The (not my) call for Celeb to go Adults only - is it even practical?

LMaxwell

I have cruised Celebrity quite a few times and there have never been an abundance of kids. The ones that are cruising, in my opinion, seem to be well behaved. The only time we've had a problem with people yelling in the solarium it was adults. Loud talkers at dinner...adults. People shoving others ...adults. I don't have kids and I think people who don't have kids are generally more bothered by other peoples' kids. But I'll be the first to say that in my experience, on Celebrity at least, some of the adults needed to be put in time out, lol

Edited by basil1
typo
  • Haha 1

One of the reasons I chose Celebrity as our first cruise, was that it did NOT cater to kids. We travel off season for the lower prices; I have never seen more than about 2 dozen kids on our cruises, and it has usually been less than 10. They have all been well behaved. I don't think going adults only would be a good move for them. If I truly wanted an adults only cruise, there are a couple options. 

A Disney cruise? Now that would drive me crazy, and they are far too expensive. 

First, let me say this, I love children, I have a few of my own, adults now.

Personally, I like cruises with only a few kids onboard.

No, unruly, kids, no adults not monitiring their charges.

If I wanted to cruise  with children I would cruise on NCL, Disney or RC.

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

First, let me say this, I love children, I have a few of my own, adults now.

Personally, I like cruises with only a few kids onboard.

No, unruly, kids, no adults not monitiring their charges.

If I wanted to cruise  with children I would cruise on NCL, Disney or RC.

So if you don’t want kids around, how do you think the rest of us feel?  😂

On 8/1/2022 at 3:34 AM, LMaxwell said:

I ran across another conversation in which the author very strongly called for Celebrity to go "Adults Only" on all their ships. I don't think it would be a wise business move. However, from my days studying for my Master's going through some coaching courses I've looked at it from an alternative point of view; even if I don't think it is a good business idea, what would it take to actually make that work? 

At first glance it seems like Celebrity just has too many ships and rooms to fill for that to work.  I don't really think it is a viable option unless Celebrity did a few changes. Shed beds.  Meaning too many ships to operate as adults only and double occupancy only. 

Longer cruises with more diverse itineraries. People who can afford to sustain the operations of this business model across a fleet are likely to want new and unique ports of call, new experiences. Celebrity could offer longer, segmented "Voyages" as packages, or more land and sea packages perhaps. 

Celebrity has dipped their feet in the "all inclusive" waters and receded because customers still wanted lower price points. Were those customers a pair of adults, or did they represent families across several rooms? I honestly don't know. 

What, in your estimation, would need to happen for Celebrity to go adults only but not go out of business? 

It would be totally unnecessary and counterproductive.

X's present mix pretty well fills the ships throughout the year and X claim at ever increasing revenue per person.

During holiday periods the ships attract families and during non holiday periods this reverts naturally to mainly adults. Longer itineraries also attract more adults and the longer the trip the older the passengers tend to be.

I consider X dropped its decision to make AI compolsary mainly because it impacted badly on many of its most loyal passengers which inturn lead to many cancellations. The biggest loser's were:

Elite+ who didn't drink alcohol and didn't need unlimited WiFi

Zenith who had their free Classic drinks package replaced by an upgrade to Premium - clearly the upgrade was worth much less.

Single passengers who were forced to pay for 2 lots of tips, 2 internet packages (ok it's possible to use this) and, worst of all, 2 drinks packages - how was that ever fair?

AI resulted in us cancelling 1 booking and moving another to Princess. We were about to book a second Princess cruise when the new pricing structure was introduced so that booking is now with X - at a saving of over £740 once we allow for the tips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

It would be totally unnecessary and counterproductive.

X's present mix pretty well fills the ships throughout the year and X claim at ever increasing revenue per person.

During holiday periods the ships attract families and during non holiday periods this reverts naturally to mainly adults. Longer itineraries also attract more adults and the longer the trip the older the passengers tend to be.

I consider X dropped its decision to make AI compolsary mainly because it impacted badly on many of its most loyal passengers which inturn lead to many cancellations. The biggest loser's were:

Elite+ who didn't drink alcohol and didn't need unlimited WiFi

Zenith who had their free Classic drinks package replaced by an upgrade to Premium - clearly the upgrade was worth much less.

Single passengers who were forced to pay for 2 lots of tips, 2 internet packages (ok it's possible to use this) and, worst of all, 2 drinks packages - how was that ever fair?

AI resulted in us cancelling 1 booking and moving another to Princess. We were about to book a second Princess cruise when the new pricing structure was introduced so that booking is now with X - at a saving of over £740 once we allow for the tips.

Sorry pressed to soon. Comparisons with Virgin are meaningless. Their current US programme is 4 and 5 night cruises from one port using one ship. Basically "booze" cruises. Viking is a better comparison but much more expensive and surely the Royal group has that covered with Silversea.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Gatordad1967 said:

I will say it again SHAME ON THE PERSON WHO SUGGESTED IT.  I never referred to the OP.  Maybe reading comprehension eludes you.

Just because all caps represents yelling and would therefore be louder and easier to hear IRL doesn't make it more "loud and clear" in the written word... in fact caps make reading comprehension more difficult, as there is less distinguishability among letters.

As for the board-shaming, don't be sucked in by the outrage industrial complex.  The purpose of the OP starting this thread was to create a friendly discussion, which is exactly what happened.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Gatordad1967 said:

I will say it again SHAME ON THE PERSON WHO SUGGESTED IT.  I never referred to the OP.  Maybe reading comprehension eludes you.

You need to find a productive hobby, chill comprehension eludes YOU!