Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

11 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Looking forward to following along and learning something new along the way.

You never disappoint! Enjoy every minute!

I will be flying into Newark in October and need to make overnight reservations before our Celebrity cruise. Although I have researched hotels in the area I have not found the ‘right one’ and wonder if you would recommend yours? 
Thanks,

Barbara

Definitely not Embassy Suites.   

Actually many on our Roll Call are staying at Country Inn.   It is right across the street.    Their shuttle driver was nice enough to give us a lift after waiting on the phone for over an hour and no one would answer and no shuttle's.    Country Inn looks very nice and their staff seem respectful and helpful.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Thank you so much for the info!  I have seen you also on the NZ board, so hello again!  If all goes well, we will be boarding the Eclipse on March 26.  Sounds like Jim will also be heading to NZ, I see you asked if he will be on the Edge.  We have been thinking of changing from the Eclipse to the Edge as the itineraries are very similar, however we are keen on the trans-Pacific aspect, sailing back to North America, and it doesn't seem that the Edge will be doing that.  

And yes, I am following the roll calls for the first Celebrity ship to hit NZ, in October.  Let's hope all goes well!  Thank you again!

Apologies for not remembering you from the NZ board, must pay more attention to names! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Redking said:

Apologies for not remembering you from the NZ board, must pay more attention to names! 

You do such a good job.   It is definitely hard to keep track of us all unless your were a teacher.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely not Embassy Suites.   

Actually many on our Roll Call are staying at Country Inn.   It is right across the street.    Their shuttle driver was nice enough to give us a lift after waiting on the phone for over an hour and no one would answer and no shuttle's.    Country Inn looks very nice and their staff seem respectful and helpful.

I appreciate your input and I will look into the Country Inn. 
LOVE your pictures of Summer in NY City! 

• Like 1

Next we walked past St Patric’s Cathedral 

7B21AA29-4EE7-4D98-856C-32F6612CA7D6.thumb.jpeg.a2889e98503ba422ecb58a0842d17719.jpeg

And past Radio City Musical Hall.  Ahhh so many memories.  My father use to take us there on Thanksgiving weekend to see the Christmas Show. 

62ECEF06-FB5E-4D3E-B5A5-D38751E36B7A.thumb.jpeg.04c664f1ed51ad0238fd512302fc289c.jpeg

Final stop was the food hall at Grand Central.  Passing the beautiful public library.  A must see if haven’t visited. 

AF780051-44D6-4617-9D17-6A6406AB23AD.thumb.jpeg.fb1203a7ce73ba2086f008c439ecec0f.jpeg

73792C5A-97D1-4616-BE23-C62235AFC3D9.thumb.jpeg.b863c48d5c1317aea2ecacb72e6bf9c7.jpeg

CAEE452B-E7B5-441E-A990-9C107DEF26FE.thumb.jpeg.2d7f8fa317590d4bb683fa83440c5801.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

I appreciate your input and I will look into the Country Inn. 
LOVE your pictures of Summer in NY City! 

It is so much fun.   While living on Long Island my buddy and I would hop on the LI RR into the city and visit the museums as well as the World's Fare.   Times were so different back then and I always felt safe.

• Like 3

Jim:

Wishing you a most wonderful cruise!!!   You have a great crew onboard, you have a fantastic hotel Director Deborah and a fantastic front desk manager Bianca.  These two ladies are really on top of their game and I have no doubt you will have a magical cruise!  Travel safe and well.  Safe Sails.  

Edited by cruiseerf
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is so much fun.   While living on Long Island my buddy and I would hop on the LI RR into the city and visit the museums as well as the World's Fare.   Times were so different back then and I always felt safe.

Yup times have changed..We only go into Manhattan for  serious medical appts, Broadway shows/ concerts or museum.  The Long Island RR is expensive and NY not as safe as it  once was....Sad!

But you hit the highlights and took great pics,,thanks for posting,

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

Jim:

Wishing you a most wonderful cruise!!!   You have a great crew onboard, you have a fantastic hotel Director Deborah and a fantastic front desk manager Bianca.  These two ladies are really on top of their game and I have no doubt you will have a magical cruise!  Travel safe and well.  Safe Sails.  

Thanks and looking forward.    Deborah doesn't ring a bell but look forward to meeting her. 

• Like 2

Ok Book Reading Time -    @GeorgiaPeach51 -  Joanie thanks so much for the list.

I'm reading 4 or 5 series currently -

Chris Carter -  Robert Hunter Series -   I just started #5 One by One

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series -    Really get a kick out of his novels.   Based on the Body Farm at UT Knoxville.    The forensic lab and his office are very familiar to me.    My first Semester at U.T.  My dorm was in the Jock Dorm built into Neyland Football Stadium -  His office is just about where my room was. 

Joe R. Lansdale -  Hap and Leonard -  probably one of the most politically incorrect novel you will ever read - two Red Necks as they take justice into their own hands.   Keeps me in stitches.

Karen Slaughter -   Grant Country Line series.   Also Will Trent series.

Patricia Cornwell  - Andy Brazil Series

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok Book Reading Time -    @GeorgiaPeach51 -  Joanie thanks so much for the list.

I'm reading 4 or 5 series currently -

Chris Carter -  Robert Hunter Series -   I just started #5 One by One

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series -    Really get a kick out of his novels.   Based on the Body Farm at UT Knoxville.    The forensic lab and his office are very familiar to me.    My first Semester at U.T.  My dorm was in the Jock Dorm built into Neyland Football Stadium -  His office is just about where my room was. 

Joe R. Lansdale -  Hap and Leonard -  probably one of the most politically incorrect novel you will ever read - two Red Necks as they take justice into their own hands.   Keeps me in stitches.

Karen Slaughter -   Grant Country Line series.   Also Will Trent series.

Patricia Cornwell  - Andy Brazil Series

Since you lived in Ireland for a while you might enjoy Seamus O’Reilly’s “Did Ye Hear My Mammy Died”. Obviously not a happy title but a story about a dad raising 11 children alone written with great Irish humor.

On another note, we’ve stayed in 6 Hilton properties since late May, and unless you ask for it your hotel room will not be serviced.
Katie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Since you lived in Ireland for a while you might enjoy Seamus O’Reilly’s “Did Ye Hear My Mammy Died”. Obviously not a happy title but a story about a dad raising 11 children alone written with great Irish humor.

On another note, we’ve stayed in 6 Hilton properties since late May, and unless you ask for it your hotel room will not be serviced.
Katie

Thanks for the info.  Have it on my list.   Years back we read Billy Elliot by Tom Holland.   We still kid about people being Idgets. 

I guess my expectations were too high.  We haven't stayed in a Hotel for more than 1 night since Covid.   Iain thought it might be a Covid thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the info.  Have it on my list.   Years back we read Billy Elliot by Tom Holland.   We still kid about people being Idgets. 

I guess my expectations were too high.  We haven't stayed in a Hotel for more than 1 night since Covid.   Iain thought it might be a Covid thing.

Ha, ha Jim, all of my grandparents were Irish immigrants, the word eejit was well installed in my brain at an early age, still use it.

Have a great cruise.

Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, lexmiller said:

We flew First Class on United this June, Newark to Anchorage - no access to the lounge!  We were disappointed.  Only a very few of the coast to coast routes are given access to the lounge, and even though Anchorage is quite the flight from Newark, that route does not qualify.  😲

i remember when they started the directions were limited.  I flew from Dulles to LA  with an onward flight to New Zealand.  At the time I think only Delta had started the select no overseas required. 

when we flew to Vancouver for an Alaska trip that did count as international, of course.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree with the risk both in the Terminal ans well as plan.    We we about the only ones masked for both.   None of the crew and few of the passengers chose to mask up.   Another risk might be the shuttle to the AirPort.   Totally packed but 80% crew.

Out bound masks were mandatory.  The return was just after masking being lifted.  About 50-60% maybe masked at first as the terminal still required it!   We flew from jfk so it was just the trains which weren’t particularly full, the hotel shuttle was near empty both ways. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be putting on the miles late 2023-24.    After the New Zealand cruise we are flying home but fling back to Sydney in April 2024 to do the Repositioning From Sydney to HNL and HNL to Vancouver. 

our TA recommended Air New Zealand and we enjoyed it. The trays are wide enough to join a companion for dinner!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Looking forward to following along and learning something new along the way.

You never disappoint! Enjoy every minute!

I will be flying into Newark in October and need to make overnight reservations before our Celebrity cruise. Although I have researched hotels in the area I have not found the ‘right one’ and wonder if you would recommend yours? 
Thanks,

Barbara

I know you weren’t addressing me but i recommend you check out Trinity reservations for good deals. You can tell from there which ones are reasonably close.  We usually stay at one of the Marriott owned hotels, often the Fairfield.  The Tru hotel is the newest in the string of hotels near the airport.  I’ve stayed in the Springhill and the Courtyard.  I prefer the Springhill but it’s only one night!  

The Marriott at the airport has a restaurant onsite, I haven’t been in their rooms though, th restaurant and lobby were up to par several years ago. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I know you weren’t addressing me but i recommend you check out Trinity reservations for good deals. You can tell from there which ones are reasonably close.  We usually stay at one of the Marriott owned hotels, often the Fairfield.  The Tru hotel is the newest in the string of hotels near the airport.  I’ve stayed in the Springhill and the Courtyard.  I prefer the Springhill but it’s only one night!  

The Marriott at the airport has a restaurant onsite, I haven’t been in their rooms though, th restaurant and lobby were up to par several years ago. 

Thanks for the recommendations; I appreciate your input.  I usually prefer a Marriott product and I will focus on these.