American Diner Is Wasted Space

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I'd like to see them install a roller skate path between the tables in American.  Free drinks, roller skating on top deck of a moving ship.   I see no liability issues at all with that, but I think that would be a lot of fun.

When we were the Getaway in March there was never anyone there.   The problem to me is that there's nothing to draw you in.  Margaritaville had the whole Carribean Jimmy Buffet vibe, but this is just, well a diner.  They are a dime a dozen here in NJ and the food is food you can not only get on land, but you can get on board as well.   So why would I bother and have to PAY to do it.  I agree about what Carnival does and how well that works.   Not only Guy's, but the Mexican place (Blue Iguana?) and the pizza place (with absolutely horrible pizza, RCCL pizza joint, also free, is much better) are available if you want to change it up from the buffet for a quick lunch.  Now if they did something like RCCL's Johnny Rockets (at least that's a name people remember, and they make good shakes), or some other land based establishment that can draw fans in, that might work.  Even with the crazy location, people might try and seek it out.

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Margaritaville at least had a nice complimentary breakfast buffet..small but fresh, easy to get to order eggs, etc…

Yes, we ate there a few times on the Escape.   Quick, easy and not crowded with a great atmosphere.

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Margaritaville at least had a nice complimentary breakfast buffet..small but fresh, easy to get to order eggs, etc…

When we were on the Joy in early 2020, the American Diner had a small breakfast setup, mostly sandwiches and other pre-made items.  Loved that as that is my preferred breakfast.

Did the Joy have the first American Diner?  I thought it did as it was originally made for the Chinese market and was a carryover from that remodel.  I thought they took away the Margaritaville restaurants and replaced them all with American Diner later.

3 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Did the Joy have the first American Diner?  I thought it did as it was originally made for the Chinese market and was a carryover from that remodel.  I thought they took away the Margaritaville restaurants and replaced them all with American Diner later.

Jimmy took his ball and went and branded an entire cruise ship..no one restaurant for him. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/2/2022 at 6:06 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

Why not convert to a fast food and complementary Mexican restaurant.

Call it Salsa and have a salsa bar. Why not also have it be a place with a huge variety of tequilas and margaritas.

On the one Carnival booze cruise I did we ate lunch (and snacks) almost every day at the Blue Iguana Taco Bar.  It was always packed and always good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Shrike said:

On the one Carnival booze cruise I did we ate lunch (and snacks) almost every day at the Blue Iguana Taco Bar.  It was always packed and always good.

Multiple Royal ships also have a pretty decent free Mexican option on the pool deck too.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:06 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

Nobody was ever there on our cruise other than embarkation day lunch.

Why pay extra for a burger when you can get one elsewhere for free?

Why not convert to a fast food and complementary Mexican restaurant.

Call it Salsa and have a salsa bar. Why not also have it be a place with a huge variety of tequilas and margaritas.

What ideas do you have for this wasted space?

We only eat there on the first day because it's free. Otherwise, we wouldn't even go in there!! 

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Jimmy took his ball and went and branded an entire cruise ship..no one restaurant for him. 🙂

Virgin went and branded their own cruise ship, too, but I don't plan on practicing the brand name.

• Haha 1

I just got off a 7 day cruise - I saw a total of one family eating in the American diner throughout the week. I looked at the menu -- um -- everything you can get elsewhere for free. The cruise staff was just standing around fiddling their thumbs. The waiters and waitresses work so hard but working in the American Diner must be easy street. No stress cause nobody eats here. Enjoy the food -- Just got off the Getaway and all the restaurants were incredible. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:47 AM, cruiseny4life said:

When I lived in CT, D'Angelos and a local pho place were my go to lunch options when in the office.

Off topic, but there was a D'Angelos and a pho place near my office in CT! The D'Angelos is gone, but the pho place is still doing well.