Need Medical Coverage only...

teacherman

We are now 75 and 74 years old.  We have always done some very long and extensive trips, but now are probably going to be limited to week long cruises or a week at a resort somewhere.  No more strenuous activities as far as I can see.  We don't really need any more cancellation coverage, as we can absorb the lost cost of the trip itself if need be.  However, we are on Medicare and have a secondary, but it does not cover us outside of the USA.  So, where can we get just a policy for medical coverage and emergency evacuation?  All advice/information is welcome.   Thank you.

• Like 1

Personally, I buy a full coverage travel insurance policy, but, I only insure the trip cost at $500 per person. Like you, I can survive should I have to cancel the trip and lose out on any pre-paid costs.

By doing this, I get the full primary medical of $100K, evac of $250K, along with (since I live in Washington State) waiver for pre-existing conditions. All this for $35pp per trip.

Since the trip cost was $500 per person, that also gives me the small benefit of Trip Delay, etc in case of missed or cancelled flight enroute. Along with any other coverages I may have with CSR.

Edited by klfrodo

15 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Personally, I buy a full coverage travel insurance policy, but, I only insure the trip cost at $500 per person. Like you, I can survive should I have to cancel the trip and lose out on any pre-paid costs.

By doing this, I get the full primary medical of $100K, evac of $250K, along with (since I live in Washington State) waiver for pre-existing conditions. All this for $35pp per trip.

Since the trip cost was $500 per person, that also gives me the small benefit of Trip Delay, etc in case of missed or cancelled flight enroute. Along with any other coverages I may have with CSR.

@teacherman, this is excellent advice.  When looking for a plan for your state of residence the key items are:

• Primary medical coverage so you don't have to file with Medicare first.  If your "secondary" is a Medigap letter plan that offers limited foreign emergency travel coverage, then this is critical.  If not it just save you hassles and time if you have to make a claim.
  • $100K is usually a good minimum for medical coverage.  For your type of trips the evac limits of most plans should not be a concern.
  • Find a plan that will waive pre-existing conditions.  Many people have one without realizing it.  Even if you don't, you won't have to give the insurer access to all of your medical records to prove an incident was not related to a pre-existing condition.

If you will take at least three 7 day trips in a year, you might also want to look at a GeoBlue Trekker annual plan.  The essential plan should cost $294 per year for the two of you with a $200 annual deductible for non-network providers. At your ages, it is $100K of coverage per year, not per trip.  

On 8/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, klfrodo said:

What a great idea!! Do most travel policies allow this level of trip cost coverage or is there a specific one you use? 

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

What a great idea!! Do most travel policies allow this level of trip cost coverage or is there a specific one you use? 

You just need to be certain that the policy itself, or specific parts that you want to use, do not require that *all* pre-paid/non-refundable (check policy for wording) be included in the coverage amount.  There are a few that do have that requirement, but others do not.

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

The warning on using this strategy is that all insurances sold in the US is regulated by each individual State.

My State allows this strategy and still receive a waiver for pre-existing conditions. Many policies and States agree that all non refundable trip costs need to be included in the total trip cost to include a pre-existing condition waiver.

Interestingly, in my State, I cannot buy the GeoBlue Annual policies.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, klfrodo said:

The warning on using this strategy is that all insurances sold in the US is regulated by each individual State.

My State allows this strategy and still receive a waiver for pre-existing conditions. Many policies and States agree that all non refundable trip costs need to be included in the total trip cost to include a pre-existing condition waiver.

Interestingly, in my State, I cannot buy the GeoBlue Annual policies.

I think there are only two States where Geoblue is not sold (Washington and NY).  Why?  It is an issue with each States Insurance Commission where they apparently see their role as protecting parts of the insurance industry in their own State.   In a sense it is simply a "protectionist" policy where the main loser are the residents of those States.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, klfrodo said:

Would you mind sharing what company you buy travel insurance? It's nice to be able to compare.