Travel to San Gimigano

Skfskier

12 minutes ago, Skfskier said:

Is there any group or individuals traveling to San Gimignano when in Port at Livorno? I love this town and would like to travel there with a group or individuals.

s

Will you be there via a specific cruise?  If so, perhaps you can ask on that cruise roll call.

Post you request on the Roll Call for your sailing.  

If you go to the top of this page just under the blue banner your will see "Find Your Roll Call" use that link to select your ship and sailing and join the Roll Call.  

Just a hint if you are not familiar with Roll Calls, when find you Roll Call and open that and when you  want to post  Do Not Select Start a New Topic go to the last page and scroll to the bottom and the box that says Reply to This Topic.   If you read through the Roll Call you may find that someone has already arranged a tour and you may be able to join them.

Also look to see if your cruise offers a shore excursion or you could go to Trip Advisor and search for a private guide to take you there if the other options don't work out.

Keep in mind it's about a 90 minute drive each way from the port so around 3 hours of your day will be traveling. 

On 8/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, jelayne said:

Post you request on the Roll Call for your sailing.  

If you go to the top of this page just under the blue banner your will see "Find Your Roll Call" use that link to select your ship and sailing and join the Roll Call.  

Just a hint if you are not familiar with Roll Calls, when find you Roll Call and open that and when you  want to post  Do Not Select Start a New Topic go to the last page and scroll to the bottom and the box that says Reply to This Topic.   If you read through the Roll Call you may find that someone has already arranged a tour and you may be able to join them.

We have used this method countless times on many sailings to join tours for 6 to 8 passengers and sometimes for multiple private tours on the same sailing. 

Best ever was the four tours we booked with three other couples on one of our Med sailings. Two lived on the West coast, one in the Mid-west and us on the East. Turned out that not only did one of the woman who lived on the West coast grow up in the City as me on the East, but we also went to the same Catholic elementary school. She was younger than me so I asked her maiden name.    My schocked response was .....your Brother was my first crush and gave her my maiden name.

When we met up the next morning for that day's tour, the first thing she said to me was...."Paul remembers you". The story spread and we were the "talk of the ship".  We are still in contact so many years later. 

I will toss out a reasonable solution that works great for 4 folks.  Simply rent a car and drive!  A local rental car company "Sifracar" has pretty decent prices and will generally deliver a car right to the pier (and you drop it at the pier upon return).  I do not know their current "cruise ship special" pricing but it is likely in the $100 - $130 range.  Split 4 ways this is pretty cheap transportation.  A nice full day itinerary can be to visit both San Gimignano (parking is around the outside of the walls) and Volterra (there is a decent underground parking garage as you enter the town).   You could also hire a taxi for the day although they will likely want at least 300 Euros for the entire day.

If anyone is curious, going to San Gimignano via public transportation is not a great option.  It means you must get to and from the Livorno train station and then get a local train to Poggibonsi.  From their you need to either take a bus or find a taxi to get the last 8 miles to San Gimignano.  It is not a practical way to spend a port day.

One other option, with a car, is to combine a quick visit to Siena and San Gimignano.  We did this on a long port day, but felt somewhat rushed because of the extra distance to Siena.

Hank

• Like 1

Check with Rome in Limos as we have used them for a group of 6 and had a great time.   The took us to a lunch at a vineyard and then into San Gimignamo and got us back to ship.

• Like 1