrob said:

so, an update:

I made it to the top of the Silver Excursion waitlist.  But I have 72 hours to book or lose the spot.  If I book the spot, I will be removed from the Silver wait list.  So I called, first Shore Excursion agent could not stop asking me how I wanted to pay for the Silver package and did not understand my questions, so I asked for a supervisor.  He sent me into a transfer loop that 26 minutes later apparently had me on the general HLA phone system asking what I needed to do (so basically back to the beginnng of the phone tree).

Called back, explained my predicament, was basically told no one knows anything.  THere is no one in HLA who knows how long the waitlist is, where my place on it is, whether I go on to Silver b/c people dropped out or b'c they added a second grouping; No one knows my spot on the Gold list, how many people are on the excursion, whether a second grouping might be added. No manager, supervisors, or staff can answer these questions, but yes, if I book the Silver I lose all chance to get on the Gold.  

Don't mean  to whine ~~ just that I'm just incredibly frustrated that there are no answers.  This is a 3 day excursion, part of a once-in-a-lifetime cruise and experience, and whether or not we book it, or even stay on this cruise vs. travel only to Peru on our own hinges on answers no one seems to have.  I'm not sure if we should settle for the Silver or cross our fingers and hope for Gold??????

What is the difference between silver and gold?  

To us, the biggest difference is taking the Hiriam Bingham train (gold) vs. the vista train (silver) - HB arrives later in the day when the park is much last crowded, includes meals on the train, etc.  I believe the hotels are different but that is of little consequence to us.  Gold also costs more per person (about $500 more each)

Edited by mhoffrob
typos

Just now, mhoffrob said:

To us, the biggest differnece is taking the Hiriam Bingham train (gold) vs. the vista train (silver) - HB arrives later in the day when the park is much last crowded, includes meals on the train, etc.  I believe the hotels are different but that is of little consequence to us.  Gold also costs more per person (about $500 more each)

What is the cancellation policy?  If it is cancellable, free of penalty, I would simply pay for the silver and immediately waitlist for gold.   If you simply don’t want silver remove yourself from the list.  We have traveled there independently.  Any driving should be done with a private driver from a reputable tour company.  If you go independent stay atop at the lodge. 

32 minutes ago, mhoffrob said:

so, an update:

I

The answers to all of these questions can be found once you are on the ship at the Shore Excursions desk. 

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

The answers to all of these questions can be found once you are on the ship at the Shore Excursions desk. 

As I stated - I may not get ON the ship if this can't be worked out - or I may pre-book with another vendor.  Once on the ship it is too late to worry that in two days I MIGHT get onto the GOld excursion.