Anyone on Grandeur lately?

RoyalC

Everyone is mad if I post my honest feelings. The crew is hard working and I liked the WJ especially and feel they were more innovative on different themed nights than liberty. I prefer my pizza emerging hot from the oven. The diamond club has a awesome aft view. I think I just prefer a bigger ship to walk around.

It was a nice ship and if you are just wanting a cruise to sit and watch the ocean it's nice. Just felt small to me. Fewer things for sale in the shops. No promenade but a nice view of the ocean for several decks. I watched the ocean a lot from deck 6 near the coffee shop. Coffee shop to me would benefit from 2 pts of access like liberty. One for coffee and one for food. Long line by mid morning.

Food seemed better seasoned and was tasty. I'd do it again if prices go that low again, but I have liberty etc coming up and doubt I will before it leaves again. See my signature. I did 4 legs on grandeur and was ready to get off. 

I think I missed the promenade area perhaps .. but nothing to put my finger on.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Everyone is mad if I post my honest feelings. The crew is hard working and I liked the WJ especially and feel they were more innovative on different themed nights than liberty. I prefer my pizza emerging hot from the oven. The diamond club has a awesome aft view. I think I just prefer a bigger ship to walk around.

It was a nice ship and if you are just wanting a cruise to sit and watch the ocean it's nice. Just felt small to me. Fewer things for sale in the shops. No promenade but a nice view of the ocean for several decks. I watched the ocean a lot from deck 6 near the coffee shop. Coffee shop to me would benefit from 2 pts of access like liberty. One for coffee and one for food. Long line by mid morning.

Food seemed better seasoned and was tasty. I'd do it again if prices go that low again, but I have liberty etc coming up and doubt I will before it leaves again. See my signature. I did 4 legs on grandeur and was ready to get off. 

I think in your particular case 4B2B with such a limited itinerary was one of the biggest factors. Understandably you have restricted cruising to a port you can drive to but you have done multiple sailings to the same places on that ship and others, so that coupled  with small ship was probably just too much and other problems became magnified.

I don’t think we have done Grandeur but we have done every other.Vision class including several TransAtlantics. 

We actually enjoy the smaller ships but we are not looking for family entertainment or multiple dining venues so it really depends what you are looking for. We tend to do longer sailings with more ports and find Vision class fine for that. We have done multiple  B2B sailings out of Galveston both 5- and 7-day,  which are a nice break but I wouldn’t want to do more than that in one go - not really a big fan of returning to home port and setting off again. It is nice not to have to pack and get off but it always seems to be much more of a wasted day than a sea day on a 10-day cruise and depending on time of year it can be cooler or rough seas coming and going out of Gulf.

Recent 5 day B2B’s were on Adventure but we have done Enchantment in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

What happened to the promenade on the Grandeur?

38 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I think in your particular case 4B2B with such a limited itinerary was one of the biggest factors. Understandably you have restricted cruising to a port you can drive to but you have done multiple sailings to the same places on that ship and others, so that coupled  with small ship was probably just too much and other problems became magnified.

I don’t think we have done Grandeur but we have done every other.Vision class including several TransAtlantics. 

We actually enjoy the smaller ships but we are not looking for family entertainment or multiple dining venues so it really depends what you are looking for. We tend to do longer sailings with more ports and find Vision class fine for that. We have done multiple  B2B sailings out of Galveston both 5- and 7-day,  which are a nice break but I wouldn’t want to do more than that in one go - not really a big fan of returning to home port and setting off again. It is nice not to have to pack and get off but it always seems to be much more of a wasted day than a sea day on a 10-day cruise and depending on time of year it can be cooler or rough seas coming and going out of Gulf.

Recent 5 day B2B’s were on Adventure but we have done Enchantment in the past. 

I really wanted to do adventure but when I had a break between what was booked grandeur was there. I was disappointed as I really wanted to try adventure, I admit it. 

I have radiance booked for just the 10 day jan 30th and feel a bit worried. Grandeur I had more than one cruising friend in a JS below the solarium complaining about late night noise. Solarium cafe closed at 3 pm.

I'm reading on radiance they are closing it at midnight and there is no food other than ordering delivery to your cabin between midnight and breakfast. I have a bad habit of being up during the night and wandering around. Idk if they close it early because of the noise over the heads of JS or not sailing full. But radiance sounds like food choice even more cut back. 

I booked radiance for the ports. It goes to Panama and Columbia... and some others. I havent yet gone there. I'll grab some cookies for middle of the night wanderings  .. I did jewel long time ago and thought it was beautiful but was with a friend not solo. I'm not sure I'm a small ship fan but want to see those new ports. Jan 30th. Just the one.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I really wanted to do adventure but when I had a break between what was booked grandeur was there. I was disappointed as I really wanted to try adventure, I admit it. 

I have radiance booked for just the 10 day jan 30th and feel a bit worried. Grandeur I had more than one cruising friend in a JS below the solarium complaining about late night noise. Solarium cafe closed at 3 pm.

I'm reading on radiance they are closing it at midnight and there is no food other than ordering delivery to your cabin between midnight and breakfast. I have a bad habit of being up during the night and wandering around. Idk if they close it early because of the noise over the heads of JS or not sailing full. But radiance sounds like food choice even more cut back. 

I booked radiance for the ports. It goes to Panama and Columbia... and some others. I havent yet gone there. I'll grab some cookies for middle of the night wanderings  .. I did jewel long time ago and thought it was beautiful but was with a friend not solo. I'm not sure I'm a small ship fan but want to see those new ports. Jan 30th. Just the one.

I think you will enjoy the change of itinerary. 

we were actually booked on Grandeur B2B (round trip Barbados then bringing her into Galveston) but we decided it could get too expensive if things went wrong with testing/ flights/accommodation in Barbados since we would have only have had a one-way flight TO Barbados booked. We changed to the repositioning cruise on Adventure FROM Galveston instead. It  had a really enjoyable itinerary and visited Panama Canal ports and Cartagena (should have gone to Colon but that was cancelled before we sailed) but of course required flight back from Newark so not as convenient for you.

we are thinking of one of the Radiance 10 days too. It has been a long time since we were on that ships so there are some new specialty restaurants. Cookies/fruit in your room seems a good idea.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

They are referring to Royal Promenade (Voyager, Freedom, Oasis classes).  Quantum class has Royal Esplanade.  Vision and Radiance class has Centrum.

Oh.  I wonder why they didn't say Royal Promenade?  To me, the promenade is the outside promenade. Last time I was on the Grandeur it was still a real wood surface.

14 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Oh.  I wonder why they didn't say Royal Promenade?  To me, the promenade is the outside promenade. Last time I was on the Grandeur it was still a real wood surface.

If I'm on liberty it never once occurred to me to say hey im going to the royal promenade to the coffee shop. Or whatever. Lol never once have I heard anyone who thought I meant the walking area outside.

The pizza on grandeur is up in the solarium. Its closed in unlike liberty for instance and hot and humid this time of year. The pizza is up here and to me wasnt as hot as when I see it coming out of the oven on liberty. Pizza was just better on liberty. Imo. And it wasnt fun to sit up there, too hot. Not saying anything people cant adapt to, it's a cruise. It just wasnt my favorite. I like to sit and read when I have pizza. The solarium wasnt as nice a place to sit at their tables and relax. Just me and how I cruise.